Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33

Author Topic: [DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.6.1  (Read 102507 times)

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.6.1
« Reply #420 on: September 28, 2014, 12:57:12 am »

That's great. Go ahead and feel free to change it and put it up on pastebin or something. I'm still waiting on Toady or DFHack to produce a fix to the immobile creature not attacking bug before releasing for the new version, and I'm also thinking of merging the crafting and the weapons forges/lathes. It would also probably make sense to have bladed weapons exclusive to the forges (since I don't know how much sense it makes to mill a sword as opposed to just, y'know, forging it. I think even nowadays the places that churn out cheap wallhangers in China forge them.), so those can probably be skipped though I don't know if the sheer number of possible options will break the workshops.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 28, 2014, 02:58:40 am »

Here it is; I also fixed the b->w->D redundancy and gave shortcuts to the house-specific workshops.

As for the smithies- the crafting ones are pretty crowded already, navigationwise. I don't think merging them with the others will make things easier, bladed weapons or not.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 28, 2014, 03:05:27 am »

The reaction names could just be renamed to forging instead of milling couldn't they?

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 28, 2014, 03:11:00 am »

Well, the bladed weapons can be changed irrespectively of any changes to the workshops, so I'll probably do that up anyway. Because after all, the most important thing in a setting with space demons where spacefaring nations fight their wars by landing people on planets so they can have swordfights is realism.

Also, thank you, Liber.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 28, 2014, 04:00:36 am »

Well, the bladed weapons can be changed irrespectively of any changes to the workshops, so I'll probably do that up anyway. Because after all, the most important thing in a setting with space demons where spacefaring nations fight their wars by landing people on planets so they can have swordfights is realism.

I laughed far harder at this than I should have.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #425 on: September 28, 2014, 05:58:33 am »

Like this guy?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 12, 2014, 09:05:20 pm »

Hey, just wanted to check in and say that there's some things I've run into.

1. Hydrogen production seems to be a bit difficult to manage, especially at high population. The fact you need to use purified water seems a little... Well, counter-productive. Maybe having an option to have filling stations fill barrels/drums with an inedible dirty water liquid would work better, so that the hordes of useless juves aren't sucking down your ammo ingredients.

2. On ammo, the wording is a little confusing with Devilstongue on the OP. I was under the impression binding agent needed the refined jelly, not the plant itself. Clarification would probably be helpful. I was sitting here banging my head on my desk trying to figure out why I couldn't make binding agent when I had the stuff to make it, or so I thought.

3. Unless it's been fixed already, there's a typo in the Heavy Stubber bolt making reaction. While the reaction works fine, it says "forge heavy stubber receiver" instead in the workshop.

Kbarbarossa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 12, 2014, 09:42:14 pm »

From a realism standpoint, you can in fact "mill" swords. With a hand grinder or a belt grinder and enough time, you can turn nearly any piece of steel into a blade. While not quite milling, it is machining and how the vast majority of cheap decorative swords are made, albeit on a larger and slightly more sophisticated level. Whether or not you could hit someone with it, without it breaking, is another matter entirely. Basically, Forging=real sword. "Milling"=piece of metal that looks like a sword.

From a non-realism gameplay standpoint standpoint, I would vote for keeping the weapon forges and crafting lathes separate for organization and to prevent somefrom having to scroll through 100s of options in a single workshop. But don't let me stand in the way your mass-produced, laughably inadequate blades if that's what you want lest I be accused of heresy!

Perhaps that's how all the Guardsman bayonets are made. Hmmmmm.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 12, 2014, 10:11:37 pm »

Bayonets certainly suck ass against pit slaves I can tell you that much. Hell, anything that isn't a gun firing bullets or a sledgehammer seems to be laughably useless so far (I haven't gotten the real good stuff though.) Powerfists tho man. Powerfists, fuckin' love those things.

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 13, 2014, 02:32:14 am »

Thanks for the reports, I'll get on rectifying all that.

I've actually tweaked the values on a lot of weapons in order to make them more effective against a variety of threats, particularly bladed weapons and chain weapons, since blunt weapons are currently second only to guns in this mod and everything else is a bit limp. My only problem right now is that I've gone and ported the mod to 40.13 before I noticed that the new version broke [IMMOBILE] creatures, and while I like some of the changes, such as pulping and expanded adventure mode stuff, I would like to keep the emplaced guns, so I'm not sure whether I want to port the new version back to 34.11. I'll put it up to a poll.

EDIT: turns out that either I can't convert the OP to a poll or I'm an idiot. Just share your thoughts here.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:33:55 am by Suds Zimmerman »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 13, 2014, 03:06:53 am »

Well, a band-aid until it's fixed is to put the gunners in places they can't escape by climbing or otherwise: A roofed over pillbox with a locked door would do the job.

And thank god for beefing up the melee weapons. The guns have performed supremely well and while fiddling in Angel Abbey, which I may restart, I found bayonets painfully useless against pit slaves and axes barely fared any better. Powerfists though, god damn man. No need to fix perfection there. I got a guy running around with two of those things (bagged two Orrus Spirers, though the first one injured someone and the second killed two people and injured two others before being punched to death with the power fist from the first one.)

I'm all in favor of porting to the newest version. Hell, you could even take advantage of the new trees to make scrap piles scattered around, which can be used to make valuable beds or broken down like junk piles for similar goodies. It'd certainly make woodcutters and carpenters slightly more useful beyond getting that single brick of fuel to jump-start smelting and give you a trade-off type deal: Make scrap-frame beds for everyone or pick through it properly to see if there's any useful stuff. For balancing's sack it'd probably mostly just get you scavanged blocks to build crap with.

Hell it could even be useful to have scrap piles have rusty scrap "fruits," for when fruit harvesting is implemented as another source of rust for reactions needing it, allowing you to spare metals you may need elsewhere, like that giant ferrum dong you want to build out front. For example: Hivers gather rust piles > Rust piles are ground up at a quern or millstone > rust in bag for rust requiring reactions!

Additionally I propose "wrought ferrum" as a go-between ferrum and steel primarily for flux poor maps and for early on, so if you lack the means to get steel in meaningful quantities or need guns in a hurry, you can makes guns/their parts out of the more plentiful ferrum at a cost of fuel.

EDIT: Revisting the mod after a few months makes me wish I had the attention span to make something like 40k-themed " Imperial Colony" mod with the Tau and Dark Eldar (snatching little fuckheads,) as the main bad guys.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 13, 2014, 04:42:05 am »

While emplaced guns are pretty awesome, I don't use them in every fortress. I would prefer a 40.x version without them over a 34.11 version with them. Would be less work for you too, at this point!

Jdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 13, 2014, 12:37:44 pm »

I too have found that making hydrogen is a bit of a ballache in terms of folk wandering up and having away with the water mid-reaction (although that's partly just because, hey, DF); and to divert from another similar point, the maps as-is basically require that you prospect with DFhack beforehand. I'd say about 60% of my embarks have had to be abandoned because there's literally no ferrum-bearing material anywhere on the map. So maybe (independent of the suggested wrought-ferrum changes) either make ferric scrap more common or add some other ore type that gives you iron (admittedly having three types of iron ore might be a bit samey, but then the last time I checked vanilla had at least two)?

There's also a typo/misdescription in one of the item raws; I can't for the life of me remember what it is, but I'll go check. From what I recall, there's some tool that should be listed as a TOOL_TRADE (or whatever it is) but isn't - it's not a big problem cause I'm pretty sure all the reactions refer to it, it's just inconsistent with the rest of its group and thus causes a lot of "bwuh?" if you start messing around with raws.

Re: weapons, I've found that spears seem to be total bollocks, while knuckle dusters are maybe a bit OP - the dorfs with most kills are without exception wearing one or two sets of knucks (sometimes on the same hand, intriguingly) - but in the knuckle dusters case that might be because I'm using them with my homebrew and thus possibly already imba Squats. On the other hand, my Orlock save has a guy who straight-up bit a ripperjack's throat out, so perhaps it's just standard "when the militia gets good they get game-breakingly good" dorfiness. Personally I love the emplaced guns with a faintly wrong passion and amn't all that likely to switch over to 40 for a while, but as someone said, whatever's less work for you.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:40:11 pm by Jdorf »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 13, 2014, 12:51:56 pm »

Vanilla has Hematite, Limonite, and Magnetite as far as iron goes, so a additional ore wouldn't really be all that strange.

I haven't made use of knuckle dusters myself, mainly because wrestling trains so agonizingly slowly in .34.11. And they usually are kinda lacking when mods include striker or wrestling skill weapons.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33