Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Call of Cthulhu RPG  (Read 8818 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: Call of Cthulhu RPG
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2012, 01:48:19 pm »

Actually that'd make a great twist to it. The players would assume the people buying the land were 'clued in' so it'd be something they wouldn't expect if they really where innocent all along and victims of circumstance.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:51:02 pm by MorleyDev »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2012, 01:50:39 pm »

it'd actually make a good twist that they really where innocent all along and victims of circumstance.

It is sad when this is the twist.

I mean shouldn't it be expected they either are entirely innocent and it was pure coincidence or that they were influenced by unseen forces?

Dang it Cults!

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2012, 01:53:37 pm »

Not really, players always suspect the con. It's why fun for a GM or even video game to never just say "There are no traps", but instead say "You don't detect any traps". Or just randomly ask them "how do you open the door?" even if the door is just an ordinary door. Plays into their suspicions and makes them go all paranoid.

Besides, innocent along is just the other extreme. Maybe the people started off innocent way and the players arrive just as they start to progress from innocent to clued in, so some of them have been corrupted and some are completely ignorant. Then they need to investigate and discover who does know about the mythos and may try and stop them, as well as try and find a more permanent solution to the whole "monsters from another dimension living in the cellar" problem.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:58:25 pm by MorleyDev »

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2012, 02:48:41 pm »

Well, I don't know massively how to do this, but RPG's are kinda fun, i'll try and find some source material.
Everybody!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2012, 03:27:01 pm »

I always wanted to play a CoC game but my lack of experience in RP games (not to mention my accent, heh) may ruin it for the other players. Is it okay for you guys if I quietly watch the game, if that website allows it somehow?

I imagine you'll be able to communicate via text if you feel your accent will be a problem :)

Eh, I still feel like I should be watching a game first to learn things, if that's okay. I'm not really confident when it comes to tabletop RPing. I read a few games but I have never watched a game while it was being played. If this becomes a thing, I might join the next game. I will probably miss the first session anyway because I will be traveling for a few days.

By the way, who is the GM and how many max players you guys will have?

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2012, 03:55:16 pm »

Hey im the GM, and i will have a max of 8 players

and yeah you can watch that's fine :) you can watch that's fine

also guys i will be using 6th edition rules of this and the game

He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2012, 04:35:00 pm »

I take it you want participants to read the rules first?

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2012, 04:38:23 pm »

uhm it would be helpful, im using the 6th edition. and it would be very helpful although i have changed a few mechanics to accommodate for play which i will reveal to everyone close to the campaign start.

But reading the rules is not vital and i will take time to explain.

also god i have been talking to a couple of people playing over TS one of them plans on becoming the group mage and says for the greater good as a face palm at his efforts at wanting to capture cultists to sacrifice for spells.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2012, 04:39:35 pm »

Eh, I still feel like I should be watching a game first to learn things, if that's okay. I'm not really confident when it comes to tabletop RPing. I read a few games but I have never watched a game while it was being played. If this becomes a thing, I might join the next game. I will probably miss the first session anyway because I will be traveling for a few days.

There are a few people who do podcasts that are recordings of games being played. I find Role-Playing Public Radio's are surprisingly entertaining, plus they do a lot of one-shots that may give you an idea for how the game's played without having a whole campaign to pay attention to.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2012, 04:42:28 pm »

I would like to reserve a spot as well, if you would do so kindly

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2012, 04:59:05 pm »

I used to play the old Chaosium rules, 2nd or 3rd edition I think. Still have the rulebooks tucked away somewhere.

The two best usages I've seen of it:

1. Indiana Jones meets AAAAAUGHWTFISTHAT?!??. The investigators are pulpy heroes (the swashbuckling archaeologist, the millionaire secret Golden Age hero, the hardboiled gumshoe, etc.). Throw in plenty of Nazis and Nazi occultism and then slowly tie in the Mythos. Bear in mind that most of your players will be genre-savvy, so fuck all that up by never letting them know exactly what it is that's out there. By coming up with new things that they never saw in a Lovecraft story, but which fit the genre. Hell, one of the most terrifying encounters we ever had in a game like that was an escaped Nazi Ubermensch clone thing in a U-boat. Basically, running from bow to stern through the compartments, shooting at it and trying to lock the compartment doors to buy enough time to get to the rear hatch, then setting off a flare gun in the diesel tank as we all jump off, Hollywood style.

2. Alternate horror genres. Chaosium actually published a pair of scenario books based on different classic horror tropes (vampires, werewolves, demonic toys, possessed children, theatrical serial killers, etc.) and using the CoC rules. FUN STUFF. Especially the second book where they dug deeper and you had a scenario where your characters were luchadores, echoing classics like El Santo vs. The Vampire Women. If you have a group that are film buffs/horror buffs/incredibly genre-savvy, this can be a riot.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2012, 06:02:33 pm »

It's why fun for a GM or even video game to never just say "There are no traps", but instead say "You don't detect any traps". Or just randomly ask them "how do you open the door?" even if the door is just an ordinary door. Plays into their suspicions and makes them go all paranoid

Sometimes this develops into what I like to call "I leave the car" syndrome.

For those who don't know this, because I made it up, it is when a car parks and instead of immediately going to the scene inside the building every single player MUST state that they are leaving the car. Thus inflating the playing time doing essentially nothing.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2012, 06:39:02 pm »

That's why you can't do it every time. A good GM knows the limits (and so does anyone who can read their players' boredom).

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2012, 06:55:44 pm »

Also people as a side note the way I will be keeping the game is that it will be more sandbox ish so you decided what to investigate and how to do things, apart from the first couple where I find my footing.

Also on extended rest ( not in the middle of a story ) you may pester me to do out of game things like try to invent something, get in contact with one of your contacts for some help and general out of story stuff like buying weapons Ect....

Due to the sheer amount of stuff I have to look after please could you keep your own characters, also you won't have hammer space and will have to take only certain things with you on each game ( for now maybe ;) )

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2012, 08:58:32 pm »

It's why fun for a GM or even video game to never just say "There are no traps", but instead say "You don't detect any traps". Or just randomly ask them "how do you open the door?" even if the door is just an ordinary door. Plays into their suspicions and makes them go all paranoid

Sometimes this develops into what I like to call "I leave the car" syndrome.

For those who don't know this, because I made it up, it is when a car parks and instead of immediately going to the scene inside the building every single player MUST state that they are leaving the car. Thus inflating the playing time doing essentially nothing.
Yes. Making the players paranoid is the best way to GM. Don't inflate playtime, just ask them 'How do you enter the building?'
Also, the trick to CoC is to be a Henderson and have a shitton of explosives. As previously stated, the D20 version is shit.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7