Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36

Author Topic: Humans, and eventually a colony on Mars.  (Read 61609 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Humans, and eventually a colony on Mars.
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 04:31:30 am »

That's what the rotation is for no? Does that not work just as well?

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 04:33:11 am »

I dont think it dose... even the ones orbiting earth cant stay there the whole time and often have problems, maybe mars stuff makes it less work but idk...

plus how long dose it take us to get to mars?

Can our suits survive on mars? the moon is one thing, mars is another.
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 04:36:13 am »

Well, i guess it's about the same, if a tad more liveable.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 05:33:14 am »

That's what the rotation is for no? Does that not work just as well?
No.  It doesn't work as well.
But the gravity shift is going to be an issue for every planet but maybe Venus.
But a rotating station won't have the same gravity as earth.
Not reasonably, in any case.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 05:41:05 am »

Are you sure about this? Because to be honest I just looked it up in wikipdedia and it says that is a acceptable solution for a sufficiently large station.

Maybe I was unclear, I don't mean rotating around a planet, but rather rotating around in space, like a giant hollow top.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 05:53:48 am »

I'm sure we'll figure it out.  Necessity is the mother of invention, and there ain't half been some clever bastards.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 05:56:35 am »

Living on Mars would suck.
1. Interplanetary internet: Think 56K download speeds, with up to 23 minutes of one-way latency depending on planetary positions. Which means to load a web page, it would take hours for the data transmission to complete. Bandwidth is limited by the need to pipe it up through a space network, where it is then transferred by long range communications means, rather than the high-speed fiber we have on earth. Imagine how many of your posts would get ninjaed if it took you a bare minimum of 3 hours to read and send a response to a thread.
2. Living space: You get a tiny pod to live in, in a small community of small pods, with very little ability to leave. Imagine being stuck in the same small apartment, with the same neighbors, but for the rest of your life.
3. The novelty wears off fast. It would be awesome for a month or so; after that, you realize that 'oh, hey, I could have got the same view without all the negatives if I had bought a house in Death Valley.'

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 06:18:10 am »

Also, with such a thin athmosphere and no magnetosphere, cosmic ray are going to slowly fry you.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 06:26:48 am »

No, those issues would be solved one way or another before sending any colony there. Be it through burying most of it underground or some form of radiation shielding or medical mitigation techniques.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 06:42:31 am »

No, those issues would be solved one way or another before sending any colony there. Be it through burying most of it underground or some form of radiation shielding or medical mitigation techniques.
So now we're bringing excavation equipment or substantial heavy shielding.  I hate to poopoo the idea of a manned mission to Mars, but we're a long way away.

Keep in mind that anybody we sent there are likely be stuck there for about 2 years while they wait for Mars and Earth to be close enough to make the return trip practical. 

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 06:54:53 am »

And even then we DONT have the tech that can go to mars, a lot of pepole think we do but we dont, it takes a LOT more
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 06:59:12 am »

It'll be within this century, barring WW3 or a new plague.  Think how far we've come in the last ninety years.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 07:45:05 am »

I think it's more likely the former; as how the fuck would you go about repairing or mitigating damage to genetic material efficiently?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 07:50:24 am »

we've only returned stuff from further out than the moon a handful of times, and in each case that was a robotic pod with a small sample. huge jump to talk about returning people from mars. Same theory, sure, but its still a huge effort.
Magma is overrated.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 08:55:57 am »

The moment scientists can create an isolatable bio-literal-sphere is the moment I support the colonization of Mars.
Which is close, I guess. I'll also settle for biosphere with minimum help, too.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36