Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 1001 REAL GM Tips  (Read 8264 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: 1001 REAL GM Tips
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2019, 03:16:55 pm »

70. Necromancy of old threads will almost always get some flack from the peanut gallery, but if you post in your old game to announce a sequel that can be helpful for those that had notifications turned on, and likewise reviving a "list" or useful body of information that is still relevant is really more a service than starting from scratch.

71. Always answer player questions.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2019, 05:43:17 pm »

72. If you say you will update a game at a specific time, failing to do so will cause your players to lose faith in you; even dead silence is preferable to this.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2019, 05:45:09 pm »

73. PTW is good, always trust me I'm a doctor

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2019, 06:23:06 pm »

74: When making a game where there's a lot of player freedom, do not craft a number of large highly detailed paths on a story line, instead focus on a bunch of characters connected to points with possibilities and results that are related to eachother that can when put together in a number of ways lead to many many different pictures that one might call a story.
75: If you have a game where they player's can do whatever they like, be sure to make the world have a decent amount of interesting locations and kingdoms/republic's/empires.
76: Be prepared for your players to become merchants instead of mercenaries or adventurers if they have the chance.
77: Make your world feel alive, if your players end up rolling a 1 on an encounter, instead of some nameless monster being thrown at them, throw one that the people from the nearby village were talking about plaguing their lands, or some infamous bandit. In fact feel feee to make whatever you throw at them something that might reoccur in the local area. Additionally make sure that if there is some big bad trying to end the world and everyone knows about it there are more than just the players actually doing things to try and stop it, and that the world changes with time. In fact, feel free to have the players find out that one villain they stopped hunting for a year and a half after going and doing a bunch of side plots and other things was actually defeated by some other group.
78: Give even shopkeepers character, and allow that character to be flexible. In fact don't be surprised when one of your players tries to get the shopkeep to join them.
79: Be flexible with everything, your players likely will do something unexpected, stupid, or even pull out a bunch of minor things they asked if they had earlier that are a part of a master plan to destroy whatever you just threw at them. It will likely be sooner or later that someone will do something that causes a major change of plans. In fact, it's practically inevitable.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2019, 08:20:57 am »

80. If you realise one of your players is a more experienced GM than you, pay careful attention to their actions and posts, you may learn something.
One wheel short of a wagon

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2019, 09:51:31 am »

23. Your plot idea won't have as much filler as it needs. Get used to it, because that problem ain't going away.
81. Even if you’ve made lots of filler for your players, remember: If you give them the freedom to do so, they will create their own filler, especially if that means killing things that were important to you, or derailing the plit beyond repair.
82. If they do derail your plot, don’t be afraid to go along with it. Some of the best tales from Games will come from when chaos erupts.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2019, 10:36:51 am »

83. Don't add so many rules and details that you turn a fun pastime into Spreadsheets: The Game

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2019, 12:10:29 pm »

84. Join the General Forum Game Discord Server or make your own for your game and have players correct your mistakes or ask rule clarification questions there.
85. A mechanic your game centers around might be good, like resources and their acquisition for my game, Planet War.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 12:17:17 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2019, 02:56:44 pm »

86:
<SUMMONING THEREDWOLF>
<SUMMONING THEREDWOLF>
<SUMMONING THEREDWOLF>

If you're going to abandon a forum game, at least verbally state it in the thread or just lock it.

<SUMMONING THEREDWOLF>
<SUMMONING THEREDWOLF>
<SUMMONING THEREDWOLF>
it's over

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2019, 10:09:52 pm »

72. If you say you will update a game at a specific time, failing to do so will cause your players to lose faith in you; even dead silence is preferable to this.
87:If you did say will update at a specific time and fail to update apologize. After that either don't stick to a schedule, or do but don't tell your players.
My Forum game(s):
None for now

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2019, 11:46:54 pm »

Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2019, 08:24:57 pm »

84. Join the General Forum Game Discord Server or make your own for your game and have players correct your mistakes or ask rule clarification questions there.
89: This is wrong, do not do this, discord bad, forum better

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2019, 08:31:43 pm »

89: This is wrong, do not do this, discord bad, forum better
90. Poll the players to see if they want a discord(only offer a discord if the majority of players want it).
My Forum game(s):
None for now

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2019, 01:35:02 am »

91. Or create a Discord anyway, just don't post *really* essential information there if you have a player who doesn't want to use it.
92. Making the waitlisters participate somehow would be good. Maybe have them control characters that would otherwise be NPCs?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 01:38:14 am by MaxTheFox »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2019, 02:11:26 pm »

PTW
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5