Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bay 12 Book of the Month Thread  (Read 397 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Bay 12 Book of the Month Thread
« on: December 15, 2012, 02:11:10 am »

I've been thinking about something. Not too long ago, someone whom I can't remember proposed the lot of us going on a personal quest to read 52 books in 2013.

That's a noble goal, to be sure, but it's just not doable for a lot of us. We have jobs, we have school, we have all sorts of things getting in the way. It's just a plain fact: the majority simply wouldn't be able to read 52 great big books this year.

So here's my alternative: let's all of us read, or try to read, a book a month, chosen by common consensus. It's the middle of December right now, so we should choose one we could start now and finish by the end of January.

I'm thinking we should probably focus on classics, or, at least, not trash. (So Fifty Shades of Grey and Twilight are out of the question actually, it could be kind of fun after a few months when we're sick of Books about the Human Condition to take a few cheap potshots at something of the sort...). We also wouldn't limit necessarily limit ourselves to one book a month. For example, if we decided we wanted to read War and Peace, we could make it a two-month book. Or, if we wanted to take a break, we could take the month to read a couple of plays.

That's the idea, anyways. I'm open to nominations and would set up a poll in a couple days. PM me nominations or advertise in this thread. I'll limit the poll to my four favorite nominations, plus a personal wild card, and we'd read the plurality (unless we wanted to do a two-tier election like the French presidential election?)

That being said, we should keep this low-key. Far from a lit class where you must read it by the end of the month and write an argumentative essay on it, think of this as your friendly club of book geeks getting together over a cup of coffee and discussing something that they all decided to read...or get through half of...or pick up...and just sort of talk and think about it.

Anyways, let's start with something not particularly difficult (that is to say, not that long)...

EDIT: I just realized that there's a certain conflict of interest if I always choose. Maybe we should have a rotating chairship?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 02:27:08 am by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.