Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: A Creative Programming Project: Merchants Quest  (Read 17261 times)

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Creative Programming Project: Merchants Quest
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2013, 05:31:50 pm »

Day_7
Languages and initial expansions

Hey all. There has been a tragedy in m girlfriends family, it has really messed with my coding schedule. Either way, I have found some time to work on the game a little bit. This is where I left of:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wanted city names to be more depended on culture, so I decided to implement languages. At least sort of, I am not quite sure if I am happy with the system as it is right now. The system is very simple. A language has a name, and a list of syllables it can use to create words. Initially I included phrases and words too, as it could add some very interesting distinction, but I decided against it:
Yes, the elven city of "Meh" and the human city of "Gnome" and "Run for corn ill".

So, instead of words, I split words up, and the result is a bit better. I don't know if I keep this. Right now it just makes me laugh a little every time I see some exceptionally funny combination of syllables. Not the desired effect I wanted. Either way, I wasted a train ride implementing it, and now I have to learn to live with it.
Moving on. I want cities near water to act like harbors for cultures that allow for harbors that is.
Harbor cities will play an important role later when I add ships. For now the game just "knows" what cities are harbor cities, and it places a blue point so it knows where the water is.

The last thing I wanted to implement was some of the most basic AI. Each civilization will get some free expansion when they are created. The amount of free expansions is specified in the civilization definition. Either way, I wanted to test out and see how the initial world state is when the initial free expansions have been used:
I need to work some more on this. One of the cities expanded into the water, which was not exactly what I attempted.

Second attempt went a bit better. Here with some gray dots added around the cities to simulate buildings:

Okay, it looks a bit better, and the naming is not THAT ridiculous anymore. Next I will work more on city AI, and perhaps I should start working on actual gameplay soon.
Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2013, 05:40:18 pm »

Sorry to hear about whatever happened in your girlfriend's family. I hope it gets...resolved?

Anyways, nice work.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 06:11:15 pm »

Great job so far! I'd love to play this game when it's finished :D

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2013, 09:03:50 am »

I got so inspired by this that I made some fanart:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/67237969/skiss41.jpg

what is the expansions exactly? a city spawn other cities around it?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2013, 10:29:29 am »

Posting to watch.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2013, 10:31:23 am »

I got so inspired by this that I made some fanart:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/67237969/skiss41.jpg

what is the expansions exactly? a city spawn other cities around it?
Woah, that is awesome! Great work! Is it a goblin merchant?

Each civ start with only one city, which is placed at a more or less random suitable spot. Since it is the first city, they will get some free expansions, so they advance faster at first. For the player it will mean that the world will be a bit more interesting when they start playing! Sorry if that was not clear, my last update post was a bit of a mess since I was a bit stressed when I wrote it.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 02:03:10 am »

PTW! This looks awesome for only a few days work :D Roads are an interesting problem since they (cart and walking roads) normally have a gradient range that they must remain within (preferably flat :P ) and so can end up being much longer than the actual shortest path. What method and constraints are you using for your current road generation? Roads, I think, should also have as few hard turns as possible except at intersections and where absolutely necessary (such as switchbacks going up a mountain) so there may need to be additional constraints if you are using A*.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing how this turns out ^_^
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 02:18:00 am »

Posting to watch this awesome, awesome creation.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 05:01:17 pm »

Day_8
So many different things I could implement!

Hey fellow b12fers.
I finally got some time to work on this project. I had a million different things I wanted to implement, which kinda meant that I didn't do any of them fully. I do however have a few things I want to show off.

First of all, if this is going to be a game, it needs a main menu. So, I decided to implement menu of some sort. This did require quite a lot of additions to the codebase, but I had fun doing it:

I decided to interface a lot of things, also the world creation, so here is how the world creation screen will look like:

Other than interfaces, I decided to start working on adding some sort of interaction with the game world. Entities need to live in the world. How exactly they are going to do this I am not quite sure. At the very least they need to, Sleep, Breed, Eat, Work, interact with each other and a bunch of other things. I decided to start by implementing some sort of system where entities will attempt to breed every now and then, and every so often, a pregnancy might occur. This was way more fun than it should have been. Mostly because I actually named one of entity methods:
Code: [Select]
haveSex(Entity who);
I doubt I will ever get the chance to write such a function ever again.

Either way, after a bit of work on seeding the initial world population, here are the results of the world's most boring "breeding simulator":

After about 9 months of in game time, and a lot of abstract ingame sex later. This a little dwarven boy was born.

I have no idea if the fertility chance is to high. It will be fun to see later on when I implement other AI needs.

That is it for Day 8, not much interesting today. I will start working on giving entities more options for things to do. This means that the cities will have a bunch of "subspaces". These will represent houses, shops, industry and the so on. Entities will be able to move between these subspaces, and interact with each other and with the world. This will also lay for foundation for things the player will be able to do.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:36:25 pm by Killjoy »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 06:12:19 pm »

These are pretty fancy pants names you got there Killroy... or in the Merchant Tongue: Killroyfiziqualmetrobil

I admit I got a good laugh.

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2013, 06:22:15 pm »

Haha, yeah. I need to work more on languages.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2013, 06:31:23 pm »

Would it be possible to have names capitalized?
...Or better yet, to have some languages capitalize proper nouns and others don't?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2013, 07:24:53 pm »

Would it be possible to have names capitalized?
...Or better yet, to have some languages capitalize proper nouns and others don't?

Technically they might have an entirely different system of spelling and may not even HAVE the same letters as us.

Thus we would have CHRIssss as a name. Though we don't do that because we translate it to our own writing conventions.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2013, 07:34:49 pm »

This was way more fun than it should have been. Mostly because I actually named one of entity methods:
Code: [Select]
haveSex(Entity who);I doubt I will ever get the chance to write such a function ever again.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2013, 12:17:33 pm »

Bilgolril doesn't sound too bad. I imagine it sounds like "Bill-Go-Rill".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7