Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What bearing should Litast walk 500 miles and then 500 more?

North
East
South
West

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A Blind Journey  (Read 7203 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: A Blind Journey
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 09:34:02 pm »

So how is this happening? Can you literally not see what you're doing as you adventure?
Anyhow, PTW.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 10:03:23 pm »

I have to commend your determinism if you walked the blind guy around with such accuracy without cheating. . .
It seems to be that way now. The entire human civilization there hates Litast - meaning even if I wanted to, I can't fast travel until I've made it out.

Oh and if you think that's determination, first I tried looking through the city room by room until I realized how impossible this was.
So I moved both adventurers to a hamlet to do some extreme cat and mouse right?

So I go house by house with my Elite Wrestling bronze God of war, and lo and behold Litast is nowhere to be seen, as he had coincidentally gone out for a hunt that evening.

In the ensuing rage, there was no survivors.

But it gets worse!

Because the humans didn't even stay dead, more replaced their dead, seemingly appearing from nowhere.

Realizing the futility of his mission, the bronze God of War decided to go drown himself, and thus ensure the only person in history who was able to kill him was himself, apparently content with letting everyone go insane with melancholy and rage at the sight of their butchered friends and family.

And don't even get me started on how hard it was getting someone close enough to blinding Litast without having a face full of bronze spear.

So how is this happening? Can you literally not see what you're doing as you adventure?
I can only see what Litast is feeling physically and what he is hearing.

It's going to take all of my Dwarf' survival skills - but he can make it!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Litast has found him some shelter as much away from the town as safely possible. I believe there are walls surrounding everywhere but the ramps shown, so it's out of sight to anything that's not coming directly towards Litast. They're made out of clay though so it's probably a part of the town's roads so it's not safe just yet. The sky is clear so I'll be getting no water from rain but the sun is in the East so I should be able to get a day's worth of travel.

So on what bearing should I travel?

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 08:14:40 am »

To the arctic north, to the great tundras and glaciers.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 10:27:57 am »

North and East both got equal votes - so North East it is!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 02:05:43 pm »

*Note, I have modded the raws to remove [HEALING_RATE:100] from the eye tissue raws, as I felt it was unrealistic for Litast to be able to walk off having both of his eyes stabbed with a silver boning knife and suddenly being able to see again. As a result, the game is no longer 100% vanilla, but I consider it a net gain.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

19th of Limestone, 123 A.U.
Now despairing as he was - Litast felt past fields of fisher berries and touched the glow of the sun with his fingers, following his guide as it crawled in the North Eastern sky away from this disaster. "What wretchedness are you, cruel Gods who would inflict this on me? What insanity I have seen. I should have followed none but my sight while it still served me.
Ad, is it you who wishes me to grow melancholy in desolation? And you immovable Etur? Wicked tempter Ostar?!"
Beyond the sounds of the river, beyond the uproar, many sounds called to Litast, calling in a symphony of beautiful voices.
"Where would you like to move? Into a world of hardship and peril? Do you truly want this Litast? Simply leave your sufferings behind and jump Litast, leap to a good death, or would you rather join me here and put your journey in the hands of fortune?"
Living by endurance and pure force of will Litast edged his way around the river, looking for some way across, braving the edge of mortality each time by trying to wade across the ever crashing waters. Despite the broiling heat radiating from the tremendous river, stoic Litast blindly plunged to the bottom of the river bed again and again looking for a way across.
Left with only one last avenue of escape, Litast jumped.
Suspended, thrashing, drowning, dragged under by the weight of saturated clothes and metal armours.
Emerging on the other side out from the clutches of death itself, Litast re-emerged, unfazed at the new silence.
With new life and new senses, Litast was going to conquer a new world.
But this world was driving forwards at a pace he was not ready for just yet, like a swallow chasing a diving eagle.
Patiently good Litast waited for sleep to bury him, taking comfort in the feel of the Earthen mud around him.

Burying him in a world where if he knew... If he knew; he might have prayed to be alone.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

*Note, the crossing of this river is one of the few times in DF where I was legitimately terrified. The moment Litast dies he will be dead for good, and it may not look like much, but once I had crossed 4 tiles I realized this river wasn't a minor stream. Too terrified to turn back I kept pressing on... And on... And on... Until I began fearing Litast was going to kill himself out of exhaustion.
Litast is currently just having awoken from sleeping in a murky pool, having been startled by noises from above. I'm now too terrified to move him anywhere, because there IS something out there and I don't want to meet it.
This is turning into Lovecraftian horror...
Oh and the gods all mentioned so far:

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 09:10:42 pm »

PTW, this is quite awesome.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 12:03:29 am »

I'm also PTW. This is very, very cool.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 02:50:56 am »

Blindly fighting against the boogie of the night is going to be a world of pain.

Good luck, hoping for a good story here. :-)

oh_no

Jahsg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 03:02:34 am »

Just apply some ale to those eye and you'll be right as rain

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2012, 06:36:39 am »

This is glorious. I hope you manage to survive until you kill all the megabeasts of the world.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 06:45:09 am »

This is...inspiring.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 06:50:06 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 11:18:44 am »

Epic.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2012, 02:38:09 pm »

I wonder what will happen when Litast enters a Martial Trance - Toady has stated elsewhere that dwarves in martial trances ignore problems such as blindness during combat rolls, though it's possible it might ignore blindness in general until it wears off.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 07:42:16 am »

I wonder what will happen when Litast enters a Martial Trance - Toady has stated elsewhere that dwarves in martial trances ignore problems such as blindness during combat rolls, though it's possible it might ignore blindness in general until it wears off.

20th of Limestone 123
At long last Litast's light diminished, setting beneath the Western glows. Deeming travel in times of dire peril unwise... And with rumours of horrors lurking the minds and paths of lone travellers at night, Litast's limbs were struck cold with exhaustion. Tonight would not be a night for fighting if he could help it.
But Litast... Litast felt uneasy.
Something opened in Litast.
Attacked by a whole pack of vicious dingoes, gigantic fiends bigger than a Dwarf, Litast felt no fear. He simply climbed out from beneath the murky pool he hid in and held his weapons high, always silent against the braying of the scavengers.
The dingoes froze in their tracks, uncertain to what trick their prey was employing.
But this was no trick. Litast saw through the dark of the night as clear as flickering flames, striking fear into the rabid packs of dingoes that stalked him, bloody eyes wide open at the devils who threatened his peace.
Seizing his spear, he charged into their lines.
He did not see where he struck, he did not see where he was.
He knew.

As soon as it had begun it was over. Litast found himself on the wrong end of a dingo pack dazed and confused; but the pain of a dingo bite was something he understood all too well, and began to flee.
Yet Litast still felt... Different. For every hundred times he missed, one blind thrust of his spear would connect his strike with the flesh of the things that chased him.

Through the night Litast ran, fleeing blindly from one Dingo pack into the next, fighting all the way to secure his will to live. Fighting with his arms and his teeth when his weapons didn't inflict wounds on the dingoes quick enough, he was as ferocious as a cornered honey badger.

Not once did he stop nor did he look back. Smiling - laughing even at the dingoes he'd killed with no eyes to tell.
This'd be a story he'd share. Of sharptooth who was defeated by an elbow and strangling, or yellowsnout who found a spear embedded between her wicked eyes. His only regret was to not butcher one of the dingoes he had successfully killed, but Litast would not stop laughing - he defeated the night for a day.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:50:29 am by Loud Whispers »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 07:49:24 am »

You can use Isoworld to get a nice image of what the lake looks like, or at least an artistic impression.
Pages: 1 [2] 3