Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fog of War for Fortress Mode  (Read 5453 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Fog of War for Fortress Mode
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2013, 12:45:00 pm »

Problem 1 is wrong. IIRC, every tile is always "loaded".
Problem 2 is right, but I'm not sure how much of an impact it would be. Certainly not as much as the extra calculations would be.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

darknessofthenight

• Bay Watcher
  • cannibalism is complicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2013, 05:05:26 pm »

What if when you walled of an area it kept its appearance exactly? i.e not showing that new trees have grown but showing the trees that were there last time you looked.

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 05:25:16 pm »

Perhaps there could be an option to "Show hidden, previously discovered areas" which could be toggled on and off? That way if you want to know if the cavern is there, you turn it on, and if you don't want to ruin your fort's beauty, you turn it off. Problem hopefully mostly solved.

blaster339

• Bay Watcher
  • Why did the chicken REALLY cross the road?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 06:31:12 am »

Its a good idea, but you should make bind it to a button so you can turn it off or on anytime since I think having no fog of war is pretty useful

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 09:04:35 am »

What if when you walled of an area it kept its appearance exactly? i.e not showing that new trees have grown but showing the trees that were there last time you looked.

I would render it in grayscale to show that it is "flashback" area, but yes, rendering it in latest known state is best way of doing it. IIRC, adventurer mode does this.

It would also look neat when you lockdown fortress to outside go grayscale and stop updating.

Still, biggest issue is selecting which tiles are out of sight and which are not because simple "can dwarves path to it?" is not going to cut it:

You can have inaccessible area, but dwarves can see it (from top of the wall, across moat, throught window or fortification)
You can have accessible area, but unvisited for years (distant part of caverns, tomb of hero...)

So you do need some sort of LOS.

Thou it would be pretty cool to see army unit on recon mission light-on and off tiles as they move through forested landscape.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 04:19:52 pm »

I think there should be a "hide area" designation that causes a selected area to become unrevealed.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]