Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there some trick to having a military use picks?  (Read 951 times)

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there some trick to having a military use picks?
« on: December 25, 2012, 12:59:14 am »

I'm a bit confused. Picks are such a cool weapon, so archetypally dorfy; yet, I assign the pick to be the military uniform equipped weapon, but when its go time, they all drop their picks and become wrestlers. Bizarre. Applies even if I assign specific picks.

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there some trick to having a military use picks?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 01:07:52 am »

You have to disable Miner for the soldiers to pick up the picks.

goblolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 01:23:24 am »

You have to disable Miner for the soldiers to pick up the picks.
Yep, there are labor/military equipment collisions.
In one of my forts I had only one axe and one pick. While cutting some trees I noticed there are tasty animals outdoors. I gave a pick to my proficient axedwarf and he went smashing things with it!
The first small thing that made me feel awesome was my indoor waterfall. A few minutes later though, it started flooding my fort so I felt less awesome.

Deinos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 01:37:57 am »

Wow, cool. I've been like... strangely obsessed with the use of picks as a weapon... would have never guessed that disabling miner was required.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 07:34:49 am »

Also have to disable woodcutting for any dwarf you want to use an axe in the military.

I let my miners get to legendary +5 and then switch them off to the military while training up more miners.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 09:30:53 am »

I'm a bit confused. Picks are such a cool weapon, so archetypally dorfy; yet, I assign the pick to be the military uniform equipped weapon, but when its go time, they all drop their picks and become wrestlers. Bizarre. Applies even if I assign specific picks.

Any one of these three work:
  • Make two picks for every miner.
  • Assign a specific pick for use in military - if you can, assign the one they use to mine.
  • Turn off mining labour.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 09:25:22 am »

You need to disable the hunter, miner and woodcutter labors in your soldiers. Those three have uniforms asigned and that mess
with the militray ones.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability