Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Eador: Genesis  (Read 35519 times)

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eador: Genesis
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2012, 03:44:10 am »

So on higher levels your heros/units lvl faster? I thought they were quite slow.
Early on I use commander hero and rush chainmail shop (he is like muhaha for tier 1s) and can get bigger armies earlier. Healing spell is the only one I use. Tried scout hero but he is incappable in bigger/harder battles (works great as long as you kill enemies before they get to your puny army this hero can support).
As for units archers+pikemen are pretty good, but i tend to lose a lot of higher tier archers if enemy has fast/ranged units (no one wants to target pikemens).
And militia - how do these guys have so many high level units? Like foresters which due to description should be weak defenses but increase income, can massacre almost every tier1 army (except heavy armored heros, swordsmen armies, archer armies with range bonus). I didn't play long but i didn't manage to get any of my archer units to high enough level for double shot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2012, 03:51:25 am »

I think I figured it out.  For Eador: Masters of the Broken World (an updated version of Eador: Genesis) one of the designers said in an interview that summoning demons and animating undead was bad for your karma.  Well, I do that nearly ever battle, so that plus the shamans explains my evil alignment.  I thought it would be mitigated by how nice I was to the peasants, but I guess not.

Wait that is out? Is it in english?

As for how nice you are to peasants... I can to a certain extent, but when you summon each battle it kinda doesn't.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2012, 04:00:20 am »

Why would anyone want to buy the same game just with better graphics and added a few annoyances like 1 counterattack per turn (there is stamina which balance multiple counters great).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2012, 04:02:57 am »

Why would anyone want to buy the same game just with better graphics and added a few annoyances like 1 counterattack per turn (there is stamina which balance multiple counters great).

Honestly if that is all it adds I wouldn't buy it. I seen the graphics and honestly I think the 2d version has its own charms.

The game already has some issues with balance as it is.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2012, 08:48:10 am »

The game already has some issues with balance as it is.

Discuss!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2012, 01:15:48 pm »

Welp, I find commanders/strategists/generals/whatever-their-name-is are insanely powerful. I'm trying warrior & commander, and the commander's plethora of troops makes it much stronger than the warrior, which is essentially one slightly stronger troop. Wish you could get several of the same type ;)

Artifacts laden 30 level warrior solo pretty much any army
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2012, 04:27:41 pm »

Artifacts laden 30 level warrior solo pretty much any army

So basically you're saying that a warrior at maxed-out level with great equipment actually lives up to that standard?

Whoda thunk it.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2012, 04:43:01 pm »

O'course, a spell and artifact laden 30th level wizard or commander can probably destroy armies on the first turn of battle :P

Even a maxed out warrior benefits from support, though~ Sending any hero out alone is more an act of desperation than anything, imo. You get a lot more done, faster, with minions at your side. And in the case of warriors, with considerably less upkeep due to kit damage :-\

Am suddenly wondering if item damage reduction stacks additively, though. I know you can get a good 80% just with the stuff I've seen (Warrior with maxed... blacksmithing, innit? Then two blacksmith bracers and a set of dwarven gloves.). If it's additive, then you might be able to make a warrior with junk that just doesn't break. Be a bit weaker than something going balls-out with power boosting equipment, but a helluva lot cheaper to keep rampaging.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2012, 12:05:37 pm »

Any militia with high numbers and bowmen is always a pain to deal with.  On competent difficulty, the computer spams the 11-strong brigand guard, which is painfully hard to deal with until late game.  Meanwhile, on your first shard, you're stuck with recruits which are only 8-strong and the AI pretty much tears through them like paper.

Here's my strategy on competent:
I buy a wizard, and purchase an altar to get shamans.  A wizard is weaker than an scout early on, but a wizard's power grows much faster.  Back the wizard up with 3 shamans, and never stop adding shamans.  Gems can be a problem on some maps, but I scrounge them through evil choices in random events (like selling corpses to necromancers).  Find and exploit mandrake root ASAP to reduce the cost of shamans, or you'll quickly be paying triple price per unit.

Almost all tier 1 creatures have little or no magic resistance, so shamans+wizard will cut through them like butter, allowing you to clear dungeons quickly.  Avoid gargoyles, medusas, and any other high MR creatures.  Necromancers have high MR, but rotating in a single bowman in your party will let you almost one-shot them.  The idea here is to be able to clear dungeons with no losses, because you really can't afford losses until you have mandrake root.

Battle tips on shamans:
Shamans are range 4 units that are basically glass cannons.  With enough shamans, you will melt pretty much everything, even Tier-2 units!  However, if anything gets in range of you almost instantly die.  Careful use of hill terrain (+1 range) and putting forests and swamps between you and the enemy to slow them is necessary.  A flat plain with no water or mountain chokepoints is your worst battlefield.

Shamans can even cast a hero spell called curse, which reduces attack, defense, and resistance values.  On any creature with a MR of 2 or greater you may want a shaman to curse.  In fact, because curse has unlimited range, it's an excellent opener when you start the battle out of firing range.

Shamans's other weakness, besides frailty, is that they only have 4 ammo and it cannot be recharged.  Using the curse spell "counts" as a use of 1 ammo.  In a battle longer than 6 turns you are dead if you have underestimated the total enemy HP because all your shamans will suddenly lose their range firing ability.  When upgrading shamans prioritize hex special>damage>extra ammo>anything.

The whole point of using shamans is to quickly level your wizard.  The best skills to choose are necromancy and summoning.  If you get both up to rank 3, your zombies will be extremely tanky, having 30+HP!  You have to kill a living unit to make it leave a corpse for reanimation, so keep two magic arrows in your spellbook.  Imps will do in pinch, but zombies are great damage sponges and skeletons are good archer hunters.

By the time your wizard hits about level 12, if you've got both summoning and necromancy you can quickly defeat all enemy garrisons and siege the enemy stronghold.  I've won a few "I'm no coward, but I'd rather retreat" battles because the adviser doesn't take into account your summoning potential.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:34:54 pm by enigma74 »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2012, 05:34:55 pm »

so yea...ran into an issue of cant complete an astral quest because i need to go to the land of the dead but cant "in game" find out how to do so because i already wiped out both the necromancer and the lich...
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2012, 01:58:14 am »

The main problem I have with playing necromancer/demonology wizards is that higher tier necro spells, while powerful, are so costly.. I constantly have to mind my gems. Sometimes I'll get lucky and find a lot of swampland, but generally that's not the case, so getting a mage as my first hero is a gamble sort of. I know that I can just use regular zombies, but it's so tempting to use ghouls, they're amazing.

Anyway, I also love playing "enchanters". Mage over level 10 with the commander path. Load him up with healing and buffs, and it makes for a really fun time. Maybe not the strongest, but it's great trying to figure out where to place units, who to buff, using terrain, etc to crush difficult enemies.

I would play a lot more necromancers, but yeah.. I run out of gems in practically all parts of the game because I cast too many high tier spells. Oh well.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2012, 02:18:01 am »

Mm... one of the other discussions I found on th'net recommended boosting your starting gem income with astral, if you're going mage. Other than that and prioritizing gem producing provinces for exploration/growth boosting, there's not much you can do, yeah. I guess later you get access to markets or somethin' and might be able to do some gold->gem conversion, but I haven't hit that point yet. S'also the occasional building you can pick up from exploring locations you can stick in various provinces... no clue yet if you get something you can just build, ala a library or whatev'.

But yeah, the higher tier undead are kinda' amazing. Like I'd mentioned, had one of my dudes lucked on to a raise ghost spell (and a thousand curses for the necromancer (mage->scout) class not working as the text implies), which was pretty darn expensive but the buggers could solo entire armies of first or second rank creatures.

I occasionally pull out cheat engine and just give myself infinite gems and go wild >_>
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2012, 01:28:35 pm »

so yea...ran into an issue of cant complete an astral quest because i need to go to the land of the dead but cant "in game" find out how to do so because i already wiped out both the necromancer and the lich...
You can create a deadland with the Undead Uprising ritual, although I'm not sure if it will work for that purpose.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2012, 04:29:00 pm »

You can create a deadland with the Undead Uprising ritual, although I'm not sure if it will work for that purpose.
the astral quest tells you to ask a necromancer about how to go there, i guess i'll just try to find an alter of the dead and see if i realy broke the quest because i got rid of those two...
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2012, 07:10:37 pm »

This is a pretty great game.  I find commander to be the best because the computer never builds a god mode commander, although it will build god mode warriors that can overpower your own warrior, causing many tears.  Safest outpost:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10