Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Total Extreme Wrestling: Wrestling Promotion Simulator. Discussion Thread on B12  (Read 24337 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Oh, well. This was fun while it lasted. Don't have the money to sink into this at this point. $35 is just too steep of a price for what is effectively a weaponized spreadsheet.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 09:21:56 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, well. This was fun while it lasted. Don't have the money to sink into this at this point. $35 is just too steep of a price for what is effectively a weaponized spreadsheet.

Could be worse. The guy made a super hero game that was... kind of... really really lacking.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe I'm being all noobish, but 2016 seems more convoluted than 2005/2010.  Granted, I think the same about Windows 10 versus Windows XP, so it could just be an age thing.

I miss being able to view my whole roster's stats and momentum on one screen, although the stats I get from the new fog of war (which is fine).

Apparently, they made it harder to run a 0/0/0/0 promotion

purchased
Heres the thing though, you have an extra 1 year grace period as a new company.  But yea, other economical factors like sponsorship and the economy of the area can make or break ya.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

A question about TEW 2005, i guess it's the same for every version anyways, when you don't leave a note to the road agent about how a match must be setup (who must be the victor, protect a worker, etc...) , how is the result determined then ?
Completely randomly or is there a specific stat that decide in case there's no overarching storyline between opponents ?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it is a range/combination of in-ring stats, the basics and raw physical stats.  The type of match, say brawl obviously means that brawl skill has a higher influence on who'll come out the winner.

I often times have left the winner to the game and you'll usually see the 'better' worker come out on top.  I tend to try to stick to 'performance = popularity' or 'performance > popularity' type promotions and that may also have some relevancy on who'll come out on top.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Thanks, i'll have to sort out my roster by skill to avoid having to always leave a note.
Though fortunately in the 1997 mod, in the WWWA company i joined there are so few guys in there that it's easy :D

Hopefully once i'll manage to get out of the nasty red in the finances with how unpopular we are currently, as it's the goal the owner setup for me (i left the ownership to the AI) i'll be able to improve my roster in number , and possibly with less old and semi retired wrestlers to have longer matches without them being too tired to draw more attention.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:17:39 pm by Robsoie »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

I think it is a range/combination of in-ring stats, the basics and raw physical stats.  The type of match, say brawl obviously means that brawl skill has a higher influence on who'll come out the winner.

I often times have left the winner to the game and you'll usually see the 'better' worker come out on top.  I tend to try to stick to 'performance = popularity' or 'performance > popularity' type promotions and that may also have some relevancy on who'll come out on top.

That may be true, but I think the game also factors in the overness of the two workers.  At least, it seems that whenever I forgot to place a note, the more popular person still won (which is usually how I book anyways).  Only really important when you either want to go against the grain (not typical) or the workers are too close to call overness-wise.

Mod I'm into: The Effganic Bundle.  Creates the promotions and wrestlers from scratch each time, something I did successfully with WMMA 4.  Always a pain to add all the free pictures (which become random wrestlers), so glad somebody else did it.

Could be worse. The guy made a super hero game that was... kind of... really really lacking.

I agree on the price.  I wish they'd just throw the series on Steam and charge $20 like everybody else, but I guess they think their business model makes them more money.  Eh, I don't think it does, but its not my company.

The Superhero game was actually pretty cool, but it really would benefit from more features.  Wish Adam would make a Comic Book Hero 2, but I'd probably have to check out the feature list before purchasing.  Adding a secret lair that was up-gradable and customizable would be the chief feature that I'd like to see.  Making the early game less grindy would also be nice.  And the ideal starting strategy of "hunt down a much more powerful hero(ine) and pail around with them" should probably be nerfed (most likely just by acknowledging that the player is actually a sidekick and not a hero).  But honestly, Adam appears to have a three year cycle where he releases either WMMA, TEW, or Wrestling Spirit, so he probably isn't interested in revisiting Comic Book Hero.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think its cause Comic Book Hero is a flop in implementation.(I bought it, it is more grindy button clicking then actual management.) Probably also sales/interest, but I don't even have the numbers to compare.

Fun fact: Road Agents are basically the people who handle the finer details of the match.  If they have a relationship with either of the fighters, positive or negative... they can make adjustments without your input.
(Read this in the built-in help section.)

Mod I'm into: The Effganic Bundle.  Creates the promotions and wrestlers from scratch each time, something I did successfully with WMMA 4.  Always a pain to add all the free pictures (which become random wrestlers), so glad somebody else did it.
I had a buncha extra free pictures from TEW2013(obviously someone else did the work) and converted that stuff over to 2016... and have now added the Effganic pictures too.  Roughly 1250 free pictures now.  (I probably can't share it cause permissions and stuff.)

I'm still heavily screwing around with settings and stuff and seeing how things work before trying for a long 0/0/0/0 game.

Another Fun Fact: The earliest age anyone can debut is 5 years old.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:19:07 pm by Zangi »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

In the TEW 1997 mod, while editing the database of the mod to give wrestlers missing their picture a new one, i noticed some of the guys i had to edit had the "Deceased".
By example Amy Dumas that would be more known as Lita several years later, she started her career in 1999 but is included in the 1997 mod for when you'll reach 1999 if you wish to still play following history.
But at "Active" she's setup as Deceased
http://i.imgur.com/eJPFwLa.jpg

I noticed while browsing around the mod worker list that those guys set up as "Deceased" are those that like Lita do will start after the year the mod is starting. By example there's John Cena too (that is starting only at 1999 too)

I am assuming the goal with Deceased is to ensure they're not drafted into one of the wrestling companies floating around the world before their time, but then there's a problem, because i can't draft them too it means if i play up to their debut year they'll still be deceased :
http://i.imgur.com/iNcTG8I.jpg

I tested with changing the Deceased into something else in the database editor, but when i load my saved game, the change does not impact and they're still dead.
To have the change taking effect i need to start a new game, and then it means the wrestler will be able to be hired before its time.

Is there a solution to this ?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you are already in the middle of a game, you'll have to edit it within the save.  (Saves draw from their own copy of the database, which you are free to edit... which basically means you have to do the work again.  [Try deleting the deceased workers then importing them while in the game?])

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It is relatively simple: Change Deceased to Active, open Skills and set some*, and there you go!

Somebody screwed up if the only goal was debut year: You can set that in the editor.

*Granted, if your assigning skills arbitrarily, it isn't exactly playing like a wrestler in a database that has otherwise been customized by a single personality.
In a different mod, here are the values:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Bodinc Women's Mod, updated to 2016)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

I see no option to setup a starting year for a worker, maybe that's not in TEW2005 but was added in later version and probably why the modder used the Deceased as a trick to workaround this lack of option ?

I wasn't aware you could edit the workers during gameplay without having to go in the database editor before loading, it's simply in the options...  it's so simple now , how could i have missed that ? :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:13:14 am by Robsoie »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry, thought you were playing TEW2016.  Guess debut year was added in one of the later versions.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They actually did release some of their stuff on Steam in 2015.  Looks like they stopped after Combic Book Hero rightfully got terrible reviews.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Grey%20Dog%20Software

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

I am going to necro this thread. So, I have the 2016 version of it, and love it to death. There are a few things about it that irk me, mostly the fairly poor slapstick comedy writing. I'm rewriting the injuries list, and some of it's making me cringe pretty hard, but it's much more realistic. (C'mon, "Temporary Soul Separation" and "Frozen Smile"? Really?) Say it with me: Ruptured Latissimus Dorsi. Makes me shudder a little just thinking about that kind of injury.

I love the fact that it's so deeply moddable!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4