Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yetis: Shall we mod the savefile to make yetis trainable?

No. This game is supposed to be (mostly) vanilla.
- 1 (14.3%)
No. We need them for the militia's live training.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We could trade them for a nice profit.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We shall crush our enimies with war yetis!
- 6 (85.7%)
♪ It's a small world after all...  ♪
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36

Author Topic: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]  (Read 80955 times)

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

Start by atomshashing the children. Then work out how all the useful and not tantrumming dwarves (miners, skilled craftsdwarves, soldiers) into the booze stockpile. Build an alternate passage to the trade depot, wall off the unhappy dwarves, and let them fight it out amongst themselves.
Then let the survivors out into daylight. Christen them as Reborn in the fresh-fallen snow, and give them axes of pure adamantine to strike down our foes.

Ive done similar things to save my forts. In fact, the longest fort that ive ever had lived through FIVE tantrum spirals (Damn those migrants and their socializing). The Dwarves that kept surviving were in a different fort, completely walled off from the old "Cursed" fort (Within a year, every single time, there was a tantrum spiral, even if everyone was DEAD. Never figured out why)

Just a hint though, keep the children seperated when you DO start atomsmashing.  Or, just lock everyone in their room, and those who survive are now happy... just dont open the doors.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Disaster on all sides!

First, Things I don't care about:

Heathens have been confined to quarters. Their screams are echoing through the halls.

Miasma is everywere.

Our mines have been compromised.

Both our yeti whisperers have succumbed to insanity. (no pic)

Corpses litter our halls.

Corpses litter our royal chambers.

There is no end in sight to the madness. I worry our yetis may go wild and test our cages.

Many of the howls have ceased and the rooms have started to reek of decay and rot. We fear opening the doors.

However, the strangest thing is this oddity. I don't know what to make of this. I couldn't locate the dwarf? until after they were dead.

Finally, A child claimed a butcher. Looks like he is going to go insane though, cuz he just hangs out in the shop.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How many left? How long till the end of the year?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Oh Armok, things are looking grim.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As predicted, the fell child broke under mental stress.

We are down to 38 citizens.

I converted the throne rooms to areas to store bodies/rotten things. Most some dwarves are busy hauling the mess out of the halls.

I think the spiral has wound itself to a close. My last dwarf calmed down.

Maybe not.  Grr.

It is OK! The Tantrum Spirial is no longer wreaking havok upon my dwarves! We are getting some quality hauling done! A couple of dwarves are in item processing lock and that is bugging me but the end is near! Ima finish off the month and get out of this detail!

I never figured out how the minecart thing was setup, but I am hoping this lever is as effective as the note says!

More Invaders.

They Enter MinecartMadness

Some make it through to the other side. A recruit picking up equipment charges.

All dwarves are drafted.

I pull back to the inner sanctum. They may breach the outer defenses, but upon breaching the inner sanctum, they will have to get through the yeti horde.

The goblins sustain their push.

And finally, it arrives. Sorry, autosave was off.

So, a rundown for whatever poor fool wants to deal the horrors of my tenure as overlord.

You have:
30 citizens.

Wandering Stupid Dwarves outside the inner yeti sanctum (actually, the fact that the military orders changed is what alerted me to spring.)

The first offensive has been dealt with. Yes, they did make it past all of our traps.

The enemy forces are not yet broken, however.

They mostly are here on the bridge though.

These are our survivors.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My turn. So much death, so very much death.
Edit: I don't know how to screenshot so I'll just describe whats going on.

Only three days in and already we have lost 7 dwarves. ‘Feylers’ Amostostuk and the administrator died of thirst, apparently unwilling to leave the burrow.  I have released the war yetis from their pasture.

(how do I get the dwarves to leave the yeti room and go get food and water?)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 10:10:32 am by kopout »
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All the dwarves are on double orders to 1) station at the yeti room and 2) defend the yeti room burrow. Deactivating or changing the military orders will solve that. But also the yeti room burrow is active, so you need to change that in alerts.

Screenshot Mac
https://www.google.com/search?q=screenshot+mac&aq=0&oq=screenshot&aqs=chrome.2.57j5j0l2j62l2.7506&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Screenshot PC
https://www.google.com/search?q=screenshot+mac&aq=0&oq=screenshot&aqs=chrome.2.57j5j0l2j62l2.7506&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=screenshot+pc&oq=screenshot+pc&gs_l=serp.3..0l4.338807.338863.0.339097.2.2.0.0.0.0.143.248.0j2.2.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.6.psy-ab.cGHvryZx3kM&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43828540,d.aWM&fp=c88c58e01e24d8b1&biw=1600&bih=799

You have learned to dwarf fortress, you can learn to screenshot and upload pics. One is significantly more difficult than the other.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did the FPS improve from losing 80% of the fortress population?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Troll Cook, eh?  Just like in the Hobbit!  Well I've never experienced a tantrum so bad before, that was pretty gruesome.  If possible it would be cool to see some combat logs from the Yetis in a real fight, just to see how effective the decade long breeding program really was.

edit - Just been browsing the deaths of everyone... mostly dorfs were either murdered in the spiral or died from dehydration.  Except for uber_pye who was killed by Dangerblock the Recluse of Geniuses - a giant earthworm.  It was born in 94 and killed a few dogs and animals around Amberjewel, then killed uber_pye, and then some more animals.  Dangerblock was in turn killed by the dwarf Sarvesh Evengear the Tattooed Citadel of Palaces (what an awesome name!!) who, having been given an adamantine battle axe, decided to kick a lot of ass.  He also had a Forgotten Beast to his name.  Don't know about you guys, but I never even realised giant earthworms could be so dangerous.  Did this fort become Tremors?  Is Sarvesh Kevin Bacon?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:21:36 am by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

25th granite.
Most of the war yetis are dead. We are down to 17 dwarves and losing more all the time. I designated the ramps leading up to the surface to be removed but even though I made one of the survivors into a miner the ramps remain.
28th granite.
I disbanded all the squads and deleted all the burrows in an attempt to get someone anyone to take out those ramps. It’s not working and the corpses continue to pile up. We only have 16 dwarves left out of nearly 300.
2nd slate.
Success! Ingish Arbansakzul the herbalist has removed the ramps! The amount of work left to do is unfathomable, and at least one dwarf was trapped outside but we can at least begin to rebuild
6th slate.
Among the 11 remaining dwarves in the ruins of Amberjewel at least one is stricken by deep melancholy. What neither the siege nor the riots could do the survivors seem to be doing to themselves.

for once, I think we don't have enough dwarves

10th slate
Yeti training continues despite their ineffectiveness in the siege. Several are now tame outright.

Edit:
Sarvesh has been nicknamed Burt out of respect. And he is still alive! like his name sake he might be one of the few to walk out of the is horror show alive.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 02:42:18 pm by kopout »

zimer02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well
It looks like things went to hell pretty quickly (at least be thankful we didn't literally go to hell)

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hermes--
Most of the dehydration deaths were stark raving mads and melancholics running their course. The beserkers got murdered. Also, some beserkers murdered others.

Kopout--
The goblins rode giant bats. Be careful.

Also, all three caverns are breached. Watch out for FBs/underground sieges.

There is a ton of work to do. I couldn't get my dwarves to build coffins and such fast enough. Watch out for ghosts.

And, best of luck. Seriously.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:34:35 pm by edgefigaro »

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kopout--
The goblins rode giant bats. Be careful.

Also, all three caverns are breached. Watch out for FBs/underground sieges.

There is a ton of work to do. I couldn't get my dwarves to build coffins and such fast enough. Watch out for ghosts.

And, best of luck. Seriously.
Thanks, I'll need it.
I'm curently sealing off the caverns. Coffin production is slow but stedy we should be done within the next twenty years.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

26th slate
Dumat Keleshtan the Macedwarf has been found dead; apparently having succumb to injuries sustained during the siege. Only 10 dwarves remain. I have designated what will be the world’s largest trap corridor. None shall pass. (also trading will be impossible) 

3rd felsite
The first of the yetis to reach childhood

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

my fort

:(
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36