Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gauntlets via Reactions  (Read 3597 times)

Gauntlets via Reactions
« on: December 13, 2012, 05:24:15 pm »

So I found the hard way that crafted GLOVES through reactions in Adventure mode do not create functional wearables as they do not get the correct
/
tags.

I am wondering, however, if I was to create two entirely new items, Gauntlet LEFT and Gauntlet RIGHT, if I would be able to create them with reactions. My logic is that, if the items are ALWAYS generated with the tag because it's not an "optional" thing, then two reactions to create the items should make wearable gloves.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Gauntlets via Reactions
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 06:40:19 pm »

Nope. LEFT and RIGHT aren't even tags.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 08:54:50 pm »

dookie :(
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 01:07:06 am »

Could I do something that just turns my dude's hands into the material of the gauntlet I wish I make? That would probably give the same effect (armor), but maybe not to the same degree. Or it could be better. I don't know.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 01:12:51 am »

No. Materials can only be really affected by imparting the ability to impart syndromes on them, as of now.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 02:56:44 pm »

Could I do something that just turns my dude's hands into the material of the gauntlet I wish I make? That would probably give the same effect (armor), but maybe not to the same degree. Or it could be better. I don't know.

This could be achieved, kind of. You could make an adventurer reaction to take, say, bronze bars, and make a 'boulder' which instantly boils and transforms your dwarf (or human, or elf) into another super-rare caste of dwarf. This caste, through very careful and planned use of body parts and such, could have an extra layer over their hands and forearms, made of bronze (or not actually bronze, just relatively close organic materials, such as in the bronze colossus). You could even make sure it wouldn't bleed or heal or cause pain unless it got to the skin underneath.

Bonus points if you actually manage to do it and have it work.

More bonus points if you make it so that it keeps your gender fine and you can 'upgrade' them, and put each material into a single reaction/boulder (just involves careful use of a bunch of syndromes with specific creatures affected, i.e. one syndrome attached to the boulder affects 'female dwarves,' 'iron-gloved female dwarves,' 'copper-gloved female dwarves,' etc. and turns each into a 'steel-gloved female dwarf,' repeat for every creature affected and male/female)
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 03:50:19 pm »

While said method would work, I'm not sure how many people would want to make several hundred different entries just to be able to do this. Even with a lot of automation it would take a long time. And don't forget that you would also need to come up with a method to remove the old transformation in order to apply a new one.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 03:56:44 pm »

While said method would work, I'm not sure how many people would want to make several hundred different entries just to be able to do this. Even with a lot of automation it would take a long time. And don't forget that you would also need to come up with a method to remove the old transformation in order to apply a new one.

See: Your Sig.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 04:08:50 pm »

See: Your Sig.
Guess you've got a good point there. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 05:05:34 pm »

Also, this problem was brought to my attention a short time ago, and your problem led me to find a method to make gauntlets with custom reactions, and I found one.

It may or may not work on an existing save, I don't know. The first thing I did was to make a new body for the dwarves, simply named BODY_SAMEHANDS. I then went to the lines for the hands, and simply removed the LEFT and RIGHT tags from them.
Changed the dwarf body to this one with no l/r tags on hands, set up a custom reaction to make gauntlets, and lo and behold, they will equip them! Had to make more reactions for making normal gauntlets in fortress mode and got rid of the entity's gauntlets, gloves, and mittens, because your dwarves won't wear left/right gauntlets/mittens/gloves. Dwarven caravans won't bring them anymore, but they aren't required to avoid bad thoughts anyway, and this way we have a work-around to mass-produce gauntlets.

If you don't want to fuss around with this stuff that much, I'll be uploading it with the next version of my mod later today or tomorrow, depending on how long it takes me to fix the errorlog and add last-minute projects.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 05:25:03 pm by Delioth »
Help us write a story!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 05:37:38 pm »

Just to point out...

You referred to using "not actually bronze, just relatively close organic materials, such as in the bronze colossus". Bronze colossi just have tissues made of INORGANIC:BRONZE.

Thank you for your time.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 05:50:59 pm »

Also, this problem was brought to my attention a short time ago, and your problem led me to find a method to make gauntlets with custom reactions, and I found one.

It may or may not work on an existing save, I don't know. The first thing I did was to make a new body for the dwarves, simply named BODY_SAMEHANDS. I then went to the lines for the hands, and simply removed the LEFT and RIGHT tags from them.
Changed the dwarf body to this one with no l/r tags on hands, set up a custom reaction to make gauntlets, and lo and behold, they will equip them! Had to make more reactions for making normal gauntlets in fortress mode and got rid of the entity's gauntlets, gloves, and mittens, because your dwarves won't wear left/right gauntlets/mittens/gloves. Dwarven caravans won't bring them anymore, but they aren't required to avoid bad thoughts anyway, and this way we have a work-around to mass-produce gauntlets.

If you don't want to fuss around with this stuff that much, I'll be uploading it with the next version of my mod later today or tomorrow, depending on how long it takes me to fix the errorlog and add last-minute projects.

Hope this helps.

That is... not bad. Not bad at all. Do they equip them automatically ? They should be listed under foreign in the military menu... and where did you put the custom reactions ? Clothier, Leatherworker and Forge can not be meddled with.

Edit: Forgot the "not" meddled with. ^^
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:09:14 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 06:04:01 pm »

That is... not bad. Not bad at all. Do they equip them automatically ? They should be listed under foreign in the military menu... and where did you put the custom reactions ? Clothier, Leatherworker and Forge can be meddled with.

Unsure of autoequip, unsure of the foreign (I tested by making a squad and telling someone to take these two specific gauntlets)

Also, the custom reactions are only done for the metal gauntlets, they are in two separate workshops because I already had them for my mod (die casters and a gauntlet workshop to articulate the cast gauntlets). I just added reactions to make gauntlets in the gauntlet workshop. I should probably get reactions for cheaper things going too before release...
Help us write a story!