Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: [DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.6.1  (Read 102010 times)

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.6.1
« on: December 15, 2012, 06:51:06 am »

not for use with other games. attempt at your own ‼peril‼

Version 1.6.1

Based on the Games Workshop tabletop game Necromunda. Attempt to lead a few hardy souls to build a new life in the treacherous badzones of the Necromundan Underhive. Repel vicious wildlife, fight off the predations of Scavvy Raiders, fend off brutal rebelling Pit Slaves and turn back incursions of zealous, fire-crazed Redemptionists. Concoct drugs, hi-tech materials and gunpowder through alchemy. Pen lovingly-crafted tomes of priceless knowledge. Manufacture deadly firearms, and turn your backwoods sump-hole into an Underhive Metropolis!

Spoiler: Important Notes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Features (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Civs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GUIDE TO HOUSES (click to show/hide)

Screenshots
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GUIDE TO BASIC WORKSHOPS

The WATER STILL is the backbone of any Underhive settlement, built using an Isotropic Fuel Rod and any suitable stone.
It collects, condenses and filters moisture from the atmosphere into bottles, which are emptied into barrels at the WATER FILLING AREA.
Without at least one, your settlement is sure to die a slow death by dehydration. They are operated by DISTILLERS, otherwise known as Brewers.
The bottles required for water distillation are made at the KILN by a GLASSMAKER, using raw green glass.

The RECEIVING BAY is an arbitrary area decided by you. It has no cost whatsoever, material or moral. Hivers refuse to unpack crates anywhere else, so be sure to build one.
Use it to unpack your fuel rod, crate of bottles and any weapons/ammunition or other miscellaneous supplies you may have brought.

The BREAKER STATION and SEPARATOR are used to remove useless materials from ore, increasing metal yields when said ore is smelted. These buildings also remove impurities from coal, to a similar effect.
The breaker requires a sledgehammer. The separator is a complex mechanical device, likely beyond the understanding of your subjects.
They are manned by crude, disposable manual LABOURERS otherwise known as PUMP OPERATORS.

The HIVER FORGE, METAL LATHE and PLASMA LATHE are all used to produce weapons and gun parts.
The forge requires hand tools; the basic lathe requires a lathe, a metal torch and hand tools - the plasma lathe also needs blueprints and a Fuel Rod.
The FIREARM ASSEMBLY BENCH is where you send your gun parts to become working firearms with the aid of a skilled GUNSMITH. It requires hand tools and blocks.

The ARMOURER WORKSHOP is where armour is made. It requires hand tools.

The CRAFTSMAN FORGE and CRAFTING LATHE are as the weapon forges/mills - but produce everything that isn't a weapon, including hand tools, which are vital to basic industry.
The forge requires hand tools; the crafting lathe is the same as the plasma lathe.

The RECLAIMATOR SHOP scavenges useful things, including tools, from any piles of junk your subjects may unearth. It is also used to assemble several more advanced tools, including rock drills and metal torches. The SALVAGER SHOP breaks down useful things into their basic components. Both require hand tools and the attendance of skilled TECHS.

The MACHINE ASSEMBLY AREA is where your hivers build larger industrial appliances, mainly lathes. It requires a metal torch, and is operated by skilled TECHS.

The RELOADING BENCH and CARTRIDGE FACTORY are where ammunition is made from lead, gunpowder, priming compound and brass or (in some cases) steel. The former requires only a table and chair - the latter requires all manner of mechanical doohickeys that Emperor-fearing folk should know nothing about. No special labour is required to produce ammunition.

The ALCHYMICAL WORKSHOP, CHYMICAL LABORATORIUM and ELECTROLYTIC SHRINE are the foundation of the alchymical trade, and are used to produce both flak, plastic and ammunition reagents. The building materials vary, but in most cases, three clear glass flasks and two large steel drums should suffice for a basic industry. These workshops are manned by CHYMISTS, who must be trained within your settlement.

The STILL produces booze whilst the KITCHEN produces food. Both are useful.
To produce booze, you require water, the appropriate plants and large drums.
The large drums may be crafted from rock at the CRAFTSMAN'S WORKSHOP or metal at any crafting forge or lathe.

GUIDE TO PLANTS AND FARMING

CAVE SPORES are a crop that grow anywhere and can be eaten raw. Untreated, the fungi have a small chance of inducing a mild disorienting sickness; however, they can be leached with LIME MILK to increase their nutritional value and taste whilst rendering them completely safe for consumption. They can also be distilled into HIVE SPIRITS, a favoured treat, at the Still.

BITTER MOSS is a surface crop that provides sustenance. It is relatively easy to grow and safe to consume, but relatively inefficient as a food source.

MEAL FUNGUS is an inedible overland crop that can be milled into FUNGAL FLOUR, which is baked into HARD LOAVES at the kiln. When processed in this manner, it is a highly efficient food source. It can also be brewed into SCUMMER BEER, another Underhive staple.

BLACK SAP FUNGUS is an inedible subterranean crop which can be turned into barrels of INK at the Farmer's Workshop. In addition to its use in scribing, the ink makes a damn fine soup stock. It can also be milled into BLACK DYE.

GHOST FINGERS are an adaptable fungal crop that thrive in any environment. They can be processed into barrels of LIME MILK at the Farmer's Workshop and they are used in Underhive papermaking. In the Underhive culinary tradition, limemilk is widely used in soups, in addition to its use in leaching Cave Spores.

CORPSE FUZZ is a crop that grows everywhere. It is processed into GRAVE COTTON THREAD, without which most Hivers would be going about naked. It can also be distilled into GRAVE WHISKEY, which packs a potent punch.

GUTTER LHO is a cash crop grown both in caves and tunnels and the open expanse of the Underhive surface. It is a common narcotic in the Underhive, and sells for a fair deal when properly processed.

DEVILTONGUE is a crop that can be rendered into edible jelly, although its primary use is in using the intact plant to produce the binder necessary for the manufacture of autogun and autopistol cartridges.

Lastly, BLOOD PETAL is an elusive subterranean crop that feeds on death and decay. It can be ground into RED DYE but by far its most favoured application is in the production of FRENZON, a potent combat drug. First, a good amount of the SANGUINE ESSENCE must be extracted into a vial at the Still, then that essence must be further processed at a properly equipped Chymical Workshop. The resulting concoction is highly sought after for its remarkable benefits.

Chalicier's Guide To Playing Underhive Settlement Mod

Spoiler: Credits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: FAQ (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Legal (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:39:34 am by Suds Zimmerman »
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.4.0
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 06:51:24 am »

Reserved.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 02:02:29 pm »

Is this the same as the previous underhive mod? I remember seeing one a while ago, played it once and quit when I realised there were only 3 ground types and most of it was this green stuff that killed my miners :/

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 02:03:58 pm »

PTW! To quote the heretic lord bale: YES! YES!
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 02:21:13 pm »

I ran a succession fort for this a while back, we'll hafta do that again! Thanks for resurrecting my favorite mod!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 02:25:21 pm »

Just tried Genning a world. It crashed the game at year 71.

Code: [Select]
Last login: Fri Dec 14 23:19:33 on console
/Users/ethanorem/Downloads/df_osx/df ; exit;
new-host:~ ethanorem$ /Users/ethanorem/Downloads/df_osx/df ; exit;
Loading bindings from data/init/interface.txt
2012-12-15 14:19:44.871 dwarfort.exe[14587:903] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.
New window size: 1440x450
Font size: 18x18
Resizing grid to 80x25
Resizing font to 18x18

Resetting textures
Resetting textures
Resetting textures
New window size: 1245x676
Font size: 18x18
Resizing grid to 80x37
Resizing font to 15x15

Resizing font to 15x15
Resizing font to 15x15
2012-12-15 14:22:35.066 dwarfort.exe[14587:5103] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1cab27a0 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
2012-12-15 14:22:35.066 dwarfort.exe[14587:5103] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x2b01820 of class NSCFNumber autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
2012-12-15 14:22:35.067 dwarfort.exe[14587:5103] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1e21280 of class NSCFDictionary autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
2012-12-15 14:22:35.067 dwarfort.exe[14587:5103] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x2b14860 of class NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
2012-12-15 14:22:35.068 dwarfort.exe[14587:5103] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x2b00900 of class NSCFNumber autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
2012-12-15 14:22:35.068 dwarfort.exe[14587:5103] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1e9c460 of class NSCFDictionary autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
2012-12-15 14:22:35.069 dwarfort.exe[14587:5103] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1cd89c30 of class NSCFArray autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
2012-12-15 14:22:35.069 dwarfort.exe[14587:5103] *** __NSAutoreleaseNoPool(): Object 0x1e906c0 of class SDL_QuartzWindow autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking
/Users/ethanorem/Downloads/df_osx/df: line 12: 14587 Bus error               ./dwarfort.exe
logout

[Process completed]
EDIT: Solved the problem on my own.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:37:29 pm by OREOSOME »
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 07:41:42 pm »

Is this the same as the previous underhive mod? I remember seeing one a while ago, played it once and quit when I realised there were only 3 ground types and most of it was this green stuff that killed my miners :/

There's a bunch of new stone types now. Only one of them is dangerous green stuff (toxic rubble), but there's not so much of it that you can't dig around. And even if you don't, it often contains rare and valuable minerals. I made some pretty drastic changes to the old mod, give it a try at least. For one, farming is rehauled - it was one of my biggest problems with the old mod. There's a lot less micromanagement now but you still have to manage mills, kilns and bags to get food going. I'm not 100% sure on the inorganic distribution, so y'all please get back to me - atm I think there's somewhat of a coal shortage. Imo, coal doesn't really make sense given the environment. I should rename it to carboniferous waste or something.

In any case, miners are expendable.

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DF 34.11] Warhammer 40k - Underhive Settlement 1.4.1
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 04:13:07 am »

Small update. Renamed hive coal to carboniferous waste and made it slightly more abundant. Added two new reactions to break down blocks to boulders to the breaker station. Added salt to the Hiver civ trading list and tweaked farming/cooking values. Also fixed Ratskin merchant graphics. I had them down as traders.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 04:18:04 am »

Just reading that the farming's been fiddled with is a bonus to me. There were a bunch of major turn offs about the older version of this mod and it sounds like some of them were addressed here. I'll have to give this a try later, though I'll probably mess with hand armor before I fire it up (Stupid motor nerves.)

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 05:30:11 am »

Just reading that the farming's been fiddled with is a bonus to me. There were a bunch of major turn offs about the older version of this mod and it sounds like some of them were addressed here. I'll have to give this a try later, though I'll probably mess with hand armor before I fire it up (Stupid motor nerves.)

I think I fixed a lot of your problems with the old version. Particularly in regards to armour; you can make full suits now (including gauntlets, helmets and boots). Only carapace and flak protect against bullets, though, and flak (the cheaper option) only comes in vest and helmet form. I also implemented your reclaimation suggestion. Dig out those clusters and hope for a Mung Vase or some bolt shells. The prometheum, too, although it's fairly useless without significant industrial infrastructure.

I'm toying with the idea of making bolters producible in-game, but I can't envision a process that is both suitably laborious and not that tedious. Bolters are OP, anyway.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 05:35:25 am »

Oh yeah you were the graphics guy weren't you? I'm amazed anyone listened to that. My complaints about armor were because of DF's engine being better suited to melee, since the game can't really adequatly represent the destructive power of even a simple autogun which should be able to take off limbs or some crap at least. With the armor adressed I guess I'll download it and dive right in. I still need to get over my whole "Preserving human lives" thing though.

Bolters: From what I can tell those are WAAAAAY beyond what the average hiver could make but I'm sure a few have been lost over time and waiting to be found again or smuggled around.

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 05:43:52 am »

I think the firearms are pretty well represented right now, actually. I spent a lot of time in the testing arena getting the values right. A few shots to center of mass will put down nearly anything, especially humanoids. Their main drawback is limited ammo, since you can't make it out of just lead, any more, so melee is still a viable option. Even more so if you acquire or produce some chain weapons.

Bolters are in the mod already, purchasable from the Guilders for about the cost of a fair-sized tropical island. You just can't manufacture them or their ammunition.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 05:57:02 am »

I'd say that's fair then. I've just never had reliable expeirences with ranged weapons aside from a railgun that splattered people on walls and a gun that fired serrated disc ammo, and with building material in the older mod being the damned source of everything that made it even less attractive as a means to deal with threats, especially since mining drills did the same thing for a vastly cheaper cost resourcewise and more efficently to boot, since projectiles tended to sure, cripple a target, but that was just it: It would on average hit limbs and sometimes just piss off the thing being shot.

However I'm firing it up now, just to see if I won't be starving out in the first year and ripping the depots in a panic for food and weapons to fight off the damned spiders with.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 08:46:55 am »

If it is not too much trouble, could you provide an alternative download with just the raw files and possibly world gen file if you have a custom one? Your pre-installed is probably Windows version, which is just extra baggage to download for me.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 02:04:04 pm »

Splint, with the armor fixed, can we count on you for the succession fort?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33