Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: super gems  (Read 5072 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: super gems
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2015, 02:34:52 pm »

I don't like the idea of an artifact rough gem that gets cut by a dabbler into something underpowered.  If the raw material itself is an artifact then no one is going to touch it with crafting tools.
Quote from: devlog
So reactions now have the ability to transfer artifact status, and there's a new historical event for artifact transformation.
Your concerns have been anticipated.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: super gems
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2015, 10:04:23 am »

I don't like the idea of an artifact rough gem that gets cut by a dabbler into something underpowered.  If the raw material itself is an artifact then no one is going to touch it with crafting tools.
Quote from: devlog
So reactions now have the ability to transfer artifact status, and there's a new historical event for artifact transformation.
Your concerns have been anticipated.
I was responding to some of the earlier ideas that the power of the gem (or the probability of getting any power at all) depend on the skill of the gemcutter.  If these gems are going to be really really scarce then the player shouldn't be given an opportunity to mess them up.

Sure, the player can uselessly mount a healing gem on an arrow, but that's reversible.  Letting a dabbler turn the Arkenstone into Arkenpebbles seems wrong from a UX standpoint.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]