Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33

Author Topic: How's your generation doing?  (Read 42527 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: How's your generation doing?
« Reply #330 on: November 01, 2014, 10:08:01 pm »

The ever-applicable XKCD strikes again:

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #331 on: November 02, 2014, 03:16:34 pm »

I think one o the things that'd really help is a better way of communicating. You can only talk about so much through a linear forum like this, that's why I've been working on my Agora Project - to allow large number of people to talk about complex ideas without the debate drowning itself in its own complexity. Now if I could just pull myself together and finish the bloody thing :/

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 11, 2015, 09:11:33 pm »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 11, 2015, 09:37:14 pm »

I feel like I just stepped onto the wharf, but what was the point of that article? It looks like flamey click-bait.

It's what they're arguing about down there for the most part, so I'd also like to point out that I and almost everyone I know (in my age group, born in the 90's) doesn't expect to ever get a single cent out of Social Security. I reckon that Millennials at least have a shot at it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #334 on: January 11, 2015, 09:38:11 pm »

Aren't we 90's people millenials?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 11, 2015, 09:46:11 pm »

The edges are kinda fuzzy (since people being born tends to be a continual process, so you get all kinds of inbetweeners and whatnot) but in general millennials are looked at to be born sometime between the late 1980's and the early 2000's depending on who you ask, which would put the core part of the group being born in the 1990's, yeah.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 11, 2015, 09:59:19 pm »

I meant the people born in the 60's to the 80's, which is apparently Generation X. My mistake.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 11, 2015, 10:17:30 pm »

I'm on the older end of what could be considered a millennial (born 1983).  But I identify myself as one quite solidly for cultural reasons.  I was an earlier adopter of cultural landmarks like video games and the internet than most my own age, and very much on board with the millennial's rejection of the social and political values of previous generations. 

The one counter-point I do notice is that there seems to be this bubble of hyper-cynical attitude towards media among people within a couple years of my age that those any older or younger don't seem as likely to share.  For example, it's been noted for a long time that my age group is the most difficult to reach and influence by advertisement.

And yeah... the article is nothing more than flame bait.  But I couldn't resist sharing, because it strokes the bitterness in me.  My entire adult life has felt designed and dominated by baby boomers, who basically shit all over my generation and are too self-absorbed to ever have the slightest clue.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:25:49 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 12, 2015, 07:45:30 am »

O.o

Millenials seems to be the target of new ads catering to various niches while being kept in a juvenille prepetual conventional state of moral judgement.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 12, 2015, 04:34:48 pm »

It's what they're arguing about down there for the most part, so I'd also like to point out that I and almost everyone I know (in my age group, born in the 90's) doesn't expect to ever get a single cent out of Social Security.
If you meet somebody who does, tell them I've got a bridge to sell them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 10, 2015, 12:36:28 pm »

Millenials seems to be the target of new ads catering to various niches while being kept in a juvenille prepetual conventional state of moral judgement.

It's what corporations view as being able to get them the most amount of money.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 10, 2015, 01:07:04 pm »

Personally, Born 1982.  IIRC, thats somewhere between X and Y. Different sources say different things.

I miss the 80s.  Kids actually played outside.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 10, 2015, 01:14:24 pm »

Born in 1996, whatever generation that makes me. Advertising doesn't reach me, mostly because I willfully ignore it. I take advertisements as an invitation to go to the bathroom, grab a drink, etc. while I wait for my show/movie/video to come back. Most of my computers have AdBlock installed on them, disabled only on certain websites that I especially like and choose to support that way.

First: Most of these commercials are advertising things that I will never, ever be a customer for. Just a few of the most-frequently-played ads that I've seen lately:

• When will I ever have the money to buy a brand new Nissan? BTW, this is by far the most frequently played ad, appearing at least twice in a row whenever it shows up.
  • I already own two Android devices besides a number of other computers, so it's not like I'm going to buy more of those any time soon.
  • I'm quite happy with all the bodily cleaning products I use at the moment, so I won't buy... whatever skin product is in the ad that features the really smug lady who's way too close to the camera. I've never seen what that ad is actually pushing, and I wouldn't buy it because I hate that commercial.
  • I already have Netflix and Crunchyroll, so there's very little I'd get by buying a Chromecast device.

Second: I've had the concepts of advertising explained to me and viewed lectures on marketing. A lot of them seem to be ignoring the fact that advertisements are interruptions in the middle of something I'd much rather be looking at. They are not welcome surprises or helpful informants, they are the enemy.

Third: These commercials take way too long to get to the point. Youtube (at least in my region) lets you skip ads that are 30 seconds or over, so I never even see what the ad is for because I'm mashing the skip button as soon as it lets me.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 10, 2015, 01:27:26 pm »

Personally, my favorite ad of recent note is this one ad that is basically the following: 'Hey we know you don't like long ads, her's an ad for our credit card, bye.' played out in under ~20 seconds.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 10, 2015, 04:59:41 pm »

Lost, greatest, silent, baby boomer- all somewhat creative.

Then they went 'aaaaah fuck it' and went X, Y, Z

It's just lucky we didn't start with Generation A, or we'd be with the alphabet for about 400 years.

I'm a Gen-X-er.

After "Z", we need to get creative again. But those Generation names are rarely coined during the actual generation. "Greatest Generation" is modern. It was coined by a writer in 1998. The need to label generations before they've even done anything is dumb. No-one in the Great Depression was looking around thinking how that generation was awesome at the time.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 05:13:14 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33