Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone like Mystery Dungeon style roguelikes?  (Read 2092 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone like Mystery Dungeon style roguelikes?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 01:34:39 pm »

It's always great when a developer can take criticism constructively and I thank you for being so open to it.

I'd definitely suggest adding shadows to everything. Even if they were rather simple it'd make them merge with the background a lot better. You could add (by hand) some simple shadows to terrain I suppose as well if you got time.

I can't find the article with a demonstration (I had it a while back, I'll post again if I find it), but it showed an old PC game with (pre-rendered) shadows and the same screens without and the difference was absolutely startling. Even though it was just a slightly darkened bit to the bottom left of each object/wall, it completely transformed the graphics.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone like Mystery Dungeon style roguelikes?
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 02:35:55 pm »

Covenant is a great member of the community - I often look for his/her posts and I don't think he/she was being rude.
However, I don't think mentioning a game you're working on in a non-spammy or aggressive manner is too bad as long as it's in strict moderation, isn't bumped and isn't too 'sell sell sell'. If we enforced that rule we'd have the same problem other communities have where they say 'this isn't my game' and then proceed to spam about it and everyone gets into a 'is it/isn't it' debate. At least this way people can be honest. Contacting Toady before hand would be nice, but I imagine he's very busy and would probably not enjoy/get back to the tons of these emails he'd get a day and that'd frustrate everyone.

I think crow did it in an alright fashion - especially as RL games is what we're all about. He/She didn't push and didn't try to hard sell it. He/She's more than made up for it by being open to criticism and obviously wanting to improve the game rather than being 'BUY NOW ON DESURA FOR XX.XX!'. A few cursory posts before hand in areas they knew about would have smoothed things over, and I hope they continue to stick around and give tips on sprite art/game design.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 [2]