Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: [GIVEAWAY] Everyday cheer for the unlucky  (Read 16016 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
[GIVEAWAY] Everyday cheer for the unlucky
« on: December 17, 2012, 04:07:30 pm »

Hello everyone,

My country, Portugal, is undergoing complete economic collapse. Lots of people I know, including family, are going into unemployment. Many are over 40 and 50 and will likely never be employed again. Mostly everyone who is not getting fired is receiving massive pay cuts and punitive tax increases. An absolutely non-trivial percentage of the middle class is descending into abject poverty. More and more I see desperation, well-dressed people rummaging through garbage, often in the peak of darkness for embarrassment they might be seen, and such nervousness and duress that fistfights start for no real reason.

I try to realise what it is for such a large human population to be subjected to this humiliation for no fault of their own, but I find I cannot. I also cannot commiserate, since I am lucky not to find myself particularly affected. I can only feel the deep sadness that naturally emanates from large-scale descent into misery.

What I can do, however, is try to brighten up people's days a little. I try to help with little things, small gestures, whenever I can. Tiny, tiny things like carrying a heavy bag for someone, or helping them catch something they accidentally dropped. A smile, perhaps...

And, for anyone that's undergoing a similar situation (unemployment, disease, loss, ...), anywhere in the world, I would be honoured if you would let me offer you a game. I hope it helps you forget, even if for a little while only, the things happening to you that you cannot control.

If you care to share, I would love to hear your story, here or through PMs. This is, of course, not necessary, since it might make you uncomfortable. We will see how this goes, but I trust this wonderful community will self-regulate just fine.

Here's what this community can offer:

Steam
- Metro 2033 (originally from Amazon)
- Red Faction: Armageddon Path to War DLC (thanks sebcool!)
- Magicka: The Stars Are Left DLC (originally from Amazon)
- World of Goo (Humble Bundle)
- Toki Tori (Humble Bundle)
- Crayon Physics Deluxe (Humble Bundle)
- Titan Quest (Humble Bundle)
- Titan Quest (Humble Bundle, thanks Vactor!)
- Titan Quest (Humble Bundle, thanks alexandertnt)
- Titan Quest (thanks sebcool!)
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (thanks sebcool!)
- The Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb DLC (Humble Bundle)
- Closure (Humble Bundle)
- Snapshot (Humble Bundle)
- Brazen Prototype x3 (Humble Bundle, thanks BuriBuriZaemon!)
- Miner Wars: Arena (Indie Gala)
- Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (Indie Gala)
- Vegas Make It Big (Indie Gala)
- Fireburst (Indie Gala)
- Zombie Pirates (Indie Gala)
- Civilization 5 (thanks Greenbane!)
- Max Payne 3 (thanks Reudh!)
- GTA: Vicy City (thanks stabbymcstabstab!)
- Gettysburg Armoured Warfare (Indie Gala)
- A Game of Dwarves (Indie Gala)
- Europa Universalis III: Chronicles (Indie Gala)
- Waveform (Indie Royale)
- Avadon: The Black Fortress (Indie Royale)
- Guns of Icarus Online (IndieGameStand)
- Guns of Icarus Online: Original Soundtrack (IndieGameStand)
- Guns of Icarus Online: Captain’s Costume Pack (IndieGameStand)
- Saints Row: The Third (thanks sebcool!)
- Mount & Blade (thanks stabbymcstabstab!)
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (Humble Bundle, thanks Vactor!)
- Dungeon Defenders + DLC (Humble Bundle)
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (Humble Bundle)
- Red Faction: Guerrilla (originally from Amazon)
- Red Faction: Armageddon (originally from Amazon)
- Europa Universalis III: Chronicles (originally from Amazon)
- Europa Universalis III: Chronicles (Paradox Newsletter)
- Magicka Collection (originally from Amazon)
- Awesomenauts (Steam gift)
- Civilization 5 (Steam, thanks Vactor!)
- Shank 2 (Humble Bundle)
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (originally from Amazon)

Gamersgate
- Orczz
- Alien Shooter 2 Conscription
- Bridge It
- Eryi's Action
- Terrorhedron 3D
- Caster
- Zombies
- War of the Human Tanks
- Will Fight for Food
- Zombie Shooter 2
- Street Racing Syndicate
- Guilty Gear Isuka
- Gun Metal
- Zafehouse Diaries

Desura
- Paranormal (Indie Gala)
- Conquest of Elysium (thanks a1s!)
- Zafehouse: Diaries (Indie Royale)
- Derrick the Deathfin (Indie Royale)
- War of the Human Tanks (Indie Royale)

Gamersgate, gifted by the wonderfully generous jocan2003
- DeadEnd Cerebral Vortex
- Defenders of Ardania
- King Arthur: Fallen Champions
- Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West
- Lunar Flight
- Magicka Collection
- Magicka: Holiday Spirit DLC
- Magicka: Horror Props DLC
- Magicka: Lonely Island Cruise DLC
- Magicka: The Stars Are Left DLC
- Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
- Mount & Blade
- Mount & Blade Warband
- Mount & Blade Warband: Napoleonic Wars
- Naval War: Arctic Circle
- Red Crow Mysteries: Legion
- Sengoku
- Ship Simulator Extremes
- Ship Simulator Extremes - Sigita Pack DLC
- Ship Simulator Extremes - Ferry Pack DLC
- Ship Simulator Extremes Cargo Vessel DLC
- Ship Simulator Extremes: Oceana Cruise Ship DLC
- Ship Simulator Extremes Offshore Vessel DLC
- Strategic War in Europe
- Super Meat Boy
- Supreme Ruler Cold War
- Tales from the Dragon Mountain: The Strix
- The Kings' Crusade
- Warlock: Master of the Arcane
- Warlock: Master of the Arcane: Powerful Lords DLC

Indie Gala Goodness

Indie Gala did a crazy awesome Happy Hour which appears to have resulted in 8 of all the following!

Steam
- Gettysburg: Armoured Warfare (#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8)
- A Game of Dwarves (#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8)
- Warlock: Master of the Arcane (#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8)
- Europa Universalis III: Chronicles (#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8)
- Defenders of Ardania (#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8)

GamersGate
- Street Racing Syndicate (#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8)
- Guilty Gear Isuka (#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8)
- Gun Metal (#1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8)

I think all of these should work/be giftable, but I cannot promise anything since they are mish-mash from various bundles that I've bought over the years. I apologise in advance for anything that doesn't work out. I just wish Humble Bundle would give different keys for every game. I'd have a lot more to offer...

Sorry about the long-winded message, and a big hug to all those that have been thrown a curve ball by life.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:56:12 am by Anvilfolk »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [GIVEAWAY] Christmas cheer for the unlucky
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 05:47:30 pm »

AnvilFolk, I feel for you. The same thing happened during the SE Asia currency crisis in 1999 in my country of origin. Ironically, I just quit my job because the management engaged in unethical behaviours. It could be a career suicide and would take awhile to get employed again, but it had to be done.

I think there are others worse off so I am just here to say: Mate, this is very noble of you. There is joy in giving and I hope you will blessed even more!

And to all of you hanging by the thread: You're not alone and there is nothing to be ashamed of. Giving up is a choice, but so is moving forward!
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 05:59:31 pm »

Now I must say I am surprised what members this forum has. I am generally new to forums and generally internet (got it two years ago) and I never saw this behavior on any of few forums I joined. Really because of people like you this world still has hope.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 09:43:27 am »

This is actually nothing... I mean, I already own most of these or am not going to play them. I'm actually feeling pretty terrible about that, so if there's a relatively cheap game or bundle you really really want, let me know and we'll see what can be done :)

Like I said, I am very lucky that I am not being directly affected. I just hope all this doesn't sound presumptuous, holier than thou or demeaning. I just want people who are unluckier than me (because being born somewhere into some family IS just a matter of luck) to have the same opportunities that I do, at least in situations where I can help.

Please, don't feel ashamed. Nobody is judging, and these games really should be played :)

Since so few people have been saying anything, I guess this'll stay open as long as there are games to be handed out. We've already had someone else donating a few games - I will update and answer PMs as soon as I have time (tonight?).

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 10:56:54 am »

Wow, I didn't realize it was so bad over there. In fact, I haven't heard a single news piece on Portugal here in the US. So sorry about the situation over there :(

Its kind of bad for us as well, but we've found things to do. I live in the west coast of the US, and have been unemployed for a year now. I worked at Geico as a technician, but they laid me off last Christmas (why is it always before Christmas?). Had to move out of my apartment and back in with my parents. Though that seems rather common these days (if going by what the news says)...kids moving back with their own parents or not even moving out at all. Though even my dad got laid off (a little over two and a half years ago), but his specialty and what he was good at with what he was doing (fixing transmissions on cars) is hard to find a job that can take that in. There isn't many specialty places around that focus on that.

However at least for us, we have found that being a gardener and cleaning houses pays the bills+my unemployement. A lot of people hire gardeners and people to clean for them (at least in the US), but its a hard market to get into, since there is a lot of competition. We made it pretty well though. Still, each month we just "barely" make the rent and we don't really have much left over.

So with all that said. I'm surprised even in your situation your being so generous. Even in dark situations (I guess that is a phrase to use), people like to help others. But I guess if you already had them...I would like Europea Universalis III: Chronicles if that is okay. Looks like a lot of fun.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vanel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 01:25:05 pm »

There is so much pain in the world everywhere you look. I am not interested in any games, but I would like to offer my story. I got divorced several months ago because my wife was cheating. Then two days later I went to work and they told us my terminal  is closing. There is not much work in my area so this was a big blow for me when I really didn't need one. Fortunately I have a class A cdl (commercial truck license) and will always have a job, but I really don't want to have to live out on the road and not see my son. Finally after we divorced we found out that my house in our name, but the loan isn't. It's just in her name. So even though I want the house and can pay for it, I may lose it anyway. I know these aren't the biggest problems a person could be facing, but when it's you facing it, the world feels like it's about to end. I have faith in God though and I know that he will provide for me no matter what. I don't know how people can face big problems without believing in God. Even if I do lose it all I'll praise God everyday as I know he has a better plan for me. He also has a plan for any of you who want it. All you have to do is believe and ask.

I tried finding forum rules to see if this post is ok, but I couldn't find any. I hope it can stay because there are many that need to see that God loves us and will take care of us if we only ask.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 03:03:44 pm »

Thank you for all the messages... it really puts everything in perspective :( I sincerely hope things get better for you. You've got PMs with the keys, which will hopefully work and also hopefully cheer you up a little! :)

Don't worry about asking. All suffering is relative, and this is definitely not a contest or anything. I'm actually really glad to hear your stories, sad as they make me (and you!). The more I hang around B12, the more I like the community.

I wish you all wonderful lives :)

P.S. speaking of wonderful, thanks to Vactor who volunteered more games to the list! Thanks! :)

Vanel, it just seems like stuff piles up at the same time, huh? If it would at least spread about a little so we could deal with one thing at a time... It seems like your whole life was turned upside down :( There's no way that doesn't feel like the world is ending. All stability you knew is gone! PM me anything you want, I'm sure there's something in there that'd help you forget all those worries for a little bit!

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:08:37 pm by Anvilfolk »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 03:39:55 pm »

Looks like some of the Amazon keys might not be working since they are not Steam keys or are tied to an Amazon account. I am hoping these are a small number, and there's no harm in trying, but I apologise in advance for all the suckiness :(

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 03:47:28 pm »

yeah, at least for EU 3. The key doesn't activate on Steam at all, and the amazon downloader just tries to open the game from the games library of ones amazon account. Unless someone else knows how it works, I haven't really used amazon much for game downloads. It does look like amazon games are account bound though, even if a code hasn't been used.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 07:10:38 pm »

yeah, all the amazon games are account bound (unless purchased as a gift). Got an email back from Amazon.

In any case...the thought is very nice :)

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 08:29:01 pm »

We got hit preatty bad down here in argentina around 2001, total economic colapse, but keep the hopes up, even when you look around and cant belive it things will change again, the same people that "sell high" and leave thousands on poverty will "buy low" eventualy slowly puting the country where it was (or almost). We live in a world where money is more important than people, maybe we need to make this big mistakes to learn something from it.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 11:38:39 pm »

I've got Zeno Clash, Hoard, and Lume available as Steam keys. They were from the Valentine's bundle on Indie Royale a while back, and I purchased it but never ended up feeling as though I wanted to play them.

If anyone has wanted to play one or the other I'd be fine with giving you the key.

We all go about our lives in search of enjoyment and fulfillment, and rarely find it for long periods of time. I think many of us have short term goals and work our jobs or go through education in the hopes of earning more money in the future, and with the money we dream of purchasing happiness and stress-free lives.

I think if through these games I could make someone feel entertained or take their minds off of worrying for an hour or so, it would have been much, much better than having the game sit around unused.

To OP, I'd kind of like to play Red Faction: Guerrilla, but honestly I'm not that badly off compared to many other people, so feel free to save the game for someone who might glean more comfort from it.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 12:22:04 am »

@AnvilFolk
I have 3 Brazen Prototype Steam keys from Amnesia Fortnight Humble Bundle, more than happy to add them into the list.

To those who have come forward to share their stories, I once had depression too and the first step of my recovery was to understand that I was not alone and it was not entirely my fault that I got depressed. So I hope venting does work for you too. I also stimulated myself mentally and physically to get out of my depression.

I am also a firm believer of the following: "If I didn't believe in myself, no one else would". All great things start with a faith and we are what we believe. To certain extent, the world as we know it is shaped by how our mind perceive it to be. So whatever you go through--and this is easy to say, but think of it as a test of characters. Victory is not only measured by being at the top but also how one could bounce back after hitting the deepest pit of hell. When you have nothing to lose, you have so much to gain!

Now, I just got this email for being a backer of Limit Theory on Kickstarters, worth reading for those of you feeling lack of purpose or confidence in life.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:24:16 am by BuriBuriZaemon »
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 08:35:55 pm »

Civ 5 has been claimed.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 06:47:42 am »

Finally home with time to update this :) Added the following games :)

GG
- War of the Human Tanks
- Will Fight for Food
- Zafehouse Diaries
- Zombie Shooter 2

Steam
- The Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb DLC (Humble Bundle)
- Closure (Humble Bundle)
- Shank 2 (Humble Bundle)
- Snapshot (Humble Bundle)
- Dungeon Defenders + DLC (Humble Bundle)

Others
- Brazen Prototype x3 (Humble Bundle, thanks to BuriBuriZaemon!)

Thanks Buri! Do those Brazen Prototype keys unlock on Steam or download or what?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9