Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Eador: Genesis  (Read 35555 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Eador: Genesis
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 10:25:29 am »

Well...the game has proven me to be wrong and the non-beginner difficulties are hard. Now as for the differences in heros, from what I can tell in the early game(less then 20 turns) the commander is the most difficult, followed by the wizard, scout then warrior(scale also in difficulty in getting past level 5). So far it looks like the wizard and the scout are rather even in terms of power. As for the campaign...I guess its suppose to be a learning curve...but I dont understand the whole astral energy thing as the amount you as the player receive is no where near enough to tip the balance in your favor.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 01:25:24 pm »

Is there some kind of guide anywhere on all the heroes's focus classes? Like white knight, berserker, etc for warrior and so on?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 01:56:02 pm »

As far as I can tell, both wizards and commanders get quite a bit stronger as you unlock higher teir units and spells, while scout and warriors equipment don't improve quite as much (although they probably end about equal).

That said, I think that wizard is easier then warrior, because even T1 summons are pretty powerful (eg. imps can usually run behind enemy lines and kill archers in the same turn they are summoned, and probably live on to kill another unit in the next few turns, skeletons and zombies are pretty strong as well), they don't really scale super well, but I imagine that access to T2 summons/necromancy would be quite a big help.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2012, 02:46:02 pm »

Mind you Wizards arn't bad as soon as you get rank 1 abilities.

Magic Arrow on a ranking up mage destroy entire units in a single hit and any summon supported is also likely to get a kill (one of my prefered strategies is to kill a ranged unit, then get a skeleton up there to finish the rest off)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2012, 03:41:34 pm »

Yeah... if you can get access to the higher level summons, things get fun. One of my wizards lucked out and found a raise ghost scroll (Third circle necromancy) and from then on out could kill pretty much everything it ran into. Expensive spell (30 crystal, 5 stam), but the ghost itself was basically unkillable (iirc, it had 20/40/6 defensive stats, and restored 7 hp every time it killed something. Base 18 or so HP, too, and targeted resistance instead of defense in melee) and fast (3 AP, flying). It'd solo... lots. Trolls, knights, whatever. Just murdered 'em, and then flapped on to murder everything else. Which would promptly be raised as zombies or skeletons to help join in on the fun. Sadly, going necromancer doesn't actually knock up the level of what you can subdue after battle and take with you (So with just level 3 necromancy, a necromancer can't keep ghosts), or that match would have been ridiculous. Definitely staying pure mage next time, get that necromancy level up.

I had a good run with a warrior last night, though. Crossed over with mage at 10 for the 3 hp/kill heal, packed its army with pikemen and let th'bugger go to town. Had enough defense to basically solo most provinces on its own, the other meatshields were just cake. Really, all the heroes are just... nice. They're really nice. Can't wait 'till I manage to actually get one to twenty and see what happens then :D

Regarding magic, I found it pretty useful to stuff a commander full of fatigue spells. Target their ranged dudes (who usually have low resistance), and you can shut one or two of them down for a few turns, long enough to get something close enough to kill 'em. Quite useful, and no crystal cost.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2012, 04:13:39 pm »

Anyone winning with just one hero?  Is there a limit on how many you can have at one time?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:22:40 pm by melkorp »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2012, 04:33:53 pm »

I've taken a few of the early campaign ones solo, yeah, or functionally so (usually pick up a scout to do exploration stuff while my main dude rampages around the enemy's territory.).

Near as I can tell, there's no hard limit, but the more you have the higher the cost of getting new ones... and by higher, I mean it goes from hundreds of gold to tens of thousands of gold -- iirc, getting a second mage, ferex, as your third hero would cost you something like 15k gold and 5k crystal. Can't remember what the fourth one costs, but the third is either 1k or 1.5k gold (first is 100, second 500). There's some buildings that reduce the cost, but... yeah. By the time you're even getting a third one, you've probably already won the match, and if you manage to get a fifth (without repeating a class, so having one of each and then getting your first repeat), you've probably intentionally drawn out the game for... several hundred or a few thousand turns :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2012, 04:40:30 pm »

Anyone winning with just one hero?  Is there a limit on how many you can have at one time?

Generally speaking the second hero is there to deal with the things your first hero cannot (Namely to search the provinces to encourage trade)

You will pretty much be killing your opponent with your first hero.

I got REALLY unlucky with my last map and had almost no gold for the entire time because it was a low income world. Two things saved me
1) I had an alliance with the Lizardmen... I killed 6 slugs and that meant every turn I could capture a Lizardmen town.
-Uhh do the hero who made the alliance have to capture them? or can anyone?
2) I just ignored the enemy heros and captured their castle: Honestly a lot of maps boil down to this. You cannot stop enemy heros reliably.

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2012, 07:39:13 pm »

Woah, thanks for the tip OP! I would never have heard of this game otherwise. 

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2012, 11:08:13 pm »

I just ignored the enemy heros and captured their castle: Honestly a lot of maps boil down to this. You cannot stop enemy heros reliably.

Eureka.  I can't believe I didn't think of that: just find the local lord stronghold and take it early.  Awesome thnx!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2012, 12:59:20 pm »

I've been playing a lot with this. I haven't had time to formulate anything useful, but here's a few things:

Militiaman: Useless. Only good thing, besides price, is 2 Speed. Still utterly useless.
Slinger: Also useless. Only good to building the Slinger building is access to a building that slightly increases your stronghold's defense towers, and that only applies if the enemy assaults before completly destroying your fortifications via siege.
Spearman: Semi-useful range attack, but only one shot for it. Still pretty weak, only good because of cost.
Bowman: Has range and speed, but lacks in damage and defense.
Crossbowman: Less range and speed, but packs a bigger punch.
Pikeman: First Strike is good, but Pikemen aren't the only ones to get it(they start with it, though). More melee effectiveness than Spearmen. Increase Counterattack stat and take advantage of First Strike.
Swordsmen: Good attack/defense, and gains skills for both.

These are the only Rank 1 ones I've used. I've tended to avoid using the evil ones(barbarians, etc.), as they tend to be weaker in a direct fight.

For heroes, the scout hero can snipe individuals, but so can the mage. I've also had the mage wipe out a good-sized army with a Circle 4 spell from the Elemental group.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2012, 01:33:51 pm »

Actually Slingers have ONE use

In Low Income Maps, they are a way to have high income without suffering too much. (Halflings though are far supperior to Slingers in everyway but they are a special unit)

I done a map where I used archers and money became a serious issue.

Militiaman though... Yeah they are terrible.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2012, 01:52:59 pm »

Militiamen do have one potentially good use which their description hints at -- especially on a low crystal map. 10 gold may be less valuable than the 4 crystal it'd take to magic arrow something to death, or the two-three turns or whatev' it'd take to magic spark a corpse into existence. Hurl a militiaman at something and you've probably pretty promptly got a corpse you can turn into something undead :P They also approach decent en-masse thrown against a single target to drain its stamina while something ranged plinks away. I've held off some warriors and suchlike doing that.

Militiamen also have something interesting. If you can manage to get a few levels into them (good luck, but I've had it happen) they can upgrade into spearmen. I was a lil'surprised when that happened.

I actually just had some pretty good luck with a barbarian/shaman party lead by a scout -- I was using necromancy pretty heavily on my main hero, but didn't have the crystal income for much of the fight to keep re-raising zombies and didn't want the moral penalty on my sword/pikemen, so I went neutral/unscrupulous to fill in gaps in his battleline. Barbs are actually pretty tanky and hit decently hard, plus have that little ranged attack -- they're about in the same position as zombies, really, just faster and much harder to get high leveled ones (Mage with 5 necro and 3 summon was spitting out 13th level zombies, iirc, which are basically doombeasts.). Shaman are... surprisingly useful, especially one or two supporting some ranged power (e.g. a scout). The free curses are quite nice for breaking down something's armor a bit or cutting into something's offense, and the magic ranged attacks are non-trivial in a lot of situations. I'll likely start throwing in one or two for any future commander led bowmen parties I make. All in all, they're very mobile and easy to move around, which can be tactically more useful than the pike/sword/crossbowmen, sometimes.

I wouldn't touch the brigands or the thieves with a ten foot pole, though. Thief poison might be useful, sometimes, but the fact that they reduce province income is just... no.

Ah, and Re: Scout vs. mage sniping... from what I've seen, scouts can snipe way, way better, at least earlier on. Find an alright bow and go heavy into the ranged stuff, and 20-30+ damage per arrow before mid-teens seems pretty standard, which... magi have a bit more trouble pulling off, at least for me, so far. Mages are more useful in general, though, by a long shot. Just expensive to make use of, heh.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:56:11 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2012, 03:26:49 pm »

I hate centaurs so much. "I can probably win this fight without casualties!"  NOPE. That is all.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2012, 03:28:59 pm »

I hate centaurs so much. "I can probably win this fight without casualties!"  NOPE. That is all.

Yeah later on you just have to know how good your army is yourself because your hero is a stupid stupid head.

I've had "hopeless battles" effortlessly won and I've had "The enemy is doomed!" kill me before.

The statement is like other games in being based on side for side attributes.

There is just such a huge difference between level 1s and 2s. The weakest level 2s are more then a match for level 1s.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:35:44 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10