Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

To read or not to read, is that the question?

Yes
No
I'm just here to see what the whole deal is about
Ahh, the good old times

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 121

Author Topic: Necrothreat II - A Fort Cursed by the Gods!  (Read 438462 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Necrothreat II - A Fort Cursed by the Gods!
« Reply #1410 on: February 01, 2014, 07:16:58 pm »

You haven't screwed anything up YET... Except my name >:(
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: February 01, 2014, 07:22:09 pm »

You haven't screwed anything up YET... Except my name >:(

Ha. Don't worry, you're now Highmax "Ur's Bane"

That better?  :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wasara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: February 01, 2014, 07:56:09 pm »

Just read through this sea of golden words sprinkled with islands of sorrow known as Necrothreat II and I just want to say some things.

1.No, I am not to shy to comment that this fort is amazing
2. please Formite me as "Wasara" with the profession "Outsider".
3. Why is there a lack of atom smashers? They can't reanimate corpses when they've been crushed into oblivion.
4. You guys are awesome!
5. and finally, if your fine with it, can you add me to the turn list. (preferably when there isn't a frame stealing horde outside, I do most of my playing on my xLaptopx)

Thank you guys for keeping me entertained for the last week  :D

Atom smashers? You have no idea what Ur sent to us. These beasts fight amongst themselves, and never actually path to the fortress unless all enemy undead are gone. Also, you may want to remind the next overseer to Forumite you: I'm not touching the save again.

Also, thank you for showing appreciation, lol. We at Necrothreat aim to entertain the masses. And occasionally submit them to Sprin. But we keep that out of the PR campaign  :D

This is why we have animals, for bait!. Well, I never looked at the save to see if you guys have any, but you could still use potential vampires! Better then locking them in a room.
Poor Wasara. This fort really doesn't seem to like you too much. All the more reason to continue to help beat it into submission.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: February 01, 2014, 08:06:09 pm »

Just read through this sea of golden words sprinkled with islands of sorrow known as Necrothreat II and I just want to say some things.

1.No, I am not to shy to comment that this fort is amazing
2. please Formite me as "Wasara" with the profession "Outsider".
3. Why is there a lack of atom smashers? They can't reanimate corpses when they've been crushed into oblivion.
4. You guys are awesome!
5. and finally, if your fine with it, can you add me to the turn list. (preferably when there isn't a frame stealing horde outside, I do most of my playing on my xLaptopx)

Thank you guys for keeping me entertained for the last week  :D

Atom smashers? You have no idea what Ur sent to us. These beasts fight amongst themselves, and never actually path to the fortress unless all enemy undead are gone. Also, you may want to remind the next overseer to Forumite you: I'm not touching the save again.

Also, thank you for showing appreciation, lol. We at Necrothreat aim to entertain the masses. And occasionally submit them to Sprin. But we keep that out of the PR campaign  :D

This is why we have animals, for bait!. Well, I never looked at the save to see if you guys have any, but you could still use potential vampires! Better then locking them in a room.

Animals. Pah! They just ignore everything until they have eliminated certain factions within their group! They don't path, and vampires? They run away or join in the fray! (Rhyme intended  :P)
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: February 01, 2014, 09:53:34 pm »

I have a serious grudge against vampires, especially in this fort.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: February 01, 2014, 10:44:34 pm »

I have a serious grudge against vampires undead, especially in this fort.
FTFY
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: February 01, 2014, 11:15:18 pm »

I have a serious grudge against vampires undead everything that isn't a fourmite, especially in this fort.
FTFY
Fixed the repair

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: February 01, 2014, 11:16:54 pm »

I have a serious grudge against vampires undead everything that isn't a fourmite, especially in this fort.
FTFY
Fixed the repair
Sorry, I just had to leave something broken for the next guy to fix.
You know how it is around here.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: February 02, 2014, 05:59:46 pm »

12th Galena

With the return of Highmax the hero, indefatigable wielder of the blades, Hero of the People, the morale improved throughout the fort. In Apiks they had a sense of the old, the Elder days which gave birth to them shining forth from his eyes. In me, they found a leader and a scapegoat. Even the children revile me, undead beast that they believe me to be. But they follow when ordered, and leap to obey my commands. But these are but two points of the triangle, and the third has been vacant for far too long. Highmax is back, and in him the children see someone they can model themselves on, and the men have someone they can respect, born and forged in the fires of war as he was.

The anger in me is gone. It is not that Highmax changed me, it is more that he helped my mind struggle from the bog and be free again. I revel in the feeling of peace…while it lasts. For nothing can last forever, and my mind has often been an unreliable place in any case. For I have been stormed by ice and fire, by the wrath of the very gods themselves. My will has been the play thing of Armok and a bug to be crushed by Fain. But I stand here in this place, and I will not fall, for with my demise they will win. A slow grin spreads across my lips, the first to grace my face since this accursed undead siege began. The Forumites around me, those that were eyeing me with fear, flinch and look away. They know what this means. They know and fear it. When Th4DwArfY1 the Abomination smiles, his enemies die. I walk away, citizens draining from the corridors before me, my mind whirling with ideas. I will not fall. Highmax has taken Ur, but I will kill the army of damned before me.

I am back in my office, and the walls warp and ooze as if the plaster had become liquid. Strange figures pressed against the bulging walls, faces struggled to become free and, failing, turned aside with a silent screech of rage. The ceiling came closer and closer. Soon I was on my back, and the ceiling hovered above my nose. It plunged downwards and engulfed me, casting my diminutive figure into a white abyss. This is travelling, the art I learned so long ago from Armok, unwittingly taught. In this ivory sea I see threads, severed from me but floating yet. Like vipers they strike, one attaching with ephemeral cords to each limb. With contempt I brush them off, for no longer am I a puppet to dance upon the strings of Armok. I gather the thwarted strands to myself, twisting them to my purpose. Like blazing lines of light they flash before my sight, colours swirling in front of me. I try to follow one colour, but cannot. Suddenly, as if pricked by a needle, the bubble of vibrancy bursts, and I am in some other place, the sights and sounds of real life surrounding me.

The place I came to was the thing spoken of in the darkest thoughts and dreams of villains, vagabonds and idiots. There was no cohesion to the place, a landscape of muted browns then bright, intruding greens. A swamp of grey liquid stretched off to my right, the excess of some foul forge working the Light only knows where. The only thing to indicate its presence was the sound of beating, incessantly churning in the background. I follow the noise where it leads, and am spat out into a clearing. Trees with drooping, green leaves hang almost to the ground, their growth stunted despite their colour. From an excess, much like a boil, in the ground there issued forth a stream of foul lava which oozed in a winding line towards a grey anvil beside a stream. A crudely made hut of green leaves and grey wood served as shelter. The water from the river went in cheery, bright and bubbling, and was released on the other end as an almost stagnant grey discharge that slowly moved towards the swamp. The odd dead fish with flashing scales drifted amongst the grey debris of industry.

I walked towards the hut from which the noise was coming. As I approached I noticed it was bigger than I had thought, and was propped in the middle by a carved log. Faces reminiscent of those I had imagined in the walls of my office seemed to be trying to strain free, jaws frozen in eternal torment. I ignored it, for I was focused on the inhabitants, who to the man had leapt up from their squatting over a thin stream of the earth’s life blood. Where it met the forge this cherry red substance hissed and steamed, and billowing clouds of dense mist rose from it. There, one of the figures plunged a lump of iron into the source of the steam, pulled it out and started hastily beating it, lacking the expertise shown by the Forumite smithies. Seemingly unaware of me, the pale creature continued to bash the iron until a hiss from one of the others stopped it. Startled, it turned and let the partially finished sword drop to the lifeless ground.

In a deep voice I proclaimed to these green-skins, these Goblins as they called themselves, that I was here on a matter of business. One came forward, a filthy loincloth which seemed torn from the back of a wolf cinched around its emancipated waist, and said in a halting tongue “You speak of businessss, ssstunted one? I sssay to hell with you, sscourge of our kind! I will perssssonally kill you for the glory of Armok, and recccceive my reward!” So saying, it lunged towards me. I barely blinked, and trained by Highmax as I was, easily swatted the beast aside with my sword, its body falling into the lava to twist and writhe in an agony more real that the carved pillar could ever hope to depict. I wiped my blade upon its tattered cloth just before it was consumed in fire, and in the light of my burning foe grinned at the remainder, some dozen or so, who huddled in a corner. The smell of fear seemed to pervade the fetid air, and I grinned wider and deeper, a predatory bent to my face.

“Now, friends, who wants to bargain for their very lives?” No answer came from the forgers, so I sat down and explained what was expected of them, my sword lying innocently across my legs. When I left, the hesitant sounds of forging started up again behind me, churning out weapons and armour.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a bit of back story for what I'll be posting next. Very sorry to take so long, but I have felt exhausted lately. Really, if I had written anything it would probably have been worse for you.  :P Hopefully this will be the start of a build in momentum.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: February 02, 2014, 06:15:56 pm »

Bravo! That was an excellent comeback. It definitely managed to put in the question of what Th4DwArfY1 is planning with these goblins. This shall be very interesting indeed.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: February 03, 2014, 12:00:10 am »

The great swordman and magic weilder returns. May all who stand in his way burn and bleed!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: February 04, 2014, 03:10:40 pm »

The walls gloomily surrounded me, though I knew where they would lead. All walls end, all houses cease to be, and all forts crumble to their end eventually. The mountains to nubs of their former glory are worn, rivers buck their course and run wild and free across the open plains. There is only one true constant in this world of ours, and that is the people. While fire like hail would rain from the sky and seas may bubble, the Forumites will drink ale, slaughter puppies and cats and tear asunder the very earth. Fiery rain? Dig deeper. Rising tsunamis of endless seas, come to drench your land? A trivial matter solved with a gate and digging deeper. This is the logic with which the gods will war. This is what I am. And by the fire wreathed beard of Armok, I would have those gods break their teeth upon our spirits!

The dark ahead roiled and turned with monstrous, imagined shapes. I was fairly certain they were illusions sent by Armok, or at the least the sign my mind had broken under the pressure. Either way, I ignored them as petty and got on with the task at hand. I strode forward towards the wall of midnight and broke through, the shadows fleeing from my touch. I did not believe this to be my mind, for it held horrors far more deadly and monstrous than any conjured before me, and I had long mastered them. No flame-dripping Yak was seen to smite the ground in front of me, no death and servitude to Armok portrayed before my eyes; these were still inside. It must be Armok’s work. The bubble bursts and I was released into a land of light and fluffy clouds, rolling pastures and a peaceful river meandering through all. This is what Necrothreat should be, but closer inspection showed the lie. What at first seemed like the bleached limbs of trees were in actuality the grasping ribs of beasts and men, those too broken and shattered to be used by the dreaded children of Ur. And there they were. In the grass, hiding in groves of trees, their gruesome faces twisted in hatred of life itself. Accursed beasts. They will die soon, I remember thinking at the time. Their bones will join their dead brethren. A long shot. I knew it even at the time, but still I gave the order, and white smoke boiled upwards to mar the sky; a signal.

Moments passed. Then, from amongst the grasses finally regrown from the no-longer burning fires, there came a green tide. The Goblins held to their word. I grinned as the zombies were hacked and hewn by ambush after ambush, the slow-witted surprise on their faces comical in its stupidity. I threw back my head and laughed, long and loud, true belly mirth. The sky above was blue; the grass below was red. Finally the Forumites got revenge. Finally we show our mettle. Finally, the dead stay dead, for there are more blades than they can withstand. A Goblin is struck down, then rises again as an even fouler enemy. Spurred into action, the remaining zombies launch a shambling attack, for the first time distracted from the in-fighting that came when Ur was killed by Highmax. The Necrothreaders each strove to gain his Midnight Throne, and claim his tower for their own; it seems they are finally unified under one front. The zombies pull down more and more, until finally all invaders are amongst their ranks.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Th4DwArfY1 sets down his pen, leaning back in his chair. His hand hurts from the writing and his throat is as dry as the parchment, ink spattered as it was, that lies before him. The white space at the bottom beckons him, and he longs to continue his chronicle. But calls of the body intrude, and he takes a long draught of his ale. The last of the Great NAV stock of 59; its value amongst Forumites in nigh priceless. The flavour, as with most brews, is like the earth’s blood being poured down your throat. But oh, what vibrancy, what life! His hands ink-stained and shaking, he sets down his flask and eats a plump helmet stew, the stringy mushroom hard and unyielding, then finally being crushed and defeated in his mouth. Around his room there were now engravings, scenes of battles he longed to forget. Strengthening his back-bone he stands up, unsteady on his feet. He goes to his chamber door, trembling hand reaching for the handle; duty beats all, even fear. But then his gaze goes back to the page, to the chronicle he was writing, and a thought foreign to his race enters into his head; who will remember me? The true me, what I really think and feel. Not the rumours and legends, but the actual truth, something generations can pore over and say “There stood Th4DwArfY1, Highmax; Wielder of Blade and Flame, Apiks; Forumite of the days of dawning and the beginning of the God War, Elephant Parade, the Wolf-Man Ruhn, Mastahcheese the great Reindeer Tamer, NAV the brewer and Warrior of the First Class, and many others which stretch back into a long line of bravery, nobility and power. Who will remember us? A new duty occurs to him, and his hand falls limp at his side. Grimly he turns his back on the fort and picks up his pen; We deserve to have a place in history, and I will get that for us, or I will subject myself to the blades of Sprin!

Ten ambushes came that day, and ten were repulsed. I recall that the blood was indeed like a river, and our foes numbers increased. I also remember that I did not care, for that was but part of my plan; a test, of sorts. We now knew how organised they were, and we could develop a plan. I walked back into the fort, and the shade like fell wings again closed about the Abomination, cloaking him in their terror and inky shape.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:14:52 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: February 04, 2014, 04:19:14 pm »

:o

You are an amazing writer! Man, I wish I could write like that... the words always come out hollow when I try to write...
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: February 04, 2014, 04:38:41 pm »

Thanks very much! My ego always likes a boost  ;D

And my words always feel hollow to me too. I can't recall the number of times I've wanted to just erase everything I've done because I read over it and didn't like it. In writing, as in all things, you are your own worst critic. My advice is to continue writing, because even if everyone hated what I wrote I would do it anyway, simply because I enjoy doing it. Don't let mind interfere with heart!

And there I am rambling again, sorry  :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:40:48 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: February 04, 2014, 08:26:29 pm »

I swear, he takes an ordinary dwarf or person and makes them 1000x more awesome.

I bet he could even make a melancholy death jerk tears :o

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 121