Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Greene County Paranormal Society -- OOC Thread  (Read 519 times)

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
Greene County Paranormal Society -- OOC Thread
« on: October 30, 2022, 09:33:55 pm »

The Greene County Paranormal Society

It is January 1st, 1997 in the sleepy town of Johnsburro, Illinois. Deep into the second term of President Sloane, the United States seems to go from strength to strength. Economic dominance over the entire world, an era of unrivaled hegemony following the collapse of the Soviet Union and muscular foreign intervention into Yugoslavia and Mexico. Even the old Rustbelt, seemingly waning as industrial capacity leaves American shores to move overseas, has seen an upswing as jobs and money flows across the country.

Johnsburro is no exception to this. Founded in the 1800s to service the railroad and a steel mill, the town has experienced boom and bust. The largest town in Greene County, located in the center of Illinois, it seems a lot like any other small, Midwestern town. The twin factories in town, the Cyberfun toy factory and the Harbinge Technology appliance factory, provide employment for most of the town. A small commercial core provides basic services, even as it suffers from the encroaching influence of Walmart and other big box stores springing up on the edge of town. The local high school has a sports rivalry with the Newhampton Jaguars the next town over, a handful of churches provide a sense of belonging to the community and a local hospital is capable of treating almost any ailment someone can come down with. It is an era of prosperity as businessmen make money hand over fist, kids play in suburban streets and tree covered lanes, teenagers read gossip rags and listen to the latest hits on their boomboxes and parents fret over ‘urban music’ and Dungeons and Dragons.

However under the surface, behind the tacky neon lights of the 90s, darkness lurks. Layoffs at the Cyberfun plant has sparked fear in the community about what would happen if either factory left town. Drugs slowly start to penetrate their way into the town, feeding a captive audience of bored teens and troubled burn outs. Conspicuous consumption leads to gross displays of wealth from the rich and powerful while the farming communities around the town start to wither on the vine. Big box stores and national chains start to push out local businesses, leaving empty storefronts up and down main street.

These woes are compounded by ones of a more esoteric sort. Whispers of a possible serial killer are starting to go around after mutilated bodies are found in the woods outside of town. Bouts of madness spring up among the suburbs, the victims ranting of shadow figures and malformed creatures. The runoff from the Harbinge factory has tainted the Waapi River, spreading disease among the animals and plants on its banks. Further afield the small towns around Johnsburro talk of weird lights and voices in the hills, and of government vans patrolling the areas afterwards.

As the strange and weird become more and more common some of the people of Johnsburro take notice. No longer content to ignore the world by sticking their heads into the MTV gilded reality of the 90s, they have gathered together to figure out what is going on. Meeting in the basement of the 2nd Street Lutheran Church on the 1st, 15th and last day of each month, the Greene County Paranormal Society has come together to push a light into the esoteric darkness around them. Their own curiosity and drive may spell their end if the darkness reaches back. That is, of course,  if the monsters already in their ranks don't end the Society first.

Intro and Rules

Hello everyone, and welcome to Greene County Paranormal Society! I am Mcclay, who some of you may remember from way, way back in the day as being a fairly active poster on this board. When I was a kid I used to play in all the old freeform RPs here on Bay12. Twilight Academy, Eclipse Heights, Lost and Found of the Multiverse, Rise of the Magical Girls. Classics that I’ve grown a strong nostalgia for. With a rather copious amount of free time on my hands with my new job, and struck by a spark of inspiration, I’ve decided to try and make a game in the mold of those ones, if ideally a bit more mature in terms of writing quality.

Unlike a good deal of those games GCPS is not set in a fantasy world or at a magical highschool. Instead it is set in the year 1997 in a small town in central Illinois in a world that is close to our own, but not quite the same. The main inspirations for this game are Analog Horror, slasher films, cosmic horror and urban fantasy. This game is about a group of normal people tremendously out of their league trying to explore and understand the unknown and suffering the consequences. With the backdrop of the corrupt and opulent 90s, a time of of immense wealth and growing poverty, serving as both set dressing and important part of the themes of this game.

Before we get into character claims I want to set some quick ground rules first:

• Follow all the rules of Bay12. Please do not post things that will get this thread closed down and people banned.
  • Respect your fellow players and be excellent to each other. This is a collaborative storytelling experience, so view the other players as co-authors working with you to make this story as good as it possibly can be.
  • Don’t godmod. This is a story about normal people going up against the horrors of the world. Claw victories where you can and stand against the darkness, but always be aware that failure can and often should happen. Very few people get out of the scenarios presented in, say, the Mandela Catalog happy, safe and alive.
  • Don’t be a Creep. Generally don’t be fucking weird about boundaries and other people.
  • Keep to a high standard of posting. I am going to try to not be a freak about grammar and pretty posts or whatever, but please do try and make your posts read well. Proper punctuation, spelling, clarity in writing and use of paragraphs and fonts can help a post really shine and elevate the quality of the entire story.
  • Remain Active. I know that we all don’t have the same amount of endless free time we once did, but I would like this game to remain fairly active. If you can post a few times a week at minimum that would be ideal.
  • Everyone is a Storyteller. This is a free form RPG, and ideally after the initial few opening posts I won’t have to do much besides enforce the occasional rule, give lore and plot advice, run a few plots and play my character. If you want to run a sub plot or a plot just send me a PM on Bay 12 or Discord.

The Discord for this game is Here

Characters

The PCs in this game are normal people who live in Johnsburro and its surroundings who have experienced something strange that made them sit up and take in the world around them more critically. Maybe they saw something in the woods that couldn’t be any earthly animal. Perhaps they came across the ritually murdered body of a friend and couldn’t let go of the urge to dive deeper. Maybe a loved one was replaced by something inhuman and the Society is the only place where people might believe them. Whatever the case, your PC should have a drive to explore the supernatural, even if it kills them.

At the moment I would prefer only regular, human characters. If you want to play a supernatural being right off the bat then fill out the character sheet without any mention of the supernatural  send me an expansion to your bio explaining your esoteric nature on either Bay12 or Discord PMs and I will look it over. Be aware that I will be super selective with the supernatural starting characters, and there is a chance there might not be one at all. Don’t worry, you’ll get your chance to have something awful happen to your character that twists them from human to something else soon enough.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 09:36:25 pm by mcclay »
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greene County Paranormal Society -- OOC Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 09:34:29 pm »

Reserved For Character List

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 09:34:55 pm »

GCPS Archive

In the basement of the 2nd Street Lutheran Church is a desk, upon which sits two humming computer monitors and a whole host of books and journals. Papers clutter the desk’s surface, post-it notes and pens scattered about haphazardly on top of them. The walls around the desk are filled up with yet more books whose topics range from local folklore to esoteric stories from Europe to stolen corporate earnings reports.

This is the Archive of the GCPS, created by its members to help in their quest to uncover the mysteries of the world. Curated by the kindly Pastor Carmen, this is where the Paranomal Society conducts its research and study. A small fund contributes to internet and electricity costs, along with a small pool of cameras and recording equipment. A VCR and TV nearby can be used to look over any video media the Society may come across, and a small stereo system can be used to listen to tapes and other bits of audio.

The GCPS Archive is where the Greene County Paranormal Society, and thus the players, collates all their information on the supernatural and Greene County. Over the course of play, as players uncover mysteries and delve into secrets best left hidden, I will be updating this section. Some stuff will be entirely of my own creation, but PMing me things to add is more than encouraged. As well,  after plots if players want to write up their own, in-character archive entries they are more than welcome to do so.

Greene County

Spoiler: Fort Mignard (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Maanikai Mounds (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Derfolk (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shawsonee (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hastfield (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Newhampton (click to show/hide)

Johnsburro

Spoiler: History of Johnsburro (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Abernathy High School (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Johnsburro Synagogue (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: O’Hanrahan’s Pub (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Darke Laire (click to show/hide)

Corporations

Spoiler: Cyberfun Tech Inc (click to show/hide)

Rumors

Spoiler: Maanikai Slasher (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Madness Epidemic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Waapi River Pollution (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Civil War Ghosts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fort Mignard Animal (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MiBs Abound (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 11:27:11 pm by mcclay »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 07:34:02 pm »

Posting to express interest, even if I can't decide what to do yet.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 07:14:34 pm »

I ain't dead and neither is my ability to play forum graems

Spoiler: Nathan Miller (click to show/hide)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 12:44:03 am »

owo what's this