Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New Fortress Nobel - Magician  (Read 5963 times)

Carp McDwarfEater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Fortress Nobel - Magician
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 09:35:51 am »

wizardry shouldn't be something dwarves can just teach themselves by doing some menial labor set to repeat.

How do you suppose the understanding of magic began in the game?

It began from elves hitting rocks together to learn something about the world and i think the dwarfs could do the same.

As of now all magic is learned from artifact tablets created by the gods, which are like the rare tomes I mentioned. Bashing rocks together or just shouting random words in hopes of discovering a spell seems ridiculous.

And for the subject of researching non-nagical things like metallurgy or mechics, I have no complaint against having a dozen science dwarves. Alchemy is another story, being scientific in mixing medicines
and poisons but magical in that it involves transmutations and love potions. Therefore, it should probably be split into two different skills/labors.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:37:30 am by Carp McDwarfEater »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 09:57:20 am »

Even if we get wizards just walking around with magical professions, I think there should still be a Court Wizard noble or "Magician" or "High Wizard" or similar. A bit like how the Chief Medical Dwarf is the leader of the medical workers. Perhaps he would be given tasks by the duke or monarch to cast various spells as mandates and demands, but also coordinate other magical activities with the other wizards, a bit like the manager.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:59:12 am by Owlbread »

Volour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 09:38:31 pm »

And complex system would have to be installed to be able to access said spells. They could also take a certain amount of wizards to complete a spell that lasts only so long. Simpler the spells like a fire ball to say something complex like a shield spell that could require three to four wizards depending on size etc. Which would tire them easily. They would almost have to have a separate type of military screen. Instead of squads individuals can be selected to summon, study etc.

That's how I could see wizards working in df. I'm entertaining the idea.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:41:51 pm by Volour »
Adapted to the caves

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 01:58:30 am »

Why exactly do fortress dwarves need magic, and why would they consider it to be worthwhile to dabble in when they have steel, adamantine, and magma? It seems equivalent to suggesting that modern armies need bows and spears to go along with their tanks and artillery.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 02:05:19 am »

Why exactly do fortress dwarves need magic, and why would they consider it to be worthwhile to dabble in when they have steel, adamantine, and magma? It seems equivalent to suggesting that modern armies need bows and spears to go along with their tanks and artillery.

You would not have to use it if you don't want to, we would just be really interested in it.

The same argument could be made about training animals, whats the point? steel clad dwarfs can kill anything anyway.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 12:28:18 pm »

But magic could be oh so much more powerful than any adamantine sword or magma flow.

Volour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 01:58:31 pm »

And could possibly cause tantrum spiral easily if one were to go crazy batshit, which seems highly common amongst wizards etc
Adapted to the caves

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 01:59:39 pm »

And could possibly cause tantrum spiral easily if one were to go crazy batshit, which seems highly common amongst wizards etc

My good sir, tantrum spirals would be the least of your worries if your wizard went batshit crazy.

Volour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 02:24:13 pm »

It just make things more interesting. Throw a few in the goblins armies as well while we're talking about it.
Adapted to the caves

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 02:36:22 pm »

It just make things more interesting. Throw a few in the goblins armies as well while we're talking about it.

Your grand wizard goes berserk, turns the mayor (the best friend of everyone in the fortress and mother of 5) inside out and causes firebreathing capybaras with no eyes to swarm all over your corridors, burning and ravenously devouring everything in sight. A tantrum spiral sends your fortress totally out of control as a result of the mayor's death. Magical broomsticks sweeping the floors become violent and jam themselves in the jeweller's gullet. Self-writing quills leap from their pages and stab scribes in the neck. Magical purple fires in the forges blaze out of control, consuming the metalsmiths and rendering half your fortress inaccessable. Suddenly... a vile force of darkness has arrived. An enormous swirling vortex gradually appears in the sky over the gore-strewn battlefield, sucking in the foliage and corpses and turning the very ground to crystal glass below it. Cornered by goblin invaders, berserk fortress guardsmen and capybara monsters, maddened with fear, your last miners pierce one of the great blumetal columns of the magma sea and then... it was all over. Eventually, the vortex swallows the fortress whole before exploding violently, leaving only desert for miles around.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:48:51 pm by Owlbread »

Volour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 02:49:49 pm »

Oh you know you would like to see that.
Adapted to the caves

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 02:50:46 pm »

I most certainly do.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 09:50:55 pm »

Magic is like a Swiss Army Knife that includes computer, lockpick, and bazooka attachments. It's absurd to say that steel and magma invalidate magic. Players are already using captured necromancers to all sorts of ends; imagine if magic was more versatile and controllable. Adamantine doesn't invalidate magic wither, but it's unheard of by dwarves before your fortress (in theory) and so deserves separate mention.

...This is supposed to be a downside?

I most certainly do.
Take out the randomness for randomness's sake and sure, me too.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 07:46:03 am »

I most certainly do.
Take out the randomness for randomness's sake and sure, me too.

Not this again.

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 06:59:05 pm »

Comon ladies dont start this :P
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}