Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod: Block Crafter's Workshop 1.0 - Prev:Allow blocks for Furniture?  (Read 8371 times)

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks to all the contributors on this post, I present to you:

The Block Crafter's Workshop!

Since the changes to Dwarf Fortress stone drop rate for mining, It has been much harder than it needs to be to manage the stone/block ratio for crafts and projects.  There seems to be a push to turn everything into a block (to get the most out of your stone), but this presents a problem when you are trying to make rock crafts, doors, tables, etc!  This mod aims to ease this restriction a bit, and give you some better control over your blocks.  This mod is intended to be applied over a Vanilla / Vanilla+Tileset install, and may not play nice with any major conversion mods.

This mod contains:
1 new workshop - Block Crafter's Workshop
9 New Reactions - 7 Block Objects, and 2 to reverse the work of over-eager block makers!
  • Block Cabinet - 3 Blocks
  • Block Chest - 3 Blocks
  • Block Table - 2 Blocks
  • Block Chair - 2 Blocks
  • Block Bed - 4 Blocks
  • Block Crafts - 1 Block
  • Block Door - 5 Blocks
  • Merge Lignite Blocks - 5 Lignite Blocks
  • Merge Coal Blocks - 5 Coal BLocks

Note:  You will notice that many of the crafts require more than 1 block.  Because of the way Dwarf Fortress handles ingredients, the first block your dwarf brings to the workshop will usually(Always?) define the material for the end product.  Keep this in mind if you are intending to make fancy material crafts!

Installation:
  • Download the zip at: DFFD
  • Extract and overwrite the files at 'Dwarf Fortress Directory\raw\objects'
  • Gen a new world, and enjoy!

Hope you find this useful!  Let me know if you have any questions or comments!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:34:07 pm by Dragoon209 »
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mod to allow blocks for Crafting and Furniture?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:14:39 am »

It's not possible to add them as a default choice, but easily possible to create a new workshop and have a set of reactions that point towards it. A number of the major mods make use of this kind of thing - Genesis and Masterwork to name but two. Here's a basic one that I've put together to make you a stone table.

[REACTION:MAKE_STONE_TABLE]
[NAME:make stone table from block]
[BUILDING:    xxxxx Custom Workshop Name xxxxx    :NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TABLE:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:MASONRY]

Make certain that you have a custom workshop to point all the reactions to, as you can't add to the carpenter or mason. That done, just look up tokens on the wiki (you'll want Item Tokens to tell you what the furniture is called, and Material Tokens will help somewhat with the materials that it's made of) and find further examples of finished reactions for more ideas on how to use them.

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 09:54:49 am »

Oh Snap!!  No wonder I had so much trouble!  I was using notepad++ and Find in Files command, and i couldn't find any of the default workshops!  This makes sense.  I assumed I was just doing something wrong....

Thank you!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Have you played Webfort yet?  It's a way to play Dwarf Fortress in a web browser with your friends!  Come check it out at:
Community Web Fortress

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 09:16:42 am »

Alright, hopefully I can get some additional clarification on things.

Here is what is happening:
I made my own reactions file, and added my reactions to it.  I had previously mapped the reactions to the CRAFTSMAN building (According to the wiki), but they didn't show up in the workshop after a regen.  Re-reading the above answer, it would seem that you can't.  So, I copied the Soap Maker's building into my own building file, and made a name and build material change, and tried that.  No new workshop in a newly genned world.

Could somebody shed some light on this?

Here are my files:

Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 10:53:38 am »

Since you didn't mention it, and because a lot of people forget to do this at first:

Did you add entries to the entities file? Specifically
   [PERMITTED_BUILDING:BLOCKCRAFT]
   [PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_BONE_CABINET]
   [PERMITTED_REACTION: etc. You'll need one for every one of the reactions, of course, which can be quite the list.

If you've already done this, then my apologies, but that's the usual reason that new workshops and reactions don't show up, and needs to be checked before any debugging of reactions is done.

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 11:07:46 am »

I came to that realization, and tested it to make sure, right as you were replying!  You were spot on.

I didn't see it on the wiki, but I thought I remembered hearing about it from somewhere... and after a bunch of digging, I found it by searching for workshop names.  Once I added my entries, I get workshops!

Now, I guess its time to get extreme....

Now that I have some basic reactions done, I am looking to expand to a few more...

If anyone has suggestions on how to:

-Take 5 Coal or 5 Lignite BLOCKS, and turn them back onto a stone.  Would be nice to be able to return them to a stone for use in the smelters.  I am having trouble understanding how materials and sub types work, and unfortunately the wiki is not helping explain it in a way I can understand.

-(Hard one) I would like to make instruments useful.  I would love to make a Stage workshop, that requires an instrument, and upon success, sprays out Mist, to generate some happy thoughts.  I think it would be great to have one or two of these in the dining hall, and make some happy dwarves.  Also, is it possible that if the skill is low (Don't know WHAT skill yet, maybe Concentration?), it would spray out Miasma, for all the awful sounds being played... haha

Any pointers would be appreciated.  Or if there is some insight in to how the material, subtypes, and modifiers interact?  The wiki just seems so confusing!

Thank you!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 11:32:43 am »

The only way to really understand how things work is to open a mod and study reactions. After a while you get used to the format. You can always just copy a similar reaction and tweak it to your own needs.

a)
[REACTION:MERGE_LIGNITE_BLOCKS]
[NAME:merge lignite blocks together]
[BUILDING:SCREW_PRESS:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:5:BLOCKS:NONE:INORGANIC:LIGNITE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:LIGNITE]
[SKILL:PRESSING]

b) Not possible. You can't make mist or miasma in a workshop (although DFhack's pretty impressive, so maybe one day you'll be able to). But you can rig up some pumps and grates to make a mister yourself.
Meph has something musical in Masterwork already, although it's not possible to have any kind of skill levels involved - it's just yes or no. Here's the original (standalone) post that he made introducing it. When you get the hang of how it works, you can tweak various other effects into existence:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=107325.0

c) The best advice that I can give you is to study the raws of various mods as closely as you can. Grab a selection and dig through them, looking for how people have done things. Find someone who did something similar to what you want and see how it can be changed. Find people who did similar things and see how they differ. After a while it does make sense.

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 01:29:09 pm »

Thanks for all your help and info!  Thats what I have been doing, and its been working well so far.  Even when asking question, I like to keep working on it, it makes the return all the more rewarding. 

I have been digging through Masterwork Mod's raws, but sometimes its hard to understand what is going on.  Some of the reactions have additional text, references to crazy bolders (Smoke?) and all sorts of things.  It looks like it is mostly custom stuff Meph added, but since he does so much with his workshops, it seemed the best place to see what was available.  Your reaction for lignite should be helpful, since it reflects what I was trying to do. It makes it easier to understand, and learn from.  It just seems to be the subtypes and modifiers and such that get confusing.  I'm sure there will be an 'Ah Ha!' moment after a while.

Thanks again!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 06:53:49 pm »

"Smoke" is a material that evaporates when it spawns.

The item token article and the material token articles on the wiki should help.

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 01:02:31 pm »

"Smoke" is a material that evaporates when it spawns.

The item token article and the material token articles on the wiki should help.

After much fumbling and frustration, I realized that SMOKE (As well as SPARK, and other custom inorganic objects) are being defined by Masterwork, and thus, not present on the Wiki.  Somehow I got it in my head that they were supposed to be there, and then was even more confused when I couldn't find them.

Thanks to everybody who has commented, I have successfully created new workshops, reactions, and lots of fancy block furniture for my dwarves.  Now i'm working on reverse-engineering some of Meph's hard work, and seeing what else I can come up with!

Thanks everybody
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 01:33:15 pm »

If you need any help with a particular part, let me know.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Release 1.0!  Hope this helps somebody!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mod: Block Crafter's Workshop 1.0 - Prev:Allow blocks for Furniture?
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 06:59:24 pm »

Looks pretty decent. I note that while a vanilla mason's workshop takes something and uses the Masonry skill to turn it into, say, a door, here you're using the Stonecraft skill to make those same products. Is it intended that the skills be different?

To me it does make a degree of sense, since you're shaping stone to a design, while masonry would be more about Constructing things, but it might surprise some people.
(Also, I rather like the idea of having my crafters make the furniture, rather than having my masons running back and forth between making walls and tables. I think that I'll snag this idea for my own homebrew.)

Dragoon209

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mod: Block Crafter's Workshop 1.0 - Prev:Allow blocks for Furniture?
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 07:18:51 pm »

Thanks!

Yes, the Stonecraft skill was an intentional choice.  I thought it made more sense that way.   If people want it, I can change it, or provide instructions for it to change it themselves.  Also, as you stated, it makes more sense to me that the crafters make furniture rather than the masons.

Hope you enjoy it!
Check out my mini-mods:
Upgradable Leather Tiers
Block Crafting Workshop

Community Web Fortress