Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

To read or not to read, is that the question?

Yes
No
I'm just here to see what the whole deal is about
Ahh, the good old times

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 121

Author Topic: Necrothreat II - A Fort Cursed by the Gods!  (Read 447401 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Necrothreat II - A Fort Cursed by the Gods!
« Reply #1320 on: January 16, 2014, 11:24:25 pm »

Did we ever forumite FluffyToastJ?
Assumption: deceased and reanimated
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: January 16, 2014, 11:31:21 pm »

This is a good assumption.
Also, only in Necrothreat would this be the standard assumption.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: January 16, 2014, 11:54:45 pm »

This is a good assumption.
Also, only in Necrothreat would this be the standard assumption.
Necrothreat is hell for dwarves... And there was a hell FOR necrothreat!

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: January 17, 2014, 11:46:09 am »

Let me sum up Necrothreat for you: A series of hells, all intrinsically linked by one thing other than being the site of the damneds' permanent residence. They are all circles which can be traced back to Necrothreat. In fact, from this it can be said that Necrothreat is Dwarf Fortress, Forumite Fortress and Hell all rolled into one, delightful !!bundle!! which menaces with spikes.

Also, Where's mah picture too!

And hopefully something this weekend. I had exams this week so I just let the fortress roll and noted down things as they happened. I'll hopefully have something written over the weekend.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: January 17, 2014, 08:47:32 pm »

The Fortress of Necrothreat approaches! It secretes death and Undeath. It's hide is made up of the Dwarven corpses of the unfortunate. Beware it's FPS!  :P

I'd like to note that "secretes" was originally "excretes". I'm still not sure that's a mistake. ;D

Edit:Is NAV referring to the pic I'm working on? If so, it's been delayed by a combination of illness and studying for Exams, but I will get it done. Now, getting it up is a painfully different story, to my dismay.

Sometimes I really hate technology. Why would a scanner only save files as Microsoft Word Docs?                            WHY!?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:07:32 pm by TalonisWolf »
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: January 18, 2014, 09:18:13 pm »

Yes. He is indeed referring to the picture you're working on. I understand that you have exams though, many of us do. And I heard that a new flu was on the loose so that double makes up for you.
Microsoft Word docs you say? I wonder why it would do such a thing. Maybe it's set on a mode where it scans only lists and thinks they're text documents? I'm not very familiar with scanners.
I think "secretes" and "excretes" are both close enough to be able to be used interchangeably.

As for an update, Th4DwArfY1 has been working very hard on Necrothreat II, considering the lag, and I think you will find his progress satisfying when it comes to light.

And as always, we live in hell, we die in hell and we are reborn in hell.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: January 19, 2014, 02:44:21 pm »

Secretes, from what I understand, means it's coming from the pores of the skin. Excretes... is taking a dump, to put it bluntly.

I personally find excretes a little more... Amusing.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: January 19, 2014, 03:41:37 pm »

That's the more specific definitions of the words. If you look at them from a general standpoint, they both mean to get something out. Discharge or expel.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: January 19, 2014, 03:53:41 pm »

Although you have to admit that you'd rather not use excretes, if only because of its connotations. Also, the intro to Necrothreat, more posted when I finish a few months worth of updates! And the bird thing actually happened  :P

A bird floats high above the grounds of Necrothreat. It swoops low, then circles high. Its life is filled with the vibrancy of life, offsetting the blasted lands, the fields of ashes, many feet below. A truly desolate place. The bird drifts down and lands near a tree. It preens itself, then turns its beady eye upon the ground. Even in ashes there is life, and it intends to feed well today. From a gate beyond the raven there issues the sound of drunken revelry, but it doesn’t care. What reason would the raven have to listen to the stunt-men? Instead, it fluffs its feathers of midnight and returns to its search. Suddenly the stench of decay hits its senses, and it looks up curiously. Food? That was the thing which fixed its mind as the corpse above it leered down. Food? Its neck was grabbed and twisted, a sicking popping sound shattering the silence, and its body was thrown upon the ground. Its black feathers stir in the chill wind, but no gleam of life lights its eyes.

There is no life in Necrothreat.

Th4DwArfY1 wakes up, startled. Sweat makes his hands seem like iced blocks, and his throat is dry. He turns his eyes to the door, the door which he knows he must turn to. The door through which he must go. To do his duty. To help the fort; to clear his name. Those who call him Abomination cut him deeper than any blade or undead-talon ever could. And his eyes….they look at the door to his room with a deep pool of fear welling up behind them. They can wait. They must wait; he could not explain himself; not yet, anyway. To help clear his mind, he walked over to his writing desk. He picked up the quill, dipped it in the ink and began to write, to chronicle his own story. Maybe it will do someone, somewhere, some good…

EDIT: I Forumited Talvieno. Because I could, and he was friends with nearly every named Forumite, so I HAD to Forumite him. So welcome back to the team as a wood-worker, Talvieno!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:58:52 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: January 19, 2014, 08:14:11 pm »

:o

That is an amazing way to start off. Nicely done, Th4DwArfY1!
GENERATION 32:

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: January 19, 2014, 10:39:21 pm »

Here's the first bit. More coming soon.

6th Galena

As it always does in Necrothreat, this story begins with a death. The fields of the battle lay littered with corpses, or as the men had taken to calling them the “sleepers”. As any soldier would be willing to acknowledge, no sleeper slumbers for ever, and all raise from their tombs in time. Something we are sorely lacking, here. Time. For as it stretches on, the number of Ur’s forces increases. There seems to be a change amongst them, though. A disorientation that I do not know what to make of. But alas, I would find the reason out soon enough. This is what happened.

I am given to understand that the previous overseer was a fool, parading in pomp and ceremony, leaving the doors wide open for a spot of “spring cleaning”. Needless to say, the man was quite mad. Irontomato was his name, and his head was as thick as the fruit for which he was named. But he left the doors open, and that is what counts. For it was through those doors that NAV bravely marched, on an errand of vengeance. Too many we had lost, too many. His blood boiled with the injustice of generations suffering under the administrations of Ur, of Fain. His mind, so often soaked in booze was for once sober, keen as a tack. As he marched past, ignoring my call to return immediately, lest the zombies have him, he took a swig of ale from the ever-present flask. It only occurred to me later that he hadn’t stopped drinking at all, but that his mind had risen above such petty things as being drunk. He was a Forumite, through and through. Beer was his craft and his pleasure, but he marched for more than his own pleasure. He marched with the ghosts of his friends and family, of every member of the fort’s dead, riding upon his shoulders. As he passed through the door, he gave a huge belch which seemed to rattle the door frame. Then he was through, and the spreading plain was before him, and he could see the zombies in all their multitudes. “Well bollocks” drifted in through the doors just before they slammed shut with a resounding thud. NAV was amongst the dead.

Th4DwArfY1 pauses in his writing and takes a swig of his own ale, smiling fondly at the memory. Whatever else may be said, it was NAV who walked through those doors, the same as the one who I first approached with leadership. After the ale burned its track down his throat, Th4DwArfY1 turned back to his work, soiled though it was by grime and ink stains. This was the only way he could do him proud, by noting down his death. A tear rolled down his cheek to mix with the ink on the page, but he was too busy writing to notice.

A bolt was all the zombies felt as he mowed them down, the spawn of Ur fleeing from his aim. He stood above them, his crossbow unnervingly accurate. Zombies by the score were felled that day, and NAV killed more than any had though possible. With each reload of a bolt, he took a sip of beer, his own home-brew. A master beersmith to the end. Sometimes words drifted to those of us cowering on the other side of the door. “For my family”, he said with cold fury. “For my friends”, he said with unwavering hate. Each sentence he spoke was punctuated by the quickly cut off gurgle of zombies in pain feeling the embrace of the earth once more, the husks falling as NAV’s bolts pierced their foul skin. One more thing we heard before he left the high ground, his quiver out of bolts. “FOR NECROTHREAT!” The birds in the trees rose in a swarm above his head, carrion eaters sensing an easy meal on the way. For if there is one thing they have learned, it is that when a Forumite born of Necrothreat shouts those words, it means there will be death, and much of it. No ordinary force could have withstood that charge. He plunged into their ranks, grasping hands tearing at clothes as he passed, only to be beaten back by his crossbow, only to feel his wrath spent upon them. Bones broke in splinters and flew back to pierce their owners, and NAV fought with a halo of darkness rising above his head, with birds wheeling in dark patterns in the sky. These were the things that NAV saw, oldest amongst us, before he finally relented, and gave his life as forfeit to the powers that be.

And die he did. For whilst he fought unswervingly, there were always more, always more zombies. Many days he fought in the waste, arms like lead, feet shuffling in the ashen grass. He didn’t give up, not even when those slain rose from the ground in front of him, behind him…even under him. No cry was given, no pleading as the tide of undead drew him under their weight. His hand rose above the tide in a final farewell, then grew limp and fell back into the writhing mass of bodies.

And NAV was no more.

At these words, Th4DwArfY1 set down his pen, his bluff features twisted in some indiscernible expression. His mouth tightened in a white line, and his craggy brow overshadowed his hooked nose. Then he began to sob, great heaving convulsions of chest and back, tears leaking out from under his eyelids and running in silver rivulets through his beard. NAV is dead. NAV was no more. The words swim in front of his eyes as Th4DwArfY1 released the sorrow of an entire nation, a nation not given to revealing anything but the strongest of feelings. And he cried, on and on, and did not stop until he was spent, weak and feeble on his bed.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:52:54 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: January 19, 2014, 10:47:02 pm »

My E-Mail Notification thing work me up 11:43pm, and for once I don't mind.

This is taking a darker turn, a feeling only enhanced by the events you are writing about. It resonates with anger, sadness, and rightful fury.

NAV will be remembered. For Necrothreat, for the fallen, for NAV, we will ENDURE!
GENERATION 32:

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: January 19, 2014, 10:58:55 pm »

He needs to come up with some sort of dwarfy superweapon... And I don't think orbital magma cannon will be enough...

... Orbital obsidian cannon?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: January 19, 2014, 11:58:06 pm »

Wall/Floor an entire z-level, cave it in at desperate times.

Have that level be your magma reservoir for bonus socks.
GENERATION 32:

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: January 20, 2014, 04:35:00 pm »

You must build a dwarven superweapon, Dwarfy. In my honour.
What was my final kill count?
I predict a booze shortage in Necrothreat's future.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 121