Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: A Creative Programming Project: Merchants Quest  (Read 17152 times)

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Programming Creative Project: Merchants Quest
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 04:32:21 pm »

Day_5
Creating something that works
Hello all! I spend this day coming up with a good way resources should work.
I decided that cities will "produce" the resources they have in their vicinity. The system is actually quite simple, a city will get a part(Or all) of the resources in their vicinity. The city then counts up all the resources of a specific type and adds the outputs together, this value will be the amount of this resource a city will produce each month. When the city has a whole resource, it will create a resource entity, this entity will be what we will be trading between cities.
Here is a image of the system in the early stages:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When I made that image I only had a few resource types. I needed a few more, so I added quite a few of the ones GreatWyrmGold suggested. I did not add any animals, as I think I need to expand a bit on how those work before I add them in. Eitherway way, this is the mess it makes on the map when I render all the resorces:

The last thing I added today was some initial roads. It was mostly to test out my pathfinding algorithm. It is not quite ready, but it looks pretty cool!

That is it for day 5! Again a relatively short day, but I don't get to pull any all nighters at the moment, and my productivity is higest when it's dark.
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
Re: A Creative Programming Project: Merchants Quest
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 04:40:52 pm »

This is really, really awesome.

PTW.
I need to put something interesting here.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 04:53:41 pm »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 12:25:33 pm »

I won't be making any updates today. It's new years soon, and again I won't get to work much on this.

I can however give a little update on what I am working on. I am working implementing races and civilizations, these will mostly control city placement and distribution, as it is pretty much random for now.
Race won't really matter much in terms of gameplay, at least not for now. Races only control which types of civilizations can spawn.
A civilization has one or more "cultures". Cultures will control how this specific civilization behaves, moreover it will probably control what language it speaks. (For now I just want it to make control citynames)

Cultures control the spefics of city distribution and how a civilization will expand. For an example, a culture can have a parameter "<requiresBiome>", if it is set to "Plains" the culture will attempt to only build cities on "Plains" biome. Cultures will probably have some more parameters like whether or not they want to build ships, or whether or not they will refuse to trade with individuals of specific cultures or races.

For an example, the dwarf race in my game can only spawn one civilization type called "Dwarves". This civilization has a culture called "Mountain Dweller", who will only build cities on or near mountains. Furthermore they will never build cities with harbors, so sea trade is more or less not used by dwarven civilizations.

It will for now probably not affect the individual entities in the game for now. But attributes such as race depended fertility, maximum age and skills and the latter will probably be added soon.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Programming Creative Project: Merchants Quest
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 02:42:32 pm »

Potatoes? In a high-fantasy medieval world? Isn't such a world usually based on the European Middle Ages?
Trust me, potatoes are the least important anachronism in an average world. I suppose you're going to complain about the cacao beans too...

EDIT: Hey, three pages!
That's looking really good. Here's an idea: Races can harvest certain kinds of resources better. Dwarves might mine +50% of various mineral resources, elves might get bonuses to raising animals or producing timber, humans might be the best farmers, etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:45:29 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 02:34:03 am »

Technically Potatoes wouldn't exactly be an anachronism, it isn't like they didn't exist on earth until the Europeans got their hands on them.

A good question is how this game will handle fantasy resources like magic fruit.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 02:36:12 pm »

Day_6
Adding some culture

Hey for this update I have been working mostly on underlying code. I imagined the world to be filled with different races/civilizations/cultures. So I worked on creating a system for this. My idea was that each race can be a specific number of difference cultures. I explained this a few posts ago. The cultures will control mostly the macro behavior of a civilization, like initial city placement, expansion behavior, and perhaps the likes and dislikes when it comes to trade goods. It will also add some decisions to the player. Would you like to play a dwarf, with easy access to very valuable goods and a long life, but have a harder time traveling? Or play a human with more flexibility and offspring, but more expendable offspring?

The first thing I needed to implement was this macro behavior. First of all, lets just add a simple system, the culture will just control city placement for now. Here is an example culture XML file:
This is the cultures I use for human/medieval societies and dwarves respectively.
Civilizations are like containers for these cultures. Grouping abstract behavior together to form more advanced behavior, also civilizations will define more global behavior, like language and naming.  A civilization definition file looks like this:
Here is the civilizations that makes use of the cultures I defined earlier. For now I have not gone into languages, they should be mostly aesthetic anyway so they can wait for now.

Lastly races control the stats of the individuals spawned, but also what kind of civilizations this race can spawn. Here is one for humans:
Humans can spawn three different civilizations, that will have different placement, expansion and trading behavior, when it is implemented.

Either way, after implementing the city placement system to make use of these parameters I tested the system out, and whether it will scatter some capitals around properly. The results are promising, and now that the "system" is figured out, adding some more advanced and interesting behavior will be easy:

I disabled roads for now, they were randomly placed and "for show" anyway. They will be added in again when I start working on civilization behavior.
That's it for day 6, I know there were not a lot of screenshots, but this was mostly abstract work anyway.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 02:53:58 pm »

Look, what are you using to draw to the screen? I'm completely lost when it comes to computer graphics.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 04:43:49 pm »

Is there a reason Begta and Palwwa don't have any information listed?

How are names for the settlements chosen?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 07:50:19 pm »

Look, what are you using to draw to the screen? I'm completely lost when it comes to computer graphics.
Nothing. It is software rendered. But I am considering rendering the terrain and world with a shader, because I have my worries that it is a bit too slow.

Is there a reason Begta and Palwwa don't have any information listed?

How are names for the settlements chosen?
They don't have any information because I implemented a little cursor, and only wanted information near the cursor. I was getting a bit too much information at times.

Names for now are just randomly generated syllables either two or three letters long. It was mostly to implement something working and fast, but it sadly offers very little variety. So I am considering created a language system of sorts, so the different civilizations can have more distinct names. 

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2013, 11:10:11 pm »

posting to the watch.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 02:31:04 am »

super amazing! you make me want to start programming, its looks so fun!

didnt fully get your civ, culture and raze defenitions though; is it possible to have a civ with multiple races? it could be cool to have some diversity in the civilizations, like dwarfes and humans having a shared mountian city, with some imigranting goblins as lower class slaves...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 02:37:37 pm »

They don't have any information because I implemented a little cursor, and only wanted information near the cursor. I was getting a bit too much information at times.
I guessed this, but didn't want to assume.

Names for now are just randomly generated syllables either two or three letters long. It was mostly to implement something working and fast, but it sadly offers very little variety. So I am considering created a language system of sorts, so the different civilizations can have more distinct names.
Neat. Can't wait to see it.
Sig

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 12:59:16 am »

Posting to watch as well
This looks really cool, good luck :)
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 01:10:57 am »

Posting to watch as well
This looks really cool, good luck :)
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7