Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Labours that don't require skill  (Read 6660 times)

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Labours that don't require skill
« on: December 25, 2012, 05:21:26 am »

Simply put, someone had brought up creating a profession using DT for the useless migrants that had all labours enabled where skill means nothing on the quality.
Does anyone have a list?
In case it wasn't obvious, I do know that dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility. I do not know, however, how this dwarven calculator would react if anyone attempted the impossible. Please, someone try! xD
If you look back in the thread, some people did try, and they got 8008135, which is significant only in that the digits resemble the letter in "BOOBIES".
And so dwarf fortress solves yet another of lifes great mysteries.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Labours that don't require skill
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 07:20:49 am »

As far as I know skill only totally doesn't matter for hauling and cleaning. Skil affects speed, but not quality of the end product, for at least:

- smoothing walls
- engraving tracks
- brewing
- furnace operating
- pump operating
- woodcutting

I think it also holds for plant processing, butchering etc, as I don;t think there is masterwork meat or thread..

For mining, farming and plant gathering, skill affects the speed and yield from a tile, but not the quality of the yield, so they could also be on this list depending on your goal.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 07:34:11 am »

Trapping?
Small Animal Dissection
Diagnosis
Surgery
Setting Bones
Suturing
Butchery
Tanning
Soap Maker
Wood Burning
Potash Making
Lye Making
Milling
Brewing
Plant Processing
Cheese Making
Milking
Shearing
Spinning
Pressing
Fish Cleaning
Fish Dissection
Furnace Operating
Strand Extraction

Other notable labours:

Woodcutting: Requires no skill, but prevents dwarves from using any armour or other weapon.
Stone Detailing: Requires no skill for smoothing only.
Pump Operating: Skill increases the amount of time a dwarf can pump before becoming exhausted, but if all you want is a kickstart for your water reactors skill doesn't matter.
Bee Keeping: Requires no skill, but causes AI problems when enabled on more than one dwarf. You only need one anyway.
Mechanics: Requires no skill for anything but making mechanisms.
Architecture: This does have quality levels, but you probably don't care about them.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Almagest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 08:43:22 am »

Jobs where skill only affects time
Mining - since the hauling changes skill doesn't matter
Wood cutting
Butchery
Tanning
Soap Maker
Wood Burning
Lye Making
Milling
Brewing - I'm not sure about this one, booze clearly don't have quality but where do the "Had a truly decadent drink lately" thoughts come from?
Plant Processing
Cheese Making
Milking
Shearing
Spinning
Pressing
Bee Keeping - you should keep it activated on only a single dwarf though because of the bug causing dwarfs to freeze
Fishing
Fish Cleaning
Fish Dissection
Furnace Operating
Strand Extraction
Pump Operating
All Hauling
Pushing Minecarts
Cleaning

Jobs where particular tasks are of both types
Masonry - there are items that have no quality, like blocks. I build separate workshops for skilled masons where I order high-quality goods (set it in workshop profile) and workshops for everyone else where I order blocks for megaprojects. Also skill doesn't matter when it comes to building walls or floors (it does with bridges and pumps) so you might want to turn it on everyone for mass constructions.
Carpentry - the same as with masonry but there is no point in making blocks.
Stone Detailing - Skill only matters when it comes to engraving. Anyone can smooth or carve fortifications with the same effect.
Animal Training - I believe it's fine to let anyone train war animals but only skilled trainers should try to tame wild ones.
Hunting - unskilled hunters might get killed by wildlife
Medical skills - I'm not sure with this one. I know that for example diagnosis only affects time, not the result so it should belong to the first group. Still, it's probably a bad idea to turn it on every dwarf as unskilled doctors might take so much time that the wounded will bleed out. I've had a doctor that had to make several diagnoses in a row because his last one became outdated before he proceeded to actually treating the patient.
Gem Cutting - skill only affects the quality of large gems, which are a rare byproduct of gem cutting. Mass enabling this skill is a reasonable choice.
Glassmaking - blocks...
Pottery - blocks...
Mechanics - skill affects the quality of mechanisms made at a workshop, it doesn't matter with linking levers.

Labours where skill always affects quality
Crossbow-making
Farming
Dyeing
Plant Gathering
Cooking
Weaponsmithing
Armoring
Blacksmithing
Metalcrafting
Gem Setting
Leatherworking
Woodcrafting
Stonecrafting
Bone Carving
Weaving
Clothesmaking
Glazing
Wax Working
Siege Engineering
Siege Operating
Architecture

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 09:01:27 am »

Jobs where skill only affects time
Mining - since the hauling changes skill doesn't matter

Wait, WHAT?
How did I not know this? That explains why I'm completely SWIMMING in copper and iron bars, and so short of rocks.

Time to set up a load of blocks to be made, and re-build all of the constructions in block.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 10:20:54 am »

I've heard, and have reasonable suspicion to believe, that brewing does in fact have quality.

Armorsmith    
Bone carver
Bowyer    
Carpenter    
Clothier    
Engraver    
Gem cutter    
Gem setter    
Glassmaker    
Leatherworker
Mason    
Mechanic    
Metal crafter    
Metalsmith    
Miner    
Stone crafter    
Tanner    
Weaponsmith    
Weaver    
Wood crafter    

These are all "moodable" so unless you want lots of useless artifacts, you might consider not enabling these on your useless migrants. You could pick 1 moodable skill that you want to focus on and give them all that. That way when you get a fey mood, you're more likely to get a legendary armor smith instead of ANOTHER stone crafter.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 11:32:13 am »

Brewing - I'm not sure about this one, booze clearly don't have quality but where do the "Had a truly decadent drink lately" thoughts come from?
They come entirely from the value of the alcohol being consumed (with preferences playing a strong part). Strangely, the value is also determined by the stack size, so drinking from a full barrel gives a happier thought than drinking from one that's nearly empty.

I've heard, and have reasonable suspicion to believe, that brewing does in fact have quality.
It does not - Toady has said so, and I've confirmed it via disassembly.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 02:51:34 pm »

Thanks guys!
I'll most likely enable everything where quality and time isn't essential, and set workshop profiles for the rest.
They come entirely from the value of the alcohol being consumed (with preferences playing a strong part). Strangely, the value is also determined by the stack size, so drinking from a full barrel gives a happier thought than drinking from one that's nearly empty.

Well, do you like drinking from the bottom of a beer can?
In case it wasn't obvious, I do know that dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility. I do not know, however, how this dwarven calculator would react if anyone attempted the impossible. Please, someone try! xD
If you look back in the thread, some people did try, and they got 8008135, which is significant only in that the digits resemble the letter in "BOOBIES".
And so dwarf fortress solves yet another of lifes great mysteries.

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 01:11:08 am »

Also remember that the quality of containers like bins, large pots and jugs doesn't really matter, except in increasing fortress wealth.

So if you want to quickly train up extra stonecrafters or potters or carpenters, in case your original gets eaten by a crocodiles or something, use the workshop profile to force a particular dwarf to make jugs or pots or bins on repeat.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 02:09:43 am »

Ahhh... So as far as keeping dwarves happy goes, the "quality" of your drinks is determined principally by the skills of your herbalists and growers?  And using fertilizer should actually boost the happiness of all the dwarves in your fort?