Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Toady Playing  (Read 7370 times)

Kie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Toady Playing
« on: December 09, 2012, 04:42:25 am »

Hey guys. I was wondering, how good is Toady at his own game? How does he handle attacks? How is his fort layout? I am intensely curious about this matter.

Are there any videos or screenshots of him just playing a normal game, not looking for bugs or adding new features?

If there isn't any, how do you think he plays a normal game?

EDIT: I know there are screenshots on http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/screens.html, but I'm talking about a series of screenshots that is Boatmurdered-esque. It doesn't have to be as epic, but just tells me how the fort was played out.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:47:50 am by Kie »
Vae Victis

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toady Playing
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 05:54:49 am »

Toady doesn't do LPs. He's said before that he pretty much only plays it to bugtest.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 07:34:00 am »

How good is Toady at his own game?
So good the Geneva convention outlawed it

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 12:00:25 pm »

How good is Toady at his own game?
So good the Geneva convention outlawed it
Teehee.

Sigged

Kie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 12:20:20 pm »

Toady doesn't do LPs. He's said before that he pretty much only plays it to bugtest.

Oh man. Well I hope he takes break from fixing it one day to enjoy his masterpiece.
Vae Victis

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 01:07:30 pm »

I'm sorry to tell you but WE are his game, bleave it or not imbedded in ever up date are commands that program your brains to do things that when they have all been completed with make the toad the overload of the universe.

U have been warned.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 03:01:24 pm »

Toady uses the game to play us.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 03:31:47 pm »

That's why the Geneva convention banned it.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 03:39:20 pm »

We are really in a medical experiment set up by the government.
Unf.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 03:08:37 pm »

Toady made some recordings of fortress mode a very long time ago, before the first release I think. Links are here.
It isn't meant to be a Let's Play, so it's kind of open-ended, but it's still interesting to see his play style.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 04:01:51 pm »

I can understand why he doesn't really play it much other than to bugtest it.  He has to play it a lot to bugtest it, and since he knows the insides and outsides of it so much better than us he probably doesn't get the same level of enjoyment out of it.

His enjoyment is making it.  If I was programming a game, I'm sure I'd feel the same way.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 07:41:13 am »

The only video I've seen of him playing DF is that one time he drowned that donkey. Or was it a mule, I'm not sure.

I'd agree that, as a designer of a game you cannot get the same enjoyment out of it. All game rules seem so arbitrary, and all features rather dull after having developed them, I imagine.

Tarangini

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a mandarin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 08:00:17 am »

And who says the designer is the best at his game? Maybe he doesn't quite know the optimal strategies, especially since gameplay is said to be emergent..

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 12:40:02 pm »

And who says the designer is the best at his game? Maybe he doesn't quite know the optimal strategies, especially since gameplay is said to be emergent..

Yup, making it isn't the same thing as mastering it.  I had the head coder of a MUD I used to obsess over ask me one day if I was hacking, because my character could do things he couldn't figure out how to duplicate.  I said nah, man, I just play 15-20 hours a day and don't sleep.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 05:13:47 pm »

In a recent interview, Toady said he doesn't play his own game, because when playing he can't resist the temptation to tweak it, instead of enjoying a play-through (or what counts for a play-through in DF).