Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33

Author Topic: [DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.6.1  (Read 102456 times)

Jdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.6.1
« Reply #435 on: October 13, 2014, 07:34:46 pm »

Vanilla has Hematite, Limonite, and Magnetite as far as iron goes, so a additional ore wouldn't really be all that strange.

I haven't made use of knuckle dusters myself, mainly because wrestling trains so agonizingly slowly in .34.11.

Yeah, I thought there might be another one but it's been ages since I played vanilla. That's weird with the knuckle dusters, I've been finding they level pretty fast and get you striking rather than wrestling. Might just be my tinkering in that case (although I'm pretty sure I haven't touched them specifically), but I'm still finding it funnier than might be appropriate when my dorfs charge across the map, batting bullets out the air, and punch someone's brain out the back of their skull.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 13, 2014, 07:57:05 pm »

Striker is probably the skill trained, but wrestling which generally goes with it is abysmally slow to level, making for bizarre situations like legendary head punchers still  bitching about patrol duty.

Jdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 14, 2014, 01:04:39 pm »

Ah, I get you. Never knew the skill level was connected with the amount of moaning about patrol duty, and they've definitely up picked up some (but not many) levels in wrestler now I look; learn something new every day.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 14, 2014, 02:50:59 pm »

Another advantage of brassknuckles(and all weapons using the striker skill) is that you have one less combat skill being trained, so your recruits have one less Demonstration to waste time on!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 14, 2014, 04:16:19 pm »

Ah, I get you. Never knew the skill level was connected with the amount of moaning about patrol duty, and they've definitely up picked up some (but not many) levels in wrestler now I look; learn something new every day.

Yuppers, until they're Great wrestlers or weapon users (possibly not counting lashers and not counting knife users,) they'll habitually piss and moan about being on duty too long unless there's a steady stream of enemies to kill to provide a constant stack of "took joy in slaughter" thoughts to partially counter it, and they'll need varied drink and at the least a  steady supply of food and thier own rooms to also counter the progressively worsening patrol thought.

It's a little messed up that they can be legendary dodgers, fighters, and strikers and killed two dozen enemies and still bitch like a nonelite.

infiniteunrest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 17, 2014, 05:04:44 pm »

Really can't wait to see this updated. Such a fan.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 21, 2014, 06:16:38 am »

Them bugs/features:
Alchymists try to distill spook into already full vials and spill it(that can't possibly be healthy)
Making fuel rods demands three barrels of Hex and devours only one(but then again, maybe that's how enriching uranium works, I don't know)
Chainswords eat two mini-servos; chain axes, which are about as effective, only one.

And I'm looking forwards to see this mod, which is somehow so very DF, so very 40k and so very much itself, persevere in the 40th... version number. ;)

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 23, 2014, 03:34:18 am »

Thanks for all the bug reports and suggestions; I'll get right on fixing everything, hopefully.

I'm partially amenable to the idea of putting in an intermediate metal, but that would be a lot of work, especially if I'd extend it to non-gun weapons, since I'd further clutter up the forges and I'd have to manually put the new reactions into every entity's file. (I kind of don't know why I put those there - does anybody even play anything but Orlock? I might want to start a Cawdor succession fort at some point, based around building massive cathedrals and being giant hypocrites about everything.) More likely, I may just add in a more resource-intensive method of making steel without flux.

As for not finding any ferrum at all, that's just exceptionally unlucky, since it has a substantial chance of appearing in every layer type. And as for the update, you can expect it some time after the next DF version, since that'll be the one that fixes the immobile creatures bug.

I've also gone and nerfed knuckle dusters - they're still pretty good, they just require about 5 strikes to explode someone's head now. Chain weapons have been significantly buffed as well - I've seen most of them literally cut people in half now, among other things.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 25, 2014, 02:34:16 pm »

(I kind of don't know why I put those there - does anybody even play anything but Orlock? I might want to start a Cawdor succession fort at some point, based around building massive cathedrals and being giant hypocrites about everything.)
I played shortlived but fun Escher and Goliath forts and I want to try a Delaque fort sometimes soon, the information trade sounds cool. I would be highly interested in the succession fort, too! If I have the time for it, which is likely.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 25, 2014, 02:50:19 pm »

I considered the others but they just didn't really fit my preferences (my main preference being a fully functioning population to toss into the militia as needed and more-or-less efficient metal/fuel extraction so I can make the most of what I have available.) Escher and Goliath seem to be shot in the foot by nature with essentially half of either's population being borderline useless based on description, and the others just don't tickle my fancy, though the Delaque's listening post thing sounds interesting and Cawdor having easier access to flamers is somewhat tempting (though not by much.)

Jdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 25, 2014, 10:00:00 pm »

(I kind of don't know why I put those there - does anybody even play anything but Orlock?)

Heh, I used to play Orlocks back in TT so they're the ones for my main fort pretty much out of habit, and the 'test fort' for my squats is turning out surprisingly well, but I think I'll give the goliaths a run soon and see how they play.

I've also gone and nerfed knuckle dusters - they're still pretty good, they just require about 5 strikes to explode someone's head now.

Awwwwwww.

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 25, 2014, 10:08:03 pm »

Escher males may be useless, but if everything is working properly, 80% of them should be females. And the Goliaths, despite being made up entirely of Fist of the North Star villains, can actually make decent use of their females since they're only bad at combat. I'm actually not sure if the Delaques are any good at anything - it would be a lot easier to give them a niche if you could put stealth to any sort of use in Fortress Mode beyond hunting, but at the moment they're only really there for flavour. One of the things I've been considering is to make it so that in Fortress Mode, every Hiver civ will exist and have the ability to steal, siege and ambush, so that as Orlocks, you could have year-round attacks by Cawdors, Goliaths, Eschers and Van Saars in addition to Delaques and all the regular baddies, but I'm not sure if that would be a pain and I haven't had a lot of time to sit down and test fortresses.

As a side note, I've put the Enforcers back in too. At the moment they don't do much of anything, since they neither siege nor trade by default, but I've been considering certain circumstances where you might get a siege from them via DFHack.

EDIT: Aaaandddd it looks like despite the fact that IMMOBILE creatures can now attack and use interactions, they do this very, very slowly, as they spend most of their time between shots wondering why they can't move around.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:31:43 pm by Suds Zimmerman »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 25, 2014, 10:33:57 pm »

Stealth skill means they can ambush, which makes them a greater menace when defending against them in fortress mode.

Several mods also feature conversion of prisoners.  Maybe the Delaques could do that, with the logic being they are able to "trick" foes into fighting for them.

Jdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 26, 2014, 12:24:09 pm »

Putting the enforcers back in sounds pretty cool - to save on DFHack fiddling, maybe they could be set to siege at pop trigger 5 (or a custom trigger level), to represent them becoming aware of some new den of scum and villainy and coming to, ahem, impose some order. Is there a way to make them arrive in relatively small groups? IIRC, the enforcers in the Underhive are most often 'local' rather than Arbites, but they all still wear carapace armour and such, and forty-odd guys with carapace and bolters descending on a settlement is pretty much an overland clown rush. All that said, it would still be awesome to have, ie, an ingame reason for Uristes Dorfulum to absolutely detest enforcers.

Apropos of nothing, I think I've figured out why the guilders don't send someone to make trade agreements (but your own faction will). If I understand the wiki correctly, ESTABLISH_TRADE_AGREEMENTS only works for your faction, while other groups use a position with RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE, which the guilders don't currently have. Gonna test this now, but the way to stop Houses being able to negotiate (if you want to - I quite like your reasoning about House traders getting sent with whatever they've got, but it still seems like there'd be some room for a settlement to request/beg for certain goods) should thus be to remove the establish agreements responsibility so that caravan bosses are purely cosmetic positions for House civs, and give the guilders someone with the trade responsibility.

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 26, 2014, 11:11:03 pm »

Huh. Thanks for the heads-up on the trade weirdness.

Necromundan Enforcers are only local to the degree that they're subordinate to local planetary authorities rather than having their own independent power structure - in all other respects, they're pretty much identical to the Arbites, in the sense that they're recruited off-hive (if not off-planet) and have much of the same equipment. In-game, though, they use steel armour and shotguns for the most part, rather than carapace and boltguns - mainly since I don't think it'd be that fun for them to be essentially invulnerable in battle (which is what that particular combination of gear amounts to.) They're still pretty robust as is, due to the ubiquity of riot shields and chainswords, not to mention the inherent killiness of shotguns.

Likewise, since it's not possible (to my knowledge) to limit their numbers, I'd rather they be kept away for when a large-scale raid would be appropriate, such as the presence of a rogue psyker or some other serious infraction. I still have to think of some more appropriate ones.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33