Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Eador: Genesis  (Read 35550 times)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eador: Genesis
« on: December 10, 2012, 09:51:31 pm »

So it was translated and put up on GoG! I saw it on the website and immediately grabbed it. I don't know how long it has been translated, but I'm glad I didn't miss out on this; the game is truly fantastic. I hear they're working on a sequel, Masters of the Broken World. But don't be fooled, nothing beats the classic look of the Genesis units and avatars. Hell.. almost everything about this game just feels perfect.

I'm not great at actually describing games, but here's the Good Old Games link if you want to check it out for yourself. Think Heroes of Might and Magic but with much less fluff to sift through to learn the ropes. It's easy to pick up and has immensely addictive game play.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/eador_genesis

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't say that I'm great at the game yet, but if you need any tips just ask away. Or if you have any tips of your own, please share! I'm trying to improve.

Eador: Masters of the Broken World - Beta (2nd stage) signup instructions, link provided by lordcooper (thanks!)
http://snowbirdgames.com/?p=700&lang=en
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:50:57 am by debvon »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Eador: Genesis
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:55:50 pm »

I must admit, it does look more than moderately snazztastic. I'm very much tempted to part with the coffee-change it'd take to make this mine. Only, maybe when I have more time.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 11:19:42 pm »

Where do all these amazing turn based strategies I've never heard of even come from?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 11:38:44 pm »

Where do all these amazing turn based strategies I've never heard of even come from?
To a large degree... Europe. This thing, Dom3... others I'm forgetting.

And then, like, Japan. They've still got a metric asston of excellent turn based stuff that's never been translated.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 12:00:03 am »

Huh, neat. Not that I need any more games right now.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 12:06:04 am »

The game is a bit INCREDIBLY difficult even on the easiest setting.

It also features a lot of thing that you will never get to enjoy. You never get enough time to really develop your towns because the enemy will be knocking on your door almost immediately.

Also a thing to remember is that town guards are not meant to stop the enemy, they are there to stop the enemy from rolling through.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 12:10:55 am »

When it comes to turn-based strategy I pretty much suck a laden swallow attached to an expensive coffee maker filled with battery acid. I needed to invent something new to describe how much I suck at turn-based strategy. It looks good and sounds fun but I think I'm going to have to pass.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:51:09 am »

It also features a lot of thing that you will never get to enjoy. You never get enough time to really develop your towns because the enemy will be knocking on your door almost immediately.

As you progress through the game the maps become larger and more spread out. Most of my games now involve me fully developing a semi-large kingdom (before meeting enemies, usually), establishing borders using outposts, and then pillaging everything outside of my walls/defending. The more I unlock from conquering, the more interesting these wars get! And the rare equipment is definitely coming into play now.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 04:40:19 pm »

Another game in which Losing Is Fun.  Utterly unforgiving.   Reminds me of Wesnoth more than a bit.  Totally recommend but have no useful tips, I'm currently getting spanked on beginner mode.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 04:57:48 pm »

Eador: Genesis reminds me alot of how games used to be, especially in the turn-based strategy genre.  Games like Master of Magic and others are comparable.  Complex, deadly unforgiving, requiring strategy as well as a little underheaded trickery; and the utter enjoyment of knowing that Losing can sometimes be the best outcome of all.

That being said, Eador is bloody hard, the AI is topnotch, the game design is fantastic, although it doesn't include an english translated manual.  The tutorial levels of the campiagn are pretty cool, though, and bring you through the action as well as teaching you the finer points of the game.

I am looking forward to MotBW though; as well as a large mod for Genesis that's already been requesting help for translators, which will be cool.  It supposedly adds a literal ton of stuff to the game.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 05:00:59 pm »

am...I the only one that is finding it to be not so bad and almost wanting to increase the difficulty? I guess most people who are having problems aren't trying to expand, I usualy set the goal of trying to take over 1 territory every other turn, play to the strengths of your main hero and other heros are for exploration progress, 3rd map in and i'm now steamrolling(caught the enemy with only 8 territories to my 25), maybe i'm minmaxing a little too well..
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 08:14:52 pm »

Another game in which Losing Is Fun.  Utterly unforgiving.   Reminds me of Wesnoth more than a bit.  Totally recommend but have no useful tips, I'm currently getting spanked on beginner mode.

Honestly I find Wesnoth to be easier, after I learned how the game is played I stopped losing.

I guess most people who are having problems aren't trying to expand

The territories tend to kick my butt.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 08:24:52 pm »

Honestly I find Wesnoth to be easier, after I learned how the game is played I stopped losing.

I guess most people who are having problems aren't trying to expand

The territories tend to kick my butt.
same
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 08:32:25 pm »

Remember that the further out you go from your starting province the tougher the neutrals will be. This applies to enemy lords as well, so there's sort of a barrier that forms between you two in terms of difficulty. I find that rushing a couple of "guards" for my hero (not militia or slingers, I find them mostly useless) and then capturing/developing the ring around my castle gets me off to the best start. Then exploring my lands gets me strong enough to go for the next ring.

The strongest start I've ever had was by rushing swordsmen/crossbows and using a warrior hero. Make sure you build a shop and equip your hero well if you're planning on putting him in danger, having to resurrect him really puts you behind and the defense/hp will keep you alive.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 09:52:40 pm »

I wish I could figure out which units/biuldings provide either positive or negative moral to tier 1 and 2 units; along with how to maximize population happiness.   I wanted to make a full necromancer, only to find that my people did not like the necromancer spell building and started revolting. It was more annoying dealing with the people i controlled than the enemy that came storming in after them.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10