Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: A Creative Programming Project: Merchants Quest  (Read 17197 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Programming Creative Project: Merchants Quest
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 12:01:14 am »

You got this far in three days?! You can't see it through the screen, but I'm respectfully doffing my imaginary hat to you.

Regarding the clouds and wind, you could have trade winds that change from going east to west and back along latitude lines, which Wikipedia knows more about than I ever will. Your map already looks awesome, but it could add some realism further along when determining economies of cities and kingdoms.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 07:20:52 am »

It would basically be you trying to steer your ancient buisness to success all the way to the modern day (so you can enjoy your riches) by going back and forth. With plot twists happening as your major sources of income suddenly crashing leaving your buisness destitute (Black Pepper, Tulips, Olive Oil, and Aluminum all have had market crashes)
That could make for some very interesting gameplay, but I think it would take forever for me to implement.
I settled on going for a more Crusader Kings like approach where you control a dynasty, either only the head, or all members of the family.

Would it be too much to ask you to upload the part of the code which makes the world and biomes? It looks like it's mostly complete, and it would be very useful.
I will open source the whole thing soon. But if you really want to have a look at it I don't mind posting it.

Regarding the clouds and wind, you could have trade winds that change from going east to west and back along latitude lines,
Hmm, interesting. It could have been handy info to have when I programmed the weather simulation. I think it produces okay results for now, but if I dive into the code again at another point in time, I will probably implement something like this!
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 10:29:55 pm »

That could make for some very interesting gameplay, but I think it would take forever for me to implement.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't asking or suggesting you to do that. It would be one of those games that could easily go wrong but that would be amazing if done right.

If I did make a suggestion it would be using money for power in a world where the amount of money you are allowed to earn is dictated by your caste. A Rags to riches sort of deal with you eventually having "Merchant Princes". Possibly with different abilities showing up only later.

For example females with merchant skills won't show up while you are still poor. Yet because of the freedoms afforded to you by wealth women with actual educations start to show up, though not standardly.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 06:01:54 pm »

Day_4
The first small trading update
Hey all, I've been a little busy, so I did not work much on the project. I did however add a few new things, and did some under the hood work.
First of all, the rendering code was a bit slow, so I optimized it and made it run in parallel, you can't really see it in the screenshots, but it will make a difference later.
I started working on trading, for this I needed the resources to be assigned to cities in the effect radius of the specific resource. So, I started by putting cities back into the game and expanding a little on the code:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I made the cities grab the resources in their vicinity:

Now lets add support for some simple exporting/importing. For now I just want to test out this initial system, so the cities just export whatever resources they have extras of, to whatever city is first on their list:

It works! :)
Alright that is what I have to show for today, as I said it was a small update.
I have implemented A star path finding, and I will show it off in the next update when I expand a bit on the trading.

Btw guys, I have a little hard time coming up with interesting trade resources, do you have any ideas?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 09:09:31 pm »

Depends on the intended setting.

Speaking of resources, are resources placed then towns, or are towns placed and then resources assigned to them?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 07:43:11 am »

The setting is supposed to be a static medieval world. Think your average fantasy setting. 

Speaking of resources, are resources placed then towns, or are towns placed and then resources assigned to them?
Resources are placed randomly when placing biomes. It is based on the scarcity parameter.
Towns are then placed afterwards, again randomly for now.

The idea is then that towns "gather" whatever resources they are in range of. The towns then get an even share of all the resources. If only one town is in range of a resource, the town gets all the output.
My plan for today is to implement and expand a bit on this system, perhaps even make resources actual entities.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 07:56:19 am »

I post to watch.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2012, 11:51:17 am »

For resources why not the ones that you get in the Civ games?

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_resources.html

Could be worth a start, could make some biome dependant like Ivory etc.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2012, 02:33:55 pm »

The setting is supposed to be a static medieval world. Think your average fantasy setting. 
Okay then. Here's some ideas.
Spoiler: Food Resources (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Metals and Minerals (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Luxuries (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Misc. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Artificial (click to show/hide)
Hopefully I'm not overestimating your plans here.

Resources are placed randomly when placing biomes. It is based on the scarcity parameter.
Towns are then placed afterwards, again randomly for now.

The idea is then that towns "gather" whatever resources they are in range of. The towns then get an even share of all the resources. If only one town is in range of a resource, the town gets all the output.
My plan for today is to implement and expand a bit on this system, perhaps even make resources actual entities.
Neat.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 02:56:48 pm »

Okay then. Here's some ideas.
Oh those are very cool, I am implementing them right now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 03:24:27 pm »

I'll retract my suggestion, it doesn't seem like the game where my idea works.

Since mine was more for a game that deals with a merchants dealings with society itself and that seems like a game about succeeding in a geopolitical sense.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 03:30:23 pm »

Oh no, actually I am definitely going for something like your idea. But it is just a bit too early, I am just not quite there yet to implement such things. For now I am just going for a trading sim.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 03:30:51 pm »

Oh no, actually I am definitely going for something like your idea. But it is just a bit too early, I am just not quite there yet to implement such things. For now I am just going for a trading sim.

>_<

Yay!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 03:34:26 pm »

Potatoes? In a high-fantasy medieval world? Isn't such a world usually based on the European Middle Ages?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 03:35:39 pm »

Potatoes? In a high-fantasy medieval world? Isn't such a world usually based on the European Middle Ages?

Hey! Knights with huge flaming swords need to eat too

Also I didn't know this was fantasy, I should read closer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7