Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33

Author Topic: How's your generation doing?  (Read 42331 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How's your generation doing?
« Reply #345 on: March 10, 2015, 05:05:24 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:21:27 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 10, 2015, 05:06:47 pm »

X wasn't uncreative exactly, Generation X got its name for being an x-factor, as it bucked statistical trends that came before it. Y progressed this change in an even greater magnitude. It's early to say if Z will as well.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 10, 2015, 05:12:18 pm »

I go by the 20 year generations system, because it's the only workable system which doesn't require exploding out the number of "generations" immensely.

Boomers get 20 years, 45-65, Gen X gets 20 years 65-85, Y gets 20 years 85-2005, and Z is kids born since 2005.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 10, 2015, 06:48:50 pm »

I don't know why, but I get the vibe that everyone's doing a little bit better recently.

I may join in on that vibe, if only a little bit, if one of these other jobs I've applied for gets back to me with some good news in the near future.  Until then, I'm sporting a shitload of anxiety over everything at work crashing and burning because of stupid and hateful management strategies, which seem to me like one of the dominant themes of our generation.  Everyone I know hates work, because their bosses seem to be so distrustful and spiteful towards workers that they would be sabotaging operations over it, if workers didn't frequently insubordinate just to keep society operating.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 10, 2015, 07:06:14 pm »

I dunno. Makes me sad.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:51:02 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 10, 2015, 08:10:31 pm »

Well if they're seriously worried you'll steal corporate secrets, you should be in a 6-figure salary job anyway and dealing with sensitive information.

Truean, what you wrote makes me think of the sandwich shop non-compete agreements which prevent you steal corporate sandwich-making secrets and taking them to e.g. Subways, or from opening your own diner.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 10, 2015, 08:50:37 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:28:04 pm by penguinofhonor »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 10, 2015, 09:52:18 pm »

Maybe if you're selling a business or something. I dunno. It's complex.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:48:41 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 10, 2015, 10:53:52 pm »

-snip-
To be fair, I didn't click that link, but I might have a story that's of interest:

My one sister's SO works at a wheel manufacturing factory in some kind of fairly-technical-but-fairly-important-but-not-really-management position. Great guy, he is, and an even better handyman. Fixed my parents' central heating after three different contractors had failed at the task.
Anyway, his company once tried expanding to the US by building a new factory there. Of course they had to buy some parts locally (which weren't cutting edge in any sort of way, and neither were the American contractors, but that's another story and it might be a regional thing), but more importantly, they had to hire local workers.
And that was a problem.
A fucking huge problem, actually. In Europe, you have a kind of loyalty to your company: When they hire you (at least if you're a somewhat skilled worker), you expect to work there for a couple of years and not be fired for some bullshit reason, and on the other hand the company expects you to not run off for $.10 an hour more at some other company.
Accordding to him, though, that's exactly what happened there: They couldn't find experienced workers for their plant, so they started training the guys they hired. And as soon as they'd gotten a little bit of training, as soon as the company had made an investment in them, they ran off to other companies. The plant got into all sorts of troubles, and it took them more than half a decade to adopt to the very, very different employment culture oín the US.

So I wouldn't really blame those guys if they required a signature on a non-compete agreement (I don't know if they did). These things have their place, at least in some niches.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:53:47 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 10, 2015, 11:38:16 pm »

If they want employee loyalty, they could give job security and maybe even pay a lil better? Especially the job security seems like a two way street.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:45:57 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 10, 2015, 11:42:25 pm »

$.10 might be an exaggeration, but the point remains: Their company paid for their training, and some other benefit reaped the benefits. Matching the wage increase won't do anything, since the other company already has a competetive edge by not having paid for that training.

Sure, these contracts need to be regulated - tightly regulated - but what should 'certain circumstances' be, if not this? You're essentially condemning companies to training employees for free, at least in this instance.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 10, 2015, 11:43:47 pm »

Quote from: Truean

Admittedly, it is a pretty dick move to run off near as soon as training is completed.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 10, 2015, 11:49:48 pm »

Sandwich making... Sandwich making? Do you realize how that sounds? Bread or bun and things inside it. That's a "company secret" or "trade secret?" Because they've never made a sandwich before? Do you realize how that sounds?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:41:13 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 10, 2015, 11:57:44 pm »

Quote from: Truean

I was only using the quote to display whom I was talking to, as I am now in case of ninja's.  Removed everything else, including the link, from it.

And I was referring to the company the Helgoland spoke about, not Jimmy John's.  They wouldn't have brought the contracts in if the employees weren't immediately leaving after being trained.  Isn't that a bit more reasonable?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 11, 2015, 12:04:22 am »

Fuck, didn't remember the no quoting thing. Not entirely sober right now... Fixed it, anyway.

Training expense is minimal? Maybe in the jobs you're thinking of, but certainly not in general. And 'unable to work for two years' is not true either: Those were people they'd've kept on for at the very least that timespan, and almost certainly longer (surely that, or some other provision strengthening the workers' position, could be included in those contracts, if deemed necessary). I'll throw the 'reflexevely quoting' right back at you: I never said you didn't lay out what 'certain circumstances' should include, I just claimed your set of circumstances wasn't wide enough.

And in case you didn't notice: I agree with you on the sandwich thing. Regulation is necessary (I'm European, this sentence is practically part of my gospel :P ) But making cars (and most car parts, really) is a wee bit more complicated than throwing together a couple vegetables and calling it a sandwich. The way the economy works has changed, and the laws and customs regarding contracts need to change with it. Demanding contract law should stay the way it was in the fifties because those were the golden times economically is, uh, missing the adjective here. Maybe I'll put it when sober :D

Ninja: I don't know if they even used such contracts, and I'm fairly fuzzy on the details - all I'm saying is that it seemed like an instance where using such contracts would be justified.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33