Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Eador: Genesis  (Read 35510 times)

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
Re: Eador: Genesis
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2012, 11:25:12 am »

I've got comfortable enough with things to try a skilled campaign (once I've pulled that off it's time for an expert one, as I understand that to be the "fair you vs the AI" setting). I've been using mage/shamans as my first army backed up by a solo warrior. Just getting into my first conquest of a small shard, about half way done and I found a knowledge store that sells the 4th circle spell mass suicide.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This shard just got a whole lot easier.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2012, 11:39:40 am »

Wow something is off with this game, I get crazy amounts of lag on the title screen for some inexplicable reason. Lets see if google has a solution.

EDIT: Ahh, the game does not like 64-bit Windows 7. The solution is apparently to throttle your cpu to ~50%... Weird issue is weird.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:43:32 am by Aptus »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2012, 11:54:41 am »

Huh, I've had no such problems :\ I use the GoG version.

Vortex Rikers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2012, 01:13:42 pm »

Whoa, talk about a sleeper hit out of bloody nowhere; This game is AMAZING. It's everything I ever wanted a HOMM game to be and more, cranked up to 11. The difficulty is also borderline unbearably brutal at even medium levels.

Regarding the performance issues, yeah, they're pretty bad, especially on Win 7 64bit, which I'm currently running. There are several solutions, one is to decrease cpu usage as the previous commenter said. Another, is to free up resources by turning off even the most miniscule of programs; steam, internet browser and (maybe, depends on your system) even the firewall.
Both of these solutions worked for me, but miraculously enough the game ran absolutely fine two days in a row without jumping through any aforementioned hoops.

As for the wizard, the only way I found him to be useful as a starter hero, is to spend energy at the start of an invasion to boost your crystal income, otherwise it's hopeless, you'll run out of them much too soon. And even then, he is a glorified scout with equal damage output, but less troops and less hitpoints; everyone always beelines to slay him every single time. Until you get those high level spells that is, and that's 1.) rare as hell to find, 2.) you'll probably get something useful by the middle-end of the game, and by that point you would have been much better off starting out with say, a warrior instead.

Last but by far not least, it all depends on the difficulty. Your tactics, availability of resources and overall strategy will widely differ between say, competent and expert. What may be hilariously efficient on one difficulty level will get you killed on another, the beat and rhythm of the game is widely different and always requires massive readjustments in how you play, so I'd start the game already on a difficult but fair level, which is expert, as it gives no bonuses or penalties to the ai or you, and learn from there.

Again I repeat, I don't think even Heroes of Might and Magic has grasped my attention this much back in the day, this game is glorious, and what's even more difficult to comprehend is it's all the work of just one imaginative russky.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2012, 02:09:51 pm »

The thing I find is that guards do not stop the enemy. They arn't really there to stop the enemy unless it is really early in the game and you somehow both forced yourselves in eachothers dirrection.

Timing is everything. Early on, even the flimsiest militia can win the war. Playing the tiny and small shards on competent so far, I usually know which direction to push in order to meet the enemies. I managed to charge toward a "skilled" enemy by turn 18 and surround him with cheap militiamen. The aggression of the enemy seems tied to his men and resources, and he had only his own stronghold income, so he was pretty much imprisoned. I went back to my stronghold and leisurely re-armed for the final battle.

Taking unnecessary provinces is nice for point totals, but clearing a few dungeons is a better short term pay-off than province taxes, then you can equip an invasion force and rapidly meet the enemy in his home turf.

Hey don't get me wrong, I may have not been clear but the ability to stop the enemy from taking territory after territory non-stop is in fact a great ability. It is why I skip Militia and go straight to the upgraded guards. Sure they cost more but even a decently leveled CPU will have trouble getting through.

As for the wizard, the only way I found him to be useful as a starter hero, is to spend energy at the start of an invasion to boost your crystal income, otherwise it's hopeless, you'll run out of them much too soon

If you got a good Gem income and you arn't ignoring it, they will seemingly never run out (especially in Swamp maps). As well you can even switch to his gemless spells if you want.

As well you can luck into some pretty powerful spells early on.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:13:40 pm by Neonivek »

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2012, 08:24:57 am »

I'm loving this game too :)

Been using mainly Swordsmen/healers combo with a Scout/archer hero taking care of ranged opponents.
Swordsmen on the defensive usually take about 1 hp from attacks while retaliating for 6 or so, which is a pretty good deal, especially if you have a healer behind to tend their wounds.

However, on my 4th shard, I've encountered inquisitors very early in the game, and they've starting annexing my land, which is proving to be a real pain, as their "commander" is pretty much unstoppable for now.

As an aside, I've seen noone giving praises of the web spell, which i've found pretty usefull to both neutralize far away units for a while, or just stone warriors so you can pound of them with no retaliation !

Lastly, how are you warrior/scout users dealing with item wear ? I'm now carrying 2 or spare arrows and 1 spare bow in backpack as they break pretty quick !

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2012, 09:12:35 am »

Spare arrows, yeah. Generally I just keep an eye out for location shops so I can repair in the field. Later on (still not there, m'self) you unlock warehouses or somethin' you can build in provinces that gives you access to your treasury, and you can repair through those.

I generally prefer pikemen to swordsmen myself, if only because they deal with chaff enemies (goblins, skeletons, etc.) without taking any damage (usually). The fact that they're guaranteed to do at least some damage (or take a swing, if nothing else) even against stuff that one shots them (which swordsmen don't get to do) also tilts my favor toward them a bit. They're still plenty tough, too.

As for web, I've been sorta' interested in it, but noticed the "only for stuff with a resistance <=3" caveat which is... bad. A lot of the stuff I'd really like to be webbing has a resistance higher than three :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2012, 08:56:41 pm »

Pikemen are great if you are doing a ranged game. Pikemen are better then swordsmen at defending and that is why I tend to get enough of them to defend my whole squad.

As for webbing you should know that the Wizard can lower enemy resistance ratings.

My second hero is always a scout. Extra exploration can be vital especially later on when you need all that extra growth and locations.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2012, 09:16:23 pm »

I always grab scout first fav hero right now I'm vs my buddy I'm up to tier 3 units and got a good supply of money do to be able to exchange gems for money and since I don't use spells much
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2012, 12:29:57 am »

Anyone know what affects your astral alignment?  Or any idea what it does?  It seems that the elves now refuse to negotiate with me.

I thought I was being a pretty decent guy in the shards, but I'm straight up "Evil" in astral.  Is it because I use shamans (unscrupulous) all the time?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2012, 01:12:48 am »

Anyone know what affects your astral alignment?  Or any idea what it does?  It seems that the elves now refuse to negotiate with me.

I thought I was being a pretty decent guy in the shards, but I'm straight up "Evil" in astral.  Is it because I use shamans (unscrupulous) all the time?

Well Shamans are evil... but when random events occur what do you do with them?

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2012, 01:14:39 am »

Well Shamans are evil... but when random events occur what do you do with them?

I try to help out the peasants most of the time, and I rarely pick a super evil option. I'm even contributing 3/energy per turn in astral for the health of one of the shards!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2012, 01:34:10 am »

I can only guess it is because you are doing a lot of vicious things somehow and possibly having evil people does this as well.

But peasants isn't the only way you can do the "evil" action. For example selling slaves.

But the game is so vague on this concept. Apperantly "Karma" means that if you do a lot of good things that good events that benefit you will happen more often.

It actually makes being "evil" in this game quite strategic. As it is always about balancing things as everything evil has a hefty cost associated with it.

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2012, 01:43:09 am »

I think I figured it out.  For Eador: Masters of the Broken World (an updated version of Eador: Genesis) one of the designers said in an interview that summoning demons and animating undead was bad for your karma.  Well, I do that nearly ever battle, so that plus the shamans explains my evil alignment.  I thought it would be mitigated by how nice I was to the peasants, but I guess not.

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2012, 02:13:01 am »

On a different topic, I've discovered that competent difficulty has no hero "battle advice" giving your odds of victory before the battle.  This can be changed by going into the file difficulty.var in the folder "var" and changing hero advice from "0" to "1".  Here is the list of differences between difficulty levels, for those curious:

Difficulty Levels Spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:15:02 am by enigma74 »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10