Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Biohacking+quantum mechanics=what? Or am i just being silly?  (Read 2656 times)

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
Biohacking+quantum mechanics=what? Or am i just being silly?
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:18:10 pm »

I just had an idea:

Brain is a learning machine.It takes neural input,and tries to make use of it.
This is how more advanced prosthetics work.

Now,what will happen if it is wired to something people still cannot understand,as in quantum entanglement?
Will it give one the ability to alter their enviroment at will,or something else?

EDIT:i tried asking it on yahoo answers,and i completely regret it.People kept wawing around some guys crackpot theories,not real answers.

Also apparently there are people who think that magic actually exists.These are not the people i want to ask this question from.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:08:12 am by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Biohacking+quantum mechanics=MAGIC? Or am i just being silly?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 01:22:54 pm »

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to ask here.. seeing that quantum entanglement is a physical phenomenon which you can't wire directly to an object.

If you're trying to ask whether you could manifest quantum entangled particles in the brain, I'd say it's possible, but tricky, and I'll have to get back to you on that in the morning.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Biohacking+quantum mechanics=MAGIC? Or am i just being silly?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 01:30:07 pm »

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to ask here.. seeing that quantum entanglement is a physical phenomenon which you can't wire directly to an object.

If you're trying to ask whether you could manifest quantum entangled particles in the brain, I'd say it's possible, but tricky, and I'll have to get back to you on that in the morning.
Question was,if you could entangle particles at will,given the required prosthetics,and what abilities it would give to one.
There are people (biohackers) who have operated permanent magnets against their nerves,and their brain responded by using them as a sensor for magnetic fields(or was it electric fields?),as an extension to their body.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:46:39 pm by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Biohacking+quantum mechanics=what? Or am i just being silly?
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 01:54:32 pm »

I can use quantum magic to generate infinite power hah.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 02:06:10 pm »

NO!
BAD DOG!
SIT DOWN!
I am a Goober.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:19:48 pm »

NO!
BAD DOG!
SIT DOWN!

where exactly are you going with this

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 02:29:53 pm »

*Miauw harnesses the Magon.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 02:32:44 am »

Hmmmmm. I'm very tempted to say that you could create a mind reader, if you entangled nerves and somehow duplicated memories and feelings from there.

But maybe that's just me rereading Peter Hamilton's sci-fi series too often.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 04:22:27 am »

Short answer: No. This would not give you any sort of special powers.

Long answer: A device that produces quantum entanglement is a device that produces pairs of tiny particles that have opposite spin values. The ability to do this is interesting from a physics experiment point of view, but supremely lacking in practical applications. There's no known way to do mind-reading, free energy, FTL communications or any of the things you're likely thinking about using quantum anythings. It would be pretty much like having a remote control for a particle accelerator or a fume hood or some other piece of heavy and expensive lab equipment wired to your brain.

Hmmmmm. I'm very tempted to say that you could create a mind reader, if you entangled nerves and somehow duplicated memories and feelings from there.
A] Creating quantum entanglement requires that the two particles interact. This interaction requires the particles to be very close together. In order to "read" someone's mind with it, you would have to rub all of the particles in the brain of the person to be read up against an equal number of identical particles somewhere in the brain of the reader. Which is obviously all sorts of fatal for both parties.
B] Even if you did somehow get all of the particles in a person's brain quantumnly entangled with all of the particles in someone else's brain, the quantum state of the brain does not determine thoughts: It's the chemical and electrical level interaction that makes your brain think. Quantum entanglement has nothing to do with it.
C] Assuming you did get the a portion of one person's brain to physically match the corresponding portion of the other person's brain in all important respects, that would be as useful in terms of learning their thoughts as cutting out a chunk of the "mindreader's" brain and inserting a chunk of the person-to-be-read's brain. Which is to say: Not very helpful.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 05:58:10 am »

Thank you.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 09:07:57 am »

Thank you indeed.
Now that we have this silly thing out of the way.i can lock tis thread.
I am a Goober.