Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Atom smasher problem  (Read 1175 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Atom smasher problem
« on: April 29, 2014, 02:49:43 pm »

I built a small drawbridge (2x2) and hooked it up as usual.  I defined a pile using I as usual.  When I filled up the quantum pile, though, and triggered the bridge, all it did was throw the contents around, not destroy them.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Does the pile need to be in a location where the 8 tiles surrounding it are also covered by the bridge?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atom smasher problem
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 03:05:29 pm »

Did you pile the stuff on top of the bridge or under it? Just from your description it sounds like the former and that would be your problem.

If so, just leave the bridge up and re-pile everything underneath before pulling the lever again.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 03:28:06 pm »

Make sure it's a raising, not a retracting bridge.

A raising bridge will destroy everything it _lowers_ onto; and everything that's on the row/column that turns into "wall" when raising. Everything that's on the rest of the bridge when it's raised will get flung rather forcefully (straight up, with a little sideways scatter - 10z and more are possible).

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 06:33:20 pm »

Copious amounts of Science prove that 2x2 bridges, the kind that can smash, work properly.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:36:29 pm »

OK, still not sure what the glitch was, but I deconstructed it and reconstructed it and the new one is fine.  Maybe I forgot to set a direction after all.  thanks.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.