Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Allow unhappy dwarves to leave your fortress  (Read 11440 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Allow unhappy dwarves to leave your fortress
« on: December 10, 2012, 06:20:54 pm »

Seems like the development process is working towards world persistence.

Rather than have Urist continue to get madder and madder as their mood gets worse and worse, why not allow sufficiently upset dwarves the option of simply waking up one day and walking off the map.

After they decide to leave, they will change to a non-commandable unit like a caravan merchant, and attempt to leave your fortress in the same manner that diplomats and merchants do.

Non adult children and spouses would follow.  Adult children would stay or go based on their happiness.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Allow unhappy dwarves to leave your fortress
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 06:59:24 pm »

I remember a topic very similar to this one not long ago, ill try to find it. in the meantime, please use the search function.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:03:22 pm »

Which could raise or lower the morale of other dwarves depending on how they feel about A) the dwarf in question and B) having one less comrade to help or hurt the fortress.

And they'd probably take anything they owned plus some snacks for the journey, so a wave of migrants _leaving_ your fortress could lose you a chunk of whatever.

They could have the option of joining another fortress in the same civ, or of founding their own fortress -- but if they left to found their own fortress without authorization they would have to start a new civ with slightly less than friendly relations with yours (and by slightly less than friendly I mean they wouldn't be enemies, but they wouldn't exactly be eager to build any kind of relationship either).
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 07:14:58 pm »

I remember a topic very similar to this one not long ago, ill try to find it. in the meantime, please use the search function.

If you cannot find it even though you know it existed, how do you know I didn't already use the search function?  I don't mind people pointing me at existing threads and tsking me for missing a prior thread, but just randomly dropping into someone's thread and saying "use the search function" isn't exactly productive.

Nor would it be on topic for us to discuss this further in the thread if you do not also provide a link to the prior discussion.

If you meant this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113112.msg3811298#msg3811298

I did not participate in that thread because the original post was aiming at some sort of dwarven personality rewrite, not dwarves moving elsewhere.  Emmigration was noted in the thread, but was not the whole purpose of the thread.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:21:00 pm by Farmerbob »
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 07:30:09 pm »

my apologies, i didn't realize how hard it would be to find. no that is not the thread i was talking about though, i remember some distinct points of discussion and someone made a joke somewhat like "you have struck {spoilers}" "some dwarves have migrated due to the danger x84" "your fortress has been abandoned!"
  Thats all rather pointless though, i just re-posted to apologize because the other thread is not easily accessible, so i suppose this thread is perfectly relevant.

-edited because it posted half way through writing it somehow 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:36:09 pm by helmacon »
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 09:55:33 am »

Single-dwarf challenges would be fun.

"I'm leaving!"
"But we're the last dwarf in the world! The Mountainhome has fallen!"
"Shut up, split personality! I'm in charge here!"
"But I'm the one with the degree in Practical Mining and Geology!"
"Did I ask for Mining and Geology advice?!"
"No, but..."
"It's settled! I hate this fort!"
"But we'd starve and die because nobody even remembers dwarves."
"Everyone remembers dwarves!"
"There's been an entire generation of humans born since the Mountainhome fell. They don't remember."
"Ach! I quit!"
"Nooo!"
YOUR SETTLEMENT HAS BEEN ABANDONED
My wooden badge was delicious.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 12:35:04 pm »

Quitting isn't very dwarven.  And this would reduce the Fun.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 06:08:19 pm »

Quitting isn't very dwarven.  And this would reduce the Fun.

Nothing to say that they couldn't come back later.  If all kinds of crazy crap happens in the real world, one of the best things to do if you are near the breaking point is drop everything and get away from it all for a while.  While dwarves aren't human, allowing them to leave the fort and go elsewhere if their spouse and all of their children are murdered by Urist McCheesemaker (before the wardogs tore him apart)would seem to make at least some sense.

Then again, dwarves are just stubborn little idjits, so whose to say they would leave, even if allowed to.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 10:25:43 pm »

I've always liked the idea of Dwarves leaving your lands instead of it always being their tombs. Migration and dispersion makes the world feel much more organic and will add much more depth if we ever see a more "grand strategy-esce" gamemode. Playing an "exodus" gamemode after the fall of a fortress could also be rather interesting, Oregon Trail style. 

There should really be different personality "classes" of Dwarves. There should be a large difference between a "frontier" personality class compared to a more "townsman" personality class. This would mean that the less hardened Dwarf would consider leaving your fortress for greener pastures while the more frontier survivalist would try to stick it out and try to fix what's broken.

This would make world gen fair more interesting and could promote cultural schisms. This has happened countless amount of times in human history and is a major factor in "fantasy", see stuff like the "Drow" or "Dark Elf" subraces that are often found in fantasy (although in both human and fantasy it's often more religion based rather than environmental).

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 01:36:18 pm »

An exile command could be useful, to force specific dwarves to emigrate from your fortress for any reason.

Braingnawer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 11:54:22 pm »

Maybe make it so if you want to exile someone they either have to have once been a criminal or you have to pay them compensation with valuable goods for the inconvenience.
Relocation costs if you will. Maybe if not valuables food and enough water to leave and make the trek home.
Another possibility is that they go with the caravan?

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 12:36:28 pm »

If you sent someone in exile, his friends should get a negative thought.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 12:55:17 pm »

Maybe make it so if you want to exile someone they either have to have once been a criminal or you have to pay them compensation with valuable goods for the inconvenience.
Relocation costs if you will. Maybe if not valuables food and enough water to leave and make the trek home.

The caravan thing probably makes the most sense. Sending out a single dwarf by himself, alone, is pretty much a death sentence in a world full of raging giant badgers and zombies. And raging giant badger zombies. Sending a dwarf out with a caravan makes sense, in that the dwarf has the best chance of survival, and the dwarf can also join the caravan civilization.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 06:26:02 pm »

The caravan thing probably makes the most sense. Sending out a single dwarf by himself, alone, is pretty much a death sentence in a world full of raging giant badgers and zombies. And raging giant badger zombies. Sending a dwarf out with a caravan makes sense, in that the dwarf has the best chance of survival, and the dwarf can also join the caravan civilization.

The best thing is that this is already coded.  Watch your immigrants that are broken traders.  When the dwarven caravan arrives, if they are still alive, they will join the caravan, and leave with it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 11:29:21 pm »

If you cannot find it even though you know it existed, how do you know I didn't already use the search function?  I don't mind people pointing me at existing threads and tsking me for missing a prior thread, but just randomly dropping into someone's thread and saying "use the search function" isn't exactly productive.

Nor would it be on topic for us to discuss this further in the thread if you do not also provide a link to the prior discussion.

If you meant this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113112.msg3811298#msg3811298

I did not participate in that thread because the original post was aiming at some sort of dwarven personality rewrite, not dwarves moving elsewhere.  Emmigration was noted in the thread, but was not the whole purpose of the thread.
This HAS been discussed before. I know, I participated.
Anyways, let's use this thread since it's here.

My other typical comment: Planned.

Anyways, the biggest problems would be figuring put when to leave (I'm unhappy! I'll just wander out through these evil wilds...), and how to leave (I'll march out through the caverns!). Leaving with caravans makes sense under almost all circumstances, but safe lands or places near the Mountainhomes should also have dwarves trekking put alone.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3