Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Drunk Adventurer: Necropia Prologue  (Read 3548 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Drunk Adventurer: Necropia Prologue
« on: December 07, 2012, 02:29:42 pm »

I've been reading Drunk Fortress and I've been enjoying it. I also enjoy drinking. And I have the flu. Seriously, it’s pretty bad. For the past three days I had to work with the flu because I can’t afford to stay home. I might be healthy already if I could have stayed home, but as it stands I’ve been spiking a fever pretty regularly and going through boxes of tissues like crazy. Today I blew my nose and then nearly passed out. I literally had to lie on the floor with my feet in the air to hold onto consciousness. That’s probably not a good sign. Thank god it’s the weekend at last and I can relax.

As luck would have it, the local "home remedy" for the flu is drinking copious amounts of slivovice, a local liqueur brewed from plums. It's pretty highly alcoholic, and I've been sipping it all evening. So, as you may have already guessed by now given what I’ve written so far, I’m pretty drunk already. Fortunately I have MAD drunk skills (years of practice) and I can still type and maintain a relatively cogent narrative despite my poor decision making and other hilarious side effects of alcohol. The downside being that I tend to ramble. Not that I’ve done that already, right?

More to the point, I’ve been planning a new adventurer succession game for about a week now. Previous succession games (The Museum and my creation, the Adventurer Retirement Home) have been based around bringing objects to a particular location and going down in history as a survivor of Adventures, but this one will be different. I spent many hours (too many to admit) creating an incredibly hostile, mostly-evil, and very old (over 4000 years) world populated primarily by necromancers and zombies. At the center of this world, in the most hostile area, is a volcano surrounded by necromancer towers. (It was not easy to make this happen in world gen, but I managed it.) This area is in a valley surrounded by mountains, and outside of the mountains are more necromancer towers and what remains of civilization. I’ll upload a map when I’m more sober. At this volcano I plan to build a “haven” tower designed as the last refuge for civilized sentient beings. The purpose of the succession game will be to start at one of the fringe civilizations as a peasant with no skills whatsoever, and somehow survive the trek over the mountains and into the haven tower without being torn apart by zombies. Also, automatic lose if someone lets a zombie into the tower.

What I’m about to embark on right now in my drunken state is a sort of prequel to this succession game. I’m going to start an adventurer and drunkenly navigate to the future site of the tower, and try to remember to take screen shots and record my adventure on the way.

Erm… I hope I didn’t ruin it by telling the whole story in advance. But there will be a twist! I have planned a twist which I have not yet spoiled. Also I will continue to drink. Just took a sip of slivovice to prove I mean business.

I have nicknamed the world “Necropia” because it seems appropriate and because I can’t remember how to figure out the name of the world after it’s been created.

Spoiler: Chapter One (click to show/hide)

Okay well, I might not finish this tonight. Anyway, here’s the beginning! The drunker I get, the more rambly it is likely to get! This is why men and women are different. When men do a drunk fortress, they type less. When women try a drunk adventurer, we write so much that we even bore ourselves. BUT WE CANNOT STOP IT.

Did you guys notice how I managed to upload and include the images even before sobering up? I bet you guys don't even believe I'm drunk. That is how incredible my drunk fu is.

But seriously, I've had like half a bottle of slivovice. Granted it's only 45% alcohol, but still. That's a lot more alcohol than I normally drink. And I'm NOT STOPPING NOW.

(sip)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 09:28:04 am by Sappho »

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
Re: Drunk Adventurer: Necropia Prequel
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 02:37:51 pm »

A great idea. Keep us posted!
By the way, i missread the name on the first time reading it..
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 02:39:29 pm »

What did you misread it as? I need to be spoonfed subtlety at the moment.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 07:41:19 pm »

Nice, reminds me of Mordor. Like if the entire world was Mordor. And that is awesome.
You should try to rescue as many people as you can, and bring them to the tower. Be a hero!
See you at the adventurers retirement home, it's almost my turn!

PS. You drink like a dwarf.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Drunk Adventurer: Necropia Prologue
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 10:55:01 pm »

Well I went to bed shortly after that last post. Took ages to get to sleep, then woke up about an hour ago and still can't get back to sleep. It's 4:45 now. I'm totally sober but still sick. Guess the slivovice didn't work this time. I will resume my attempts to sleep after I post this. But I figured maybe I should get out of bed and do something to try to reset my flu-addled brain and remind it that it needs rest.

When I awoke I immediately thought "oh armok what did I do this time," but that story came out better than I thought! Not nearly as much ranting on about how drunk I was as I remembered. This seems to be my downfall... As my drunkenness increases, I tend to remain perfectly coherent while spending an increasing amount of time raving about how drunk I am and how amazed everyone must be that I am so coherent despite my drunkenness. The concern seeming to be that everyone believe that I really am drunk and not faking it for... I don't know. Do people fake being drunk? I must be a very annoying drunk. Imagine being at a party standing next to a girl who seems pretty with it but won't shut up about how drunk she is. Oh armok am I really that person... :C

I actually only played the game for about 20 minutes and spent the rest of the time trying to keep my screen shots organized (mostly failed at this part) and writing. So I didn't get very far. I will continue this when I've had a more reasonable amount of sleep, but I won't be drunk. I believe too much alcohol is probably counterproductive when trying to overcome a bad flu.

Also, I went ahead and fixed the title, replacing "prequel" with "prologue" as I had intended to write...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 04:22:13 am »

Alright, I think playing with the flu is nearly as good as playing drunk anyway. Plus I hardly slept last night. Here's the next section.

Spoiler: Later That Day (click to show/hide)

Also, it occurs to me that this probably belongs in the stories forum, not the adventure mode forum. Should I move it?

EDIT: Next part of the story is ready!

Does anyone know why the whole town is hostile to me on arrival? I haven't killed anyone except that vampire and a couple of animals way out in the desert. I did drink some of that blood, but it hasn't had any effect yet. Are they really just all crazy?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:51:27 pm by Sappho »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 12:48:51 am »

Maybe the vampire was a member of their civ or something weird. Did you happen to kill any domesticated animals by accident?

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 12:58:09 am »

As luck would have it, the local "home remedy" for the flu is drinking copious amounts of slivovice
That stuff is in Dungeons of Dredmor! No way!
My wooden badge was delicious.

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 01:01:00 am »

Ho Ho! Another masterpiece by Sappho!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 01:55:32 am »

I like the sound of where this is going!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Misturr Crow

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [ONLY_WITTY_IN_HEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 02:24:31 am »

Is the town of a different civ? Theirs and the civ you come from could be warring.
This is already looking beautiful. (and legible!)
>

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 02:46:05 am »

The vampire was a goblin and was located quite a ways away, so I wouldn't have thought it was a member of a civ. I have done very little fighting in this game. My kill list is the vampire, a foul blendec, and an ostrich in the desert. Definitely no tame creatures.

I suppose the civs could be at war, but when I did a quick check of Legends before I started playing, I was impressed by how non-existent war seemed to be in recent decades. If there is a war, it's been raging for at least... 40 years?

I'll have to load up my clean copy of the world and have another look, I guess. Or I can just carry on treating them like they've gone mad in the wasteland.

Also: I still need to grab Dungeons of Dredmor. I keep meaning to buy it but then I always figure I already have too many games to play. Generally I don't have time to play at all, but with the whole "being sick" thing I have little else to do. Also, I slept for 12 hours last night and I'm still not any healthier. The slivovice didn't work (not for lack of trying, I really drank over half the bottle), so maybe tonight I'll try svařák instead. (I believe it's called mulled wine in English.) It's also supposed to be good when you're sick. The alcohol content isn't so high, but even a mild buzz on top of the flu ought to impair me reasonably well.

So my immediate plan is to scrape together some breakfast without passing out and maybe do a few other things, but I'll definitely be playing and writing today. Also, maybe I should move this to the stories forum. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 12:27:57 pm by Sappho »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 02:48:54 am »

Move it to the Stories board. Also don't die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 03:00:05 am »

OK, I swear I used to know how to move topics but I can't find it now. Is it possible? If so, how do I move it?

I think I probably won't die just yet. Just filling tissue after tissue with green nastiness and moaning a lot. Bet you wish you didn't know that! : D

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 03:00:56 am »

Should be at the bottom left corner of the topic for the OP.
Pages: [1] 2 3