Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yetis: Shall we mod the savefile to make yetis trainable?

No. This game is supposed to be (mostly) vanilla.
- 1 (14.3%)
No. We need them for the militia's live training.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We could trade them for a nice profit.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We shall crush our enimies with war yetis!
- 6 (85.7%)
♪ It's a small world after all...  ♪
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36

Author Topic: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]  (Read 85148 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I might have been up next (but who knows?), but I can't take the game right now.  Somebody else take a turn.

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to try. Please add me to the overseer list, if possible.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AMBERJEWEL IS BACK IN THE GAME
AND STRONGER THAN EVER!!!!
DAMN RIGHT! Well done! Two sieges and a minotaur labyrinth!

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Well, pye has posted his save, so just grab it and go for it.
I think I might have been up next (but who knows?), but I can't take the game right now.  Somebody else take a turn.
That's handy. You can go after Njals, I guess.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, pye has posted his save, so just grab it and go for it.
Downloading the save. Should mention I'm quite a newbie, so it may be fun. :)

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1st of Granite, 99

It completely took him by surprise. Njals was putting -dog tallow roast [4]- in a food barrel when some fellow hauler said that he, Njals "Atticsinews", had been elected as fortress overseer for next year.

Not that it was a bad decision. One among the few dwarves with higher education, talented diagnostician himself, he had a reputation for his great analytical abilities and amazing memory. Nevertheless Njals felt being a stranger to Amberjewel. He arrived only half a year before, in midsummer 98, and had no time to look around since then. Despite his plain-spoken, cheerful, patient nature and readiness of speech he had no long-term acquaintances among underground dwellers (say nothing of friends!) Full of hidden mechanisms and unorthodox engineering solutions, the fortress was a big mystery as well. Its design became quite hectic as previous overseers struggled to overcome chapter of accidents which all but led to complete extinction.

"Wonder if I'll be able to pass it in a better state year hence", Njals thought, directing his steps upstairs. Main entrance security measures were to be inspected first.

Spoiler: Njals' bio (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've played an in-game month already; have spent almost a day to understand what's going on. It was fun (in common sense.) Still have a lot of questions. I've never played such a big (in terms of space) fort and some game features are completely new to me. I've never breached caverns, to be honest! Also it's impossible to understand existing minecart routes (there are no zoom to stops etc!) Like it very much though.

As I'm trying to make fine narrative and I'm not a native English speaker, writing will be a limiting factor to my progress. Please PM in case of unclear wording/grammar.
I was going to ask for a dwarfing from the next overseer. I think I'll wait.

As far as it goes, most of the fortress will run itself, and there are likely supplies to last for decades (check on booze though). Look at the (N)otes for descriptions of some important levers (main drawbridge, minecart goblin grinder). Finish up the labyrinth that pye started. The fortress could probably use some more weapon traps strewn about.

Good luck! Keep us posted! If you run into anything you don't understand, just ask.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Forts have this weird habit of being really friggin' confusing, with loads of levers in random places. It's kind of like that thing where you put earphones in your pocket and the wires try and strangle one another and get all tangled and you start overusing the word and and and and and and and and and and and.

Sorry.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, this third-person writing is quite tricky, so I'll revert to simpler descriptive first-person narrative.

I've started with issuing some simple orders to check dwarven input response time. Produce some booze, produce some biscuits, produce mayor-mandated buckler etc. Manager was too busy at first, so I've stripped him from other jobs. Then I've explored the fortress (main entrance, caverns entrances, magma etc) and reread the thread to get bits of useful info from previous overseers. I loved bp920091's part the most because he explained some fortress design. Thank you british petroleum! Should say that I take off hat to edgefigaro who was able to overcome the disaster. Also, floating stones looks terrific; may be one of the best fortress features so far.

Grazers started starving to death on a grassless pasture, generating miasma clouds. Regular refuse stockpiles are full and/or not accepting certain kinds of refuse. So I've designated to dump rotten corpses. It happened that Amberjewel had at least 3 (it's difficult to check how many exactly) dump zones: one over air-locked pit, one over magma channel and one just somewhere. Of course, dwarves put rotten corpses to the third one, spreading miasma even more. I plan to overhaul refuse management to improve happiness a little. To deal with grazers I've created a second pasture to the south of the new farm plots, it actually had a lot of fungus/moss concealed by mud. Looks like it was a tree farm once, but we have a bigger one now anyway. Also I plan to slaughter all the grazers except milk- and wool-giving.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As far as it goes, most of the fortress will run itself
I've found that the crippled legendary miner, one of the survivors from happier times, was refusing to work. IIRC the previous overseer mentioned this too. First I thought he was unable to move due to his leg loss, but that wasn't the case. He moved to his quarters and just stood there, hungry. Hungry? WTF? Food was like 15 tiles from him. I've just ignored him for a while. But then the mayor did something similar (had he tried to feed the miner?):

Eventually I investigated. The reason was that some citizens and most of children were assigned to a burrow which occasionally intersected the food stockpile, but just a little. There were no food left in the intersection, only booze, so they were doomed to wait for a lucky hauling job or starve to death.

I was horrified to read the health history of the aforementioned miner:

It looks like health care was in a very poor state. I even wasn't able to find a hospital at first, but when I finally found it... Classy: no tables, no traction benches, no soap, but shitloads of cloth and thread.

Well, ingame Njals is a doctor by profession so he definitely will fix this.

I've checked our metallurgy industry and found we had a little iron reserve but a lot of flux and quite significant amount of goblinite and coke. Producing pig iron/steel from smelter menu doesn't work though because of a bug. Designating smelting via manager solves the issue. I plan to melt all the goblinite and produce as much steel as possible, maybe forge some decent steel mail shirts/helms (we have mostly bronze armor for now).

I'd be very thankful to uber pye if he explains the vital controls necessary for trading/accepting migrants etc. I've found only a lever controlling main entrance bridge so far. Pulled it twice, launching some poor cat into the air; nevertheless a trade depot was still inaccessible from outside. We have 2 depots btw (second one is neatly airlocked but deconstructed and not connected to the outside at all). Also, how to control the western tunnel?
And how to start the notorious minecart trap?

Some random stuff occured. A peasant was taken by a mood:

Its base value is over 121 kilodwarvenbucks, making it second most valuable artifact after adamantine crossbow (756 kdb).

Somebody was concerned about minotaur growth rate? Well...

Latest weather report: the weather has cleared after a snow storm. The temperature outside is 9982 U (-10 C). The temperature inside the glacial part of fortress is 9990 U (-6 C). The temperature in dwarven quarters is 10015 U (+8 C). The temperature in magma zone is 10075 U (+42 C).

Upd: Ok, I've found a lever controlling 3-way bridge and am trading with elves now. Injured 2 dwarves in a minecart trap, which seemed to be turned on.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:49:19 pm by Njals »

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile

There should be a lever with the note death trap or somthing like it that should open it to the fort

the two levers to the east of it stop or open them to reloading
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Cool beans update. After I'd deciphered the tileset, of course.
((for the record, I have never before described something as "cool beans" and I will never do so again))

Anyway, I was wondering about our "make hell freeze over" plan. Is any progress on that being made? Do we even know what to do for it, or has the secret been lost forever, frozen in the ice?

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool beans update. After I'd deciphered the tileset, of course.
((for the record, I have never before described something as "cool beans" and I will never do so again))

Anyway, I was wondering about our "make hell freeze over" plan. Is any progress on that being made? Do we even know what to do for it, or has the secret been lost forever, frozen in the ice?
The next step in making hell freeze over is re-building a military. We will need to re-breach the caverns to continue the excavation of the main shaft, and there are forgotten beasts that roam.

Hell freeze over tasks schedule.
1) Finish main shaft below holy stones and ice tower above.
2) Connect and seal lower shaft to an adamantine spire.
3) Build appropriate bridges.
4) Build artifact 'buildings' at bottom and the top of the ice shaft.
5) Connect the first cavern layer cavern pool to the lower shaft.

#1 is the bulk of the dwarflabor in the project.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eventually I investigated. The reason was that some citizens and most of children were assigned to a burrow which occasionally intersected the food stockpile, but just a little. There were no food left in the intersection, only booze, so they were doomed to wait for a lucky hauling job or starve to death.

I've checked our metallurgy industry and found we had a little iron reserve but a lot of flux and quite significant amount of goblinite and coke. Producing pig iron/steel from smelter menu doesn't work though because of a bug. Designating smelting via manager solves the issue. I plan to melt all the goblinite and produce as much steel as possible, maybe forge some decent steel mail shirts/helms (we have mostly bronze armor for now).

Somebody was concerned about minotaur growth rate? Well...
Minotaurs can have equipment. I wonder if we could give it an bluemetal suit and have us a nigh invincible soldier.

+1 on figuring out that burrow thing. It annoyed me so much...

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After I'd deciphered the tileset, of course.
Sorry, it was a necessary evil. Being a casual newbie I've never played ASCII mode before, graphical sets only (Mayday's DFG in the times of 40d, LNP with default Ironhand now...) But the graphical sets are quite stressful for eyes so I've decided to give ASCII a chance. Still default grass tiles en masse (,.,..,,., etc) hurt my eyes so I choose CLA's set with solid tiles.

+1 on figuring out that burrow thing. It annoyed me so much...
Do you mean steel production one or slacking miner one? Both were related to burrows. I feel like half a new bugs are solely burrows-related. =)

In other news: I've happily played till the beginning of winter. Detailed report will be in a couple of days.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36