Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Roguelike Conquest/Civ game - Factions arise  (Read 10262 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
Re: Roguelike Conquest/Civ game - Factions arise
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2013, 09:19:53 pm »

There are a lot of nifty articles about influence maps that could be of use, I just don't have the links available to me at the moment >.> heh. Most of them are applied primarily to RTS AI design, but the graph implementation itself can be applied to just about any tactical need. Graphs are nifty :P Influence maps, in RTS games, can be used to determine where strategic points of interest (chokepoints, safe resources, etc) are located so they can be defended, as well as prioritizing the building of defenses or forces in areas of contention (influence boundaries).
One fun graph to build is a danger heatmap built by aggregating the locations where entities have died (recently [t-n to t] or aggregated from start to current in a game [0 to t]).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:23:14 pm by GalenEvil »
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2013, 01:21:46 am »

Huh, that could be interesting. I'll have to look at those when I get to the AI section.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2013, 09:05:46 am »

The danger heatmap sounds fun for AIs for monsters. o_O I guess if it's a continuous map, the 'scent' could degrade over time.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2013, 10:42:11 am »

Been working on this. All just back-end class stuff right now, so nothing new to really show off. But I'm hoping to have some of the UI actually up and working soon.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2013, 01:00:01 pm »

Still working on back-end stuff. Had to do a bit of refactoring to get things to work properly. But progress is progress, and eventually I'll have something worthwhile to show you guys.
Come play Mafia with us!

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2013, 06:18:21 pm »

Still working on back-end stuff. Had to do a bit of refactoring to get things to work properly. But progress is progress, and eventually I'll have something worthwhile to show you guys.

Glad to hear it :) I worry when these threads go quiet! There's several awesome projects going on at the moment :D
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2013, 05:49:45 pm »

Haven't gotten a chance to do too much more programming on this, although I did get past a fairly major roadblock last week. I'm hoping I'll get to do some solid coding tonight, but we'll see how it goes.

In any case, I added in a new section to the Notes dealing with some ideas I have to allow the player to make Plans with the AIs. Needs more design, and it's a long way off code-wise, but it's an idea that I think has huge potential for making the game interesting.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2013, 09:01:24 pm »

A real update for once! Finally got some decent time to code and finished a bunch of the background work and refactoring I was doing.

I now have a basic UI layout done. Tons more to do, but now at least the work I'm doing has a visible effect.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My plan is to put your Faction overview information up at the top. The Right section will have most of the details of whatever you're doing (Army info, Tile info, City info, whatever). The Left side will be used for things like Faction lists, Cities you own, Armies you own, stuff like that. Mostly lists that the Right side will then give detailed info on.

Suggestions are, of course, welcome.
Come play Mafia with us!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2013, 09:23:52 am »

I don't know if you'd agree, but I find that having menus not be on all sides looks better. It feels a bit ... constrained, and maybe stuffy.
 In my (kinda lost in development) game thingy, I have menus on two sides only, and a thin bar on the bottom:

Maybe you could consolidate the left and right tests, or at least have them side by side, and put the map in the corner...? Or make some of the menus "slide out".

*throws my 200 won and runs away*

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2013, 10:45:33 am »

Yeah, I considered that. Only issue is that the map just isn't that big right now, and it's the main thing you'll be interacting with so I don't want to shove it down and out of the way.

I may implement some sort of map zoom at some point, but that's a bit in the future.
Come play Mafia with us!

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2013, 07:41:32 am »

I have to say I also feel weird about the map being squashed in the middle, I'd prefer it being aligned to the left side. a small info bar on the left might not be so bad however!

But, good progress on the ui!
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2013, 12:01:57 am »

After far too long, some progress is made!

I can now move the cursor around and look at squares. Which is handy. And hopefully I can really get back into programming this.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2013, 11:15:26 pm »

Ok, forcing myself to get back to this project.

I need to get this to the point where it's a game. Not necessarily a good game yet, but a game.

What do I need to do next to get something that is basically playable?

Well...Factions need to be able to build units first of all. Then, they need to be able to order them around. Obviously they need to actually be able to fight at that point. Once that is in place I can allow locations to be conquered.

That, along with a basic AI that sends out armies to the closest enemy/neutral city, is enough to have something to play.

So...immediate goal: Get factions to be able to build units.
Come play Mafia with us!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2013, 11:43:24 pm »

Huh, still alive here. Anyway yes, something playable is a must if you want to be able to continue. Even if it sucks once the game is playable you will probably work it along enough to make it decent. Its like with letters, you can write one and not send it but once you put a stamp on the envelope very few people don't end up sending it off.
   As for your goal of getting them to build units. if you can get them all to make a single type of unit then you can get them to make any unit so don't fall into the trap of trying to design a few units for them. Make a basic soldier unit and get them to produce them then thats enough. Once you get them to fight you will naturally end up making more unit types because you won't be able to help yourself. Sorry if you already where planning this or don't want the advice but I think this could be interesting so I figured I would invest my 2 cents worth of advice.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2013, 03:13:19 am »

yaaaaay not dead ^_^ Looking forward to testing this once it's playable :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7