Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tiny Loader a Large Oddity ***EDIT*** (Tiny loader explained) (Speed limit)  (Read 3192 times)

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile

The Problem

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tiny Loader Explained

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

UPDATE:

So I built a full scale gun that rises through four zs.  Has 56 acceleration ramps, I think, So it accelerates a cart to the max speed. I've verified some of my wild assertions and am trying to pull my foot out of my mouth on others.

Doing the double shift.  That is up a z and over, does in fact retain velocity and shift direction during the move.  Here is why I think this:

When I drop a mining cart onto a NE track ramp and into the the Tiny Loader from one z level up, the cart loads.  When I run it through my big gun, the cart loads on the first trip and then the system runs dry.  The cart has built up max speed during it's first trip through the machine, using the double shift trick on the corners.  And the payload cart breaks the speed limit through the Tiny Loader and just gets a water coating on each successive trip.  Disappointing.  Now I have to rethink things at a pretty fundamental level. 

<sigh>

I need a way the speed limit the circuit during the recovery phase. 

Too bad I can't fill the recovery chute with packing peanuts.  It works for zero-g experiments. I saw it on "How the Universe Works"  How come I watch that show all the time and still don't know how anything works? Maybe I should stop watching T.V. and read science fiction. I bet that'll work. Or I could just switch to the Sci-Fi channel.  That seems more efficient.)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:51:46 pm by flameaway »
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: Tiny Loader a Large Oddity
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:07:27 am »

(You haven't actually linked the first one.)

It may be important that in your first two trials the dwarf vacates the tile the minecart has to reach, but in the third trial he doesn't (or doesn't appear to anyway). A slow moving cart will in theory bump against a creature and stop dead.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 09:15:43 am »

In the successful experiments when cart moves out of water we can see 5/7 water at the tile, in failed one a pair of 6/7's is formed exactly at the moment of cart ascension. Maybe it's lower initial speed didn't allow it to get as high on the ramp as in previous testing, and it didn't get as much energy when going down. Have you changed carts?
Dwarves are definitely different. It has been stated before that dwarven attributes don't have any measurable impact on the cart impulse, but maybe you've found a way to measure it.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 09:58:29 am »

...It has been stated before that dwarven attributes don't have any measurable impact on the cart impulse, but maybe you've found a way to measure it.

The "push" impulse on a cart gives the cart a defined velocity of 19990 in the internal numbers. It's the exact same regardless of the dwarf.

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 11:11:16 am »

***Moved to original post for clarity
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:54:00 am by flameaway »
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
Re: Tiny Loader a Large Oddity ***EDIT*** (Tiny loader explained)
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 12:15:32 pm »

@RhesusMacabre

"(You haven't actually linked the first one)"

Thanks.

I've included the first movie.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:45:43 pm by flameaway »