Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neocolonialism buy the world  (Read 2374 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Neocolonialism buy the world
« on: January 04, 2013, 06:48:45 pm »

so this just got kickstarted

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subalterngames/neocolonialism?ref=category

It also got a feature in Rock paper shotgun - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/18/timely-disaster-neocolonialism/

basically you play a corporation and try to take over the world.

proper description =

Neocolonialism is the game that I have always wanted: a really fun game with strategic depth and with real-world, socially constructive implications.

The game is about ruining the entire world via unchecked capitalism. This is a game of tense negotiation, staggering sociopathy, and sarcasm. This is a game of world conquest without any armies or war--you never own any piece of land, but you will become a powerful influence throughout the globe.

In Neocolonialism, you will:

Buy votes in national parliaments
    Elect a Prime Minister
    Exploit the working class
    Make free trade agreements
    Manipulate the International Monetary Fund
    Liquidate your assets into your Swiss bank account.

Get the current alpha now at = http://subalterngames.com/ its multiplayer

anyone else played this it looks really interesting, I'm just downloading it now.

As ever expand and discuss
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:54:27 pm by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Neocolonialism buy the world
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:41:08 pm »

Ahah, I love that south-north map. One person actually bought the 500$ north-south map build.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 07:50:31 pm »

Ahah, I love that south-north map. One person actually bought the 500$ north-south map build.
It looks really frigging weird with the map curved like that... It somehow seems less accurate than most standard maps.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 08:15:46 pm »

Lost to Straus-Khan and Dimon. Was doing random stuff, and something happened. I don't really know what.

Anyone know how to do anything ? What are the different signs ?

Don't do Options in the options stuff. It will crash the game. Change it in the config file.

Edit : It's also not really multiplayer yet, as it lacks the ability to connect to Internet. But I guess something like Hamachi could work.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:17:25 pm by PanH »

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 08:20:09 pm »

Looks pretty fun, once you get past the whole "blatant propaganda" thing. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 11:50:09 pm »

It looks really frigging weird with the map curved like that... It somehow seems less accurate than most standard maps.

I think, though don't quote me on it, that it's some sort of equal-area projection.  The idea is basically to make equivalent land areas on the globe equivalent in area on the projection, avoiding things like Australia looking like a fraction of the size of Greenland, though this tends to screw up distances even worse than on most other projections.  It also looks really goofy compared to equidistant projections like the ubiquitous Mercator.   Given the political argument Peters threw into the mess and the general tone of the game Kickstarter, it's probably not really an unexpected choice, thinking about it, though it is funny to point out that for all its vaunted superiority in modeling the relative surface area, it actually does a far worse job of dealing with distortion in (Third-World) equatorial nations, greatly favoring the temperate latitudes where most of the First World are located. 

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 01:42:25 am »

I love* how I have to pay $500 for a map that looks normal to my northwestern mind.

*By love, I mean hate.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 08:42:01 am »

I love* how I have to pay $500 for a map that looks normal to my northwestern mind.

*By love, I mean hate.

Surely you mean southeastern :P
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

subalterngames

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 11:55:59 pm »

I am happy to see Dwarf Fortress folks playing my game!

Anyone know how to do anything ? What are the different signs ?
Which signs are giving you trouble? They are a recent addition to the alpha, and I hope to clarify them in subsequent builds.

Don't do Options in the options stuff. It will crash the game. Change it in the config file.
This will be addressed in a week or two.

Some say that propaganda is political argument that you disagree with. I think propaganda is political argument that is uninformed. What do you think?

*By love, I mean hate.
hehe. Surely you DF players can handle an odd projection  :)

--Subaltern Games

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 12:09:53 am »

Some say that propaganda is political argument that you disagree with. I think propaganda is political argument that is uninformed. What do you think?

"Propaganda is a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position by presenting only one side of an argument. Propaganda is usually repeated and dispersed over a wide variety of media in order to create the chosen result in audience attitudes."

That is, of course, assuming that Wikipedia isn't using propaganda itself to push its own opinion on what propaganda is.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 12:12:51 am »

That's so meta.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 12:15:54 am »

Yo, I heard you liked propaganda...
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.