Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Eador: Genesis  (Read 35629 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Eador: Genesis
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2013, 09:39:44 am »

The second beta for Eador: Masters of the Broken World starts in about a week and they're opening it up to newcomers.  Instructions are here for any who may be interested.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2013, 09:48:12 am »

Ah excellent, I meant to keep an eye on that but I completely missed it. I'm going to put that in the OP.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2014, 08:43:43 pm »

I'm really fond of this game, so it's a shame that this thread's been inactive for over a year now.

Can you tell me a bit how I can find locations to recruit units? I've seen the Lair symbol on provinces several times, but never figured out how to hire units there.

This quote especially has my hopes up, as Elves can't be recruited in the demesne.
the best unit I can get is Elves
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2014, 09:13:26 pm »

Iiiiifff I remember correctly, you conquer liberate provinces until you run into the other race critters (don't attack! Talk it out.), then do stuff for them until they join up, at which point you get to recruit them. Probably need some diplomacy to make it happen. Something along those lines, anyway. Assuming my memory's not borked, it's been a bit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2014, 04:52:02 am »

One way to get non-standard units is to ally with another race, as posted above - you need to enter their province with a scout with high enough diplomacy skill (elves and dwarves have the highest requirement), choose correct dialogue options, have a proper alignment and do a quest (usually kill some specific monsters or explore some specific sites until you retrieve an item).
Elves are probably the best race to ally. Centaurs and lizardmen are also nice, with lizardmen quest being rather easy.

The other way is to find a site through exploration that allows you to recruit monsters upon entering. These include harpies' nest, fairy tree and troll cave (exact names may differ). You'll need diplomacy or gold for harpies, diplomacy/crystals for fairies and to defeat a large troll band (difficult!) for trolls.
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2014, 06:07:33 am »

So other races are: Orcs, Goblins, Centaurs, Lizardmen, Halflings, Elves, Dwarves?

Wow, so many possibilities, I need to try this out!
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2014, 09:47:38 am »

Yes, although not all of the races might be present on the particular shard. Also, while you can be allied to only one race, you can still complete the other races' quests for other rewards, provided that you accept the quests before you get allied to another race.
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2014, 12:19:20 pm »

The other way is to find a site through exploration that allows you to recruit monsters upon entering. These include harpies' nest, fairy tree and troll cave (exact names may differ). You'll need diplomacy or gold for harpies, diplomacy/crystals for fairies and to defeat a large troll band (difficult!) for trolls.
Also note that you need certain alignment. At least for the fairies, anyway. If you're not Good enough, they'll tell you somewhat politely to go away, which perfectly warrants burning down the tree and all the fairies in it.

On the other hand, fairies make good cannon fodder, so it might be worth recruiting them.

There's also certain buildings that you can build at your desmense that allow you to convert certain items into monster recruits. Slug eggs to giant slugs, dryad acorns to firewood, spider eggs to newspaper-cudgel targets, that sort of thing.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2014, 01:16:19 pm »

Got this game a couple days ago and I've been having fun. This is one of the few games that actually goes in depth with summoning and necromancy, and it's loads of fun. My primary hero is actually my level 12 commander, but a level 11 wizard with necromancy spells is right behind him. I have enough gems to raise every corpse on the map and throw out half of them when the battle is over. Great fun!

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2014, 03:18:03 pm »

So GoG has a weekend sale for another day: Link.
Eador's available for 2,50 so I picked it up. Looks delightfully HOMM-esque. Will post more once I clock a few hours with it.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2014, 10:48:16 am »

I can certainly say this game is difficult. Damn. I started to get some progress done with a scout+healer+2-swordsmen combo. So far only been playing the campaign, heartily abusing the turn rewind mechanic. I'm sure I'll get my first legit shard win any day now! I really like the little info tidbits that each unit card has. Brings a little lore and life into the game.

And of course I'm playing on expert since a little googling told me that's the most balanced difficulty setting.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2014, 11:22:34 am »

Incidentally, its sequel, which I heard is essentially the same game with better graphics, is on sale on Steam right now as Eador: Masters of the Broken World for $5.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2014, 11:36:59 am »

I've read that it's pretty borked and horrible port at the moment. But that "at the moment" was some time in the (early?) 2013 and internet is known for its bitchiness. Either way, 5$ is a bargain, thank's for telling.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2014, 01:18:30 pm »

The new one just added multiplayer in the form of the while game(?). anyway, you can have cities and such, not just battle, i think.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2014, 03:07:17 pm »

I've been trying to get into this (actually Eador: MoaBW, but there wasn't a title-specific thread and the other one [titled "Eador" only] was last bumped in 2013, so wasn't sure which one to bump) but have trouble getting started.

Even on the easiest difficulty I don't nearly enough gold to actually do anything. I'll build a couple buildings and run out, and by the time I have enough accrued to actually go and start taking provinces the local lord or rival master will mosey over and start knocking on my door. Never mind having enough gold (or contracts or access) to buy guards to keep the lord from taking over my undefended provinces, and good luck taking one back against his guards when they consist of groups three times more numerous than my hero's army and having a dozen levels over my recruits to boot (seriously, how does the computer opponent afford all this?).

With the initial gold I can either build a couple early recruitment buildings (usually spearmen and recruit them) and run out, or unlock the mill or sawmill (so that new provinces can actually provide some additional gold) and run out, or an armory to equip a scout and then run out. Only one of those things, meanwhile exploring and hoping that I can get a location with weak defenders for a little extra gold.

I'm also pretty annoyed at how combat works. On top of being chronically outnumbered, I'm frequently losing units (putting an extra strain on already limited gold income...) due to ranged attackers. My own ranged attackers usually get focused fired and dead after only a turn or two.

Given the effectiveness of the scout (especially on a hill) maybe I should go for one pikeman/swordsman and the rest bowmen (crossbowmen being too expensive given the need for iron and redwood) but it's still a problem of income.

In the campaign, other than the first tutorial map, I've only won one tiny shard and that for some freaking unknown reason because just as I was finally getting a comfortable income (having around 7 provinces, all with income buildings, plus income from iron/horses, and a good success rate with "not quite the weakest you'll ever find" defenders in locations), the local lord up and died on his own. I'd never even met or saw him or ventured outside those 7 provinces circling my stronghold.

I can see how eventually you can use energy to improve your start but in the beginning I can't do anything except increase my starting gold, which is still not enough to get the ball rolling in a start (at least not fast enough).

(PS: Karma is dumb, chiefly because it is almost entirely obscured to the player. Interface screw can be a valid gameplay mechanic, but this is not.)

All that to say, any tips?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:36:54 pm by Niveras »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10