Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: How's your generation doing?  (Read 42581 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
How's your generation doing?
« on: December 21, 2012, 10:16:11 am »

A mention of what it is and what you consider the cut off points would be nice too, certainly so.

Edit: Throw in some definition here guys. Do you identify best with your generation, or locality, or hobby? What are people your age into?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 07:16:20 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: How's your generation doing?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 01:35:33 pm »

Generation Y, born from the mid-80s to late 90s. I wouldn't include you here if you can't remember New Year's in 2000, or if you can remember when the Soviet Union existed. We're the college kids right now, as well as being some of the older high schoolers and younger college graduates.

As far as I can see, we are spending most of our time reminiscing about how great the 90s were, as evidenced by the famous phrase "only 90s kids will get this". Other than that horrible delusion, I'd say we're pretty okay. We're listening to that dang pop music, voting for them liberals, and supporting gay marriage, so no real problems here.

I'd say college debt is probably going to kick some of our asses soon, though most of us are still trying to pretend that's not about to happen, myself included.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:37:16 pm by penguinofhonor »

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 02:32:10 pm »

Personally, I qualify for the Boomerang Generation of '79 to '85. After that is Generation Y, as already noted. We're the ones that do remember the Soviet Union, Margeret Thatcher, and the first Gulf War, and lament the rise of political correctness in the 90's. We grew up with in time with the internet, and remember the hilariously bad computers of the early 90's and 28.8k modems and 5.25 inch floppy discs and all the shaz.

We're so named because we uniformly ended up leaving home, then coming back, then leaving again, in a hell of alot of cases. This does in fact apply to me, and I know several similar friends.

We're the current young workforce; and the one thats uniformly f**ked over because of the recession.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:35:23 pm by eharper256 »
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 03:46:18 pm »

30's isn't young any more, guy. You were expecting dude weren't you? Not a south park reference. :P
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 03:55:13 pm »

I would count "My generation" as anyone born between 1989 and 1999.
As for how we're doing I would guess pretty well; society hasn't collapsed yet. Not that I would notice, since I spend pretty much my entire life on the internet.
Man, I can't believe I'm already in my second decade. I feel old.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 03:57:00 pm »

Generation Y, born from the mid-80s to late 90s. I wouldn't include you here if you can't remember New Year's in 2000
:c

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 04:12:14 pm »

Generation Y. Just you wait until we start running things.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 04:17:32 pm »

I was born in '93, so, that's generation Y? What does the Y mean anyway?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 04:19:31 pm »

I was born in '93, so, that's generation Y? What does the Y mean anyway?
I think it's just an extention of the "Generation X" term for people born in like the 70/80s, or something.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 04:21:05 pm »

It means it's after Generation X. The current generation is either Z or I, depending upon whom you ask (the I stands for Internet).

The generations are: Lost -> Silent -> Baby Boomer -> X -> Y-> Z
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 04:23:16 pm »

Gen Y.  I'd count '85 - '95 amoung my specific subset.

In those of us who decided college isn't right for us are already in the workforce and making babiez, really not all that different than their parents.  In fact, it turns out at the end of the day most children do end up more like their parents than not.

Those of us in college are going to be, imo, more liberal than the previous generation, on average.  I could go on about 36 year bi-cycles and shifts of power, and how the democratic cycle is starting, but I think that a greater social awareness and technology bringing the influence of networkers and the common men together in a way never before done or possible will suffice.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 04:27:32 pm »

I'm about smackdab in the middle of GenX, which I'd define as "born after the Moon landing, but before the Challenger exploded" (so roughly 1969-1986). The Vietnam War ended shortly before I was born, but I was around long enough to be fully aware of the Cold War and this sort of inevitable expectation that one day we would have a nuclear World War III with the Soviets, after which we'd fight off mutant cockroaches and cannibals in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. And everyone would be wearing neon colors and have big hair. Grandpa Reagan was this sort of smiling, benevolent Glorious Leader that you didn't question, (unless you were a college activist type person, in which case you wrote songs about Nicaragua).

Then suddenly the Soviets ceased to exist and Bill Clinton became President, leaving us with a grand unanswered question: What is our national raison d'etre, what do we do now that this existential threat that defined our parents' entire lifetimes is gone?

The answer mostly turned out to be "Dude, let's get baked and play some video games."

Then in 2000, our national nightmare of peace and prosperity ended. The next decade pretty much sucked ass. A few thousand of us died in a war that few of us wanted. And now we're up to the current day.

Economically, there have been a number of studies showing that we make less money (adjusted for inflation) and have a lower standard of living than our parents did. Some of us did insanely well in the late 90's tech bubble. Most of us didn't have the money then to take advantage of it.

Socially, we're a lot more tolerant than our parents. We were the first generation for whom homosexuality, interracial relationships and divorce were shrug-worthy topics. We are the "Meh, whatever" generation.

Artistically, we've flourished...but at a cost. Our generational culture is so steeped in irony and black humor that I fear sometimes we've lost the ability to take anything seriously.  :-\

I feel like, with the exception of some notable folks, our generation is generally a little too laid-back. We're the Slacker generation. Because we don't take things seriously, we lack that burning drive and motivation that drove other generations. For the "Greatest" generation, it was a drive to win WWII and then seize that American Dream -- two kids, a house with a white picket fence, a good job and a better standard of living for your kids. For the Baby Boomers, it was either greed and excess, or "self-discovery" and narcissism. Not the greatest motivations, but it did drive people.

And now I see Generation Y folks, like some of my younger grad school classmates, and I'm envious of their drive. They want to do something important, they have big ideas. Not always the best ideas, but at least they're trying.

With technology, I feel like GenX is caught up in the "hey, wouldn't it be cool if we can make a gadget do this?"
Whereas GenY goes, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we took that technology that GenX just developed, and used it to ignite a social revolution? Or crowdsource poverty reduction?"

Next twenty years will be interesting, as more and more GenX'ers wind up taking the lead in politics. I honestly don't know if that's going to be a good thing or not.

EDIT: I think in some ways, we have similarity to the Lost Generation, in that we flourished artistically, although much of that art was in brazen rejection of convention. We're both somewhat hedonistic generations. But where the Lost Generation embraced the excess of the 1920's out of despair at what they'd seen in World War I, Generation X became slackers and hedonists because there just wasn't anything else to do. We all got jobs, but mostly just to pay the bills and save enough money to get tickets to next year's Lollapalooza.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:33:35 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 04:28:43 pm »

Lost, greatest, silent, baby boomer- all somewhat creative.

Then they went 'aaaaah fuck it' and went X, Y, Z
Well, the X stood for "unknown" since that generation involved massive social changes during their childhoods. Y and Z thus followed. Of course, Y has its own traits. Y is liberal in the extreme. Z are too young to get a feel on yet, but they're even more native to the internet than Y is. We're talking about people who are growing up playing with iPhones.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 04:39:04 pm »

Yeah, I guess my kids would be GenZ. My 6-year old is already freaking me out with her computer and tablet skills. Plus, when I go into her afterschool care (all elementary school age) to pick her up some days, there's like a dozen kids playing Minecraft on the same server. That just weirds me out for some reason.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 04:39:09 pm »

How's my generation doing?

Dubstep.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33