Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: super gems  (Read 5073 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: super gems
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2012, 03:44:17 am »

Add the gem to a shield and you suddenly got a forcefield :P

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 11:31:37 am »

Maybe adding an "enchanted" gem could give it a chance to use it's magic, decided by the skill of the cut? A better cut gives you a better chance to have the ability happen. Don't kniw how well it cooperates with the system though...
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 02:58:31 pm »

Having the ability to create protective items works a little better for me.  Having a fire rod, and then the only guy who can safely use it is the guy decked out in magic fire damping gear, that makes more sense than free immunity.  Like using only magma-safe stone for any magma handling materials you don't want bursting into flame.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 04:44:35 pm »

Hey guys, I just thought I would res this thread since toady was talking about artifact transformations recently. I figured that the forum population has changed enough that we might get some new thoughts on this too.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 04:52:29 pm »

Hey guys, I just thought I would res this thread since toady was talking about artifact transformations recently. I figured that the forum population has changed enough that we might get some new thoughts on this too.
My thoughts: dfhack. The suggestion can be added by any moderately experienced modder.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 05:38:14 pm »

...well, yes. I have in fact modded versions of this before, but the point of the suggestion forum is that it is something you feel would be appropriate for the vanilla game. I really was looking for thoughts about the suggestion itself and ways it could be improved since a new version of the game has been posted since this was last up. I also wanted to give this more publicity since recent development in the dev logs  make this much more likely to be implemented along with what toady is doing now.
So reactions now have the ability to transfer artifact status, and there's a new historical event for artifact transformation.
I would assume these gems would be natural artifacts.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2015, 07:24:05 pm »

useless Perfect gem can now be used in another artifact, ShitFest The Perfect Clear diamond is slotted in to BattleFailed a "Candy" & platinom sword. do the math...
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2015, 02:51:34 pm »

Chaos Emeralds? Dust Crystals? Skill Gems?

Shoot me before I make this any worse.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2015, 03:31:12 pm »

magic fire damping gear

What we need are alchemists that need adamantine to properly process materials and twist their properties. For example, using adamantine to make magma-resistant basalt gowns.

It's stupid, I know, but sounds like a fun prospect when DF is in its later stages of development.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2015, 03:32:27 pm »

Cado's Magical Journey when?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2015, 11:45:31 pm »

Storm caves, a square cut shaped gem, fixed to the powers of death.
It is black and glistening and is said to emit poisoning vapors. 
perfect for a crown for my nobles!

DeathTBO

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2015, 02:29:19 pm »

I think this would be a great idea. It could also add some serious benefits to Adventure mode too.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2015, 07:25:25 pm »

Based on the preliminary feedback I decided to go ahead and add this suggestion to the DF Eternal Suggestion voting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Airgeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2015, 09:10:16 pm »

While I know that df and Tolkien's world's aren't necessarily the same, I'm really surprised that no one has yet referenced the Arkenstone from Tolkien mythology in this thread.  While it's never really explained what it is or what it does, it had value to the dwarves. It could easily work its way into religious scenarios and or wars to possess the stone, or to rescue it from a dragon.  And there were several instances of alternate jewels or artifacts in the literature, such as the silmaril, the rings obviously, necklaces, etc. Some of these obviously had power, but was largely uncontrollable by any mortal - supposedly the wizards might be able to wield them,  but they were basically gods given human form. I love the idea of super jewels by the way. 

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2015, 12:41:43 pm »

I don't like the idea of an artifact rough gem that gets cut by a dabbler into something underpowered.  If the raw material itself is an artifact then no one is going to touch it with crafting tools.  ("Here, let me take that Blood of San Gennaro and see if I can dye this cloak with it.")

On the other hand, replacing the "perfect" gem with something semi-magical is a very good idea.  I've been of the opinion for a while that damned near everything in the game should have Sphere associations... and in line with this suggestion each Sphere can have some procedurally generated powers associated with it.  Any artifact then gets a power or two derived from the Spheres associated with the item shape and item material.

Obviously, the gemstone item would be associated with Jewels and Wealth, possibly Minerals.  A material like ruby might be associated with Fire, while the various diamond materials are associated with Volcanoes (which is misspelled "volcanos" in the game's internals).  This extends to other types of artifacts as well, ranging from cat bone shortswords to granite anvils.

The game needs a little intelligence to assign powers usable with an artifact's form (a flood gate could "radiate cold" or "attract fish", but making it "increase the healing rate of the wearer" is silly), and remember that they don't all need to be fantastically overpowered.  Gemstones would be the most versatile artifacts because they can be mounted onto another item, and there is no guarantee that both powers would be usable at the same time (a gem-studded table might be able to use one and a gem-studded sword able to use the other).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4