Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 55240 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #720 on: December 25, 2013, 01:31:55 am »

Spoiler: 49/52 (click to show/hide)

Yep.  Definitely gonna finish.  I've got three books that I've read through halfway, so all I have to do is read another 450 pages or so and I'm done!  Yay <3

Of course, one of those is WUTHERING HEIGHTS, so it's not exactly a sure thing.  Maybe I'll leave that one for 2014 and read The Crime of Father Amaro instead?  Despite that one adding another 500 pages or something?  Because it wouldn't be WUTHERING HEIGHTS, at least.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: December 25, 2013, 05:49:45 pm »

10 more books down! Only 6 more books and 6 days to do it in to hit 100!
Spoiler: Books Finished 94/100 (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 39,900
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: December 26, 2013, 04:07:59 am »

Finished a few more in December.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Didn't make it to the 52, but at least this gave me a bit of motivation.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: December 26, 2013, 10:41:17 am »

Spoiler: 49/52 (click to show/hide)

Yep.  Definitely gonna finish.  I've got three books that I've read through halfway, so all I have to do is read another 450 pages or so and I'm done!  Yay <3

Of course, one of those is WUTHERING HEIGHTS, so it's not exactly a sure thing.  Maybe I'll leave that one for 2014 and read The Crime of Father Amaro instead?  Despite that one adding another 500 pages or something?  Because it wouldn't be WUTHERING HEIGHTS, at least.

Read a pamphlet. Pamphlets count, right?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 26, 2013, 11:35:49 am »

I think I got around 40 books done. Not sure the exact amount since I stopped counting a few months back. Definitely no less than 38 and much less than 50.

Still an alright number I suppose. Hopefully can improve on 2014.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: December 27, 2013, 05:32:14 pm »

Spoiler: 50/52 (click to show/hide)

Finished The Art of Loving.  On to the next!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #726 on: December 31, 2013, 10:13:15 am »

Book 50: Prince Caspian - C.S. Lewis

I'm going to try to marathon through the last 2 today, not sure if I'll make it or not... Been too busy to read until today.

I didn't like this book. Too much blatant propaganda. Do what religious authority figures say, even if they have absolutely no explanation why, and good things will happen. Dark-colored people are evil. If someone makes you uncomfortable, they are probably evil. Women have their place and they'd better stick to it.

And so on.

On the other hand, I think Narnia books are the only ones I could possibly squeeze 2 of into a single day, so... Looks like I'll be swallowing more of this nonsense if I want to finish!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 31, 2013, 11:01:21 am »

Guh. It... it's the last day, isn't it?

Stuff to do, then I guess I'll start counting things up. Tentative look says at least a good sixty more than whatever I managed to actually record way earlier in the thread, so it looks like I got the raw numbers down, at least...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 31, 2013, 11:03:18 am »

I read almost 40 books this year. Good enough for me.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 31, 2013, 01:33:11 pm »

Spoiler: 30/52 (click to show/hide)

Well, I'm 22 books short. Who here completed their goals?

Also, congratulations to everybody who accomplished their goals and a thanks to those who took part in this little project.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 31, 2013, 04:35:31 pm »

Argle. Started tallying. Broke six million words roughly 3/5ths through the "marked as done" list, which would put things at >8m with the initial list, and tally not even done yet. Definitely broke 52 works, definitely broke 5 million words. Goals met! I'll... edit this, I guess, when I actually finish writing out the list. Or new post. or something.

It... it's hard to remember stuff about what you read 6+ months ago, sometimes, though ;_;

E: OKAY! HERE WE GO! CHARACTER LIMIT DON'T FAIL ME NOW!

And between that, this, and probably a bunch of stuff I didn't finish or forgot to mark down, was what I read for pleasure in 2013. VICTORY GET.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:25:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 01, 2014, 02:47:45 am »

Finished with 15 minutes to spare!

Spoiler: 52/52 (click to show/hide)

I'm actually really relieved, and I think I'd like to do this in 2014, too, if I can.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 01, 2014, 03:15:43 am »

Ok so this post is technically after the new year for me, but I finished the last of these books yesterday evening, so I'm counting them anyways. :P

Total Pages: 41,666
Average pages per book: 416.66 pages!

This has been a ton of fun, and I'm definitely going to sign up for next year. :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #733 on: January 01, 2014, 04:23:44 pm »

Didn't make it. Got halfway through Eric by Terry Pratchett yesterday and didn't have time to read anything else. If I was only at home, in my own space, I would have made it easily, but sadly, not here. 50.5 books is the final count.

On the other hand, I also *wrote* a book, and I'm thinking that ought to count for quite a lot.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 02, 2014, 08:50:56 pm »

What sort? Availible where? Dammit woman, this is necessary information!

Deducing gender and (possibly) sexual orientation from a username like that is socially permissible, isn't it?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50