Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36

Author Topic: Humans, and eventually a colony on Mars.  (Read 61060 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Humans, and eventually a colony on Mars.
« on: December 21, 2012, 12:51:26 am »

Why not? We've had the tech for decades now, and contrary to certain beliefs, no orbital construction is required to send a manned team to Mars, nor is a Moon base, which would in fact be even harder to set up and sustain. If you haven read The Case for Mars, I highly suggest it.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Humans, and eventually a colony on Mars.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:53:28 am »

Because the vast majority of us don't really want to.

Unfortunate, but true. And it's kind of REALLY expensive as a proposition.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 12:56:50 am »

The tech to go there is one thing, the tech to go there and do meaningful activity that the rovers can't is quite another.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 01:17:24 am »

It'll happen eventually.  It's getting to the point where we're going to need a lot of people to GTFO Earth and Mars is the easiest option.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 01:59:44 am »

It'll happen eventually.  It's getting to the point where we're going to need a lot of people to GTFO Earth and Mars is the easiest option.
Pretty much this. It will lead to some kind of a space race that may end up with more than just Mars being colonized if humans can develop the proper technology to colonize more than just Earth-like planets. I bet monopoles will be involved somehow.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 03:09:50 am »

I'm skeptical of having the tech to get there.  Maybe in 10 years if we made an effort like we did for the moon landing.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 03:15:19 am »

No, we've got it. Our ability to get probes there proves it well enough. Mars only has a third of Earth's gravity, so you only need a third of the force to escape. It isn't as much as you'd think.

It might be somewhat of a design challenge for the space agencies, but we have the technology.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 03:22:33 am »

No, we've got it. Our ability to get probes there proves it well enough. Mars only has a third of Earth's gravity, so you only need a third of the force to escape. It isn't as much as you'd think.

It might be somewhat of a design challenge for the space agencies, but we have the technology.

Probes don't need food or water.  Probes don't need living quarters.  Probes don't need oxygen or exercise equipment, nor do they need suits to go out into the environment.

The way to do it would be to send a bunch of crap to mars ahead of time, but getting the actual crew there alive, and keeping them alive on mars is going to require a lot of doing.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 03:25:33 am »

We don't need to send all of that down to Mars. Same thing as the Moon landing: We send the lander down and keep the non-vital equipment on an orbiter.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 03:29:53 am »

MSH: I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 03:37:36 am »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 03:38:26 am »

MSH: I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.
Maybe if we find Martians, we'll be able to borrow a cup of oxygen every once in a while.  As long they don't try to blow is up with a comically oversized rocket.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 04:23:18 am »

I have one thing to say: Bay12 Space Program. Every possibility has been discussed, and the DRC is the ideal country to take over and take off.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 04:23:47 am »

You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

Speak for yourself.

Anyway. Do we need to land for some reason? If I escape this gravity trap I am not sure I would want to go into another one. Is there any particular reason we can't live in like a rotating space station?

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 04:30:35 am »

One particularly compelling reason is the lack of gravity.
Brittle bones man, not good for ya!

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36