Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: super gems  (Read 5068 times)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: super gems
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 08:43:21 pm »

Bah, this is Dwarf Fortress.  You don't get safe magma just because you want it and ask nicely.  You take precautions, or you get burned.  I don't see why a magical fire source should be any more merciful.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 11:46:14 am »

Bah, this is Dwarf Fortress.  You don't get safe magma just because you want it and ask nicely.  You take precautions, or you get burned.  I don't see why a magical fire source should be any more merciful.

Agreed. I think having magic that is rather uncontrollable would be very !!FUN!!, and also would be more, well, I am loath to use the word "realistic" in the context of magic, but it would be more "realistic". In fantasy, you always have wizards who have suposedly studied for many years to harness the "wild and dangerous magic" but often, the magic doesn't really seem very wild or dangerous. It's just wands, staffs, glowey dust and "arbitrary magic". Now, I'm not against wands, staffs and glowey dust; I just prefer magic when it has some context or reason for existing. Perhaps the gods endow certain objects with magical powers, or maybe magical objects are all powered by gems found deep in the earth. There are tons of option for sources of migicalness.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 05:26:42 pm »

If it didn't, it wouldn't be magic.
Magic at least needs to follow its own rules, and ideally not have arbitrary rules. "Magic items must protect you from their downsides" would be a terrible rule, as it's arbitrary and almost impossible to enforce.

I don't mind calling stuff about magic "realistic," as long as the quotes are there. Magic is a law or force of nature, it should act like one.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 05:55:16 pm »

That is only one version of magic, "magic A is magic A". There can be others.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 10:24:11 pm »

In my (not-so-)humble opinion, MAiMA magic is the only kind that SHOULD exist. Even if the only rule is "Magic never acts predictably," that rule should be followed consistently every time magic comes up. No exceptions. Writers don't change how gravity works during the climax just to suit the plot better, do they? Why should magic be different? Why would you do that? Just write the magic to fit the plot and stick with it! Anything else is poor planning and/or bad writing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 10:27:08 pm »

because magic is nothing but a plot point while gravity is a physical property of the universe we live in?

There are ways to use unpredictable magic badly, but there are good ways as well. And there are ways to make breaking every rule work well, as well.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 10:29:28 pm »

because magic is nothing but a plot point while gravity is a physical property of the universe we live in?
Magic is a part of the world in that world as much as transistors or bears are in ours.

There are ways to use unpredictable magic badly, but there are good ways as well. And there are ways to make breaking every rule work well, as well.
Again, IMnsHO, you should stick to the rules you write out. Write unpredictability into the rules if you must, but don't then make it predictable.
Sig

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 10:44:23 pm »

This is the thread to debate magic philosophy and use contrived TVtropes acronyms, right??

why acronyms why  :'(
My wooden badge was delicious.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 11:00:11 pm »

Acronyms used in full a post or two previously.

Sorry. Ir happens. We're Bay12. Good luck getting us to stay on topic for more than a page.

Hey, look! A butterfly! Let's talk about that!
Sig

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 11:19:20 pm »

Monarchs are my favorite.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 01:13:34 am »

Writers don't change how gravity works during the climax just to suit the plot better, do they? Why should magic be different? Why would you do that? Just write the magic to fit the plot and stick with it! Anything else is poor planning and/or bad writing.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Falling and forgetting to hit the ground, don't you dare think about gravity!
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 11:57:41 pm »

I think that this would be the game to have rules for magic. What doesn't this game have rules for?

I've never been a huge fan of butterflies, sorry. But they are awesome, quite tenacious, for the thing that comes from a caterpillar...
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Urist da dwarfy dwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 06:08:51 am »

Good idea, I think it would be good if DF had a gem slotting mechanic, where you could create gems with certain properties (very hard and expensive to make)which could be added to weapons and armour to add an effect e.g. fire damage on a weapon or more armour strength on a shield.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 10:02:26 am »

Good idea, I think it would be good if DF had a gem slotting mechanic, where you could create gems with certain properties (very hard and expensive to make)which could be added to weapons and armour to add an effect e.g. fire damage on a weapon or more armour strength on a shield.

Too gamey.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 05:54:20 pm »

Writers don't change how gravity works during the climax just to suit the plot better, do they? Why should magic be different? Why would you do that? Just write the magic to fit the plot and stick with it! Anything else is poor planning and/or bad writing.
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Falling and forgetting to hit the ground, don't you dare think about gravity!
Yes, because that bit was meant to be taken seriously. And because it isn't an isolated example. And because HGttG doesn't play fast and loose with all laws of physics.

Too gamey.
Especially as DF doesn't have "damage" or "armor strength" per se.
Encrusting items with magical gems to enchant them makes sense, though.
Sig
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4