Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47

Author Topic: Dom3 Round 11: Endymion as Agartha Won - Link to Playlist of my Videos  (Read 45625 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dom3 Round 11: Game in Progress
« Reply #270 on: January 24, 2013, 04:08:34 am »

Trapped as they are, the wild things of Pangaea continue to run like cowards and postpone a decisive engagement.

Which, I don't know, maybe that's what you should be doing, but it doesn't mean I have to like you for it.  :P
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:52:29 am by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 24, 2013, 06:13:11 am »

I would complain that you two are having all the interesting action go on in the one region I don't have any scouting in; however, I think my war is even less convenient for third parties to watch. I guess I should think about throwing up a cute lil AAR after the next decisive engagement.

So I can't really offer specific advice given my complete lack of knowledge about the war (other than the fact that there is a war going on), but in general running like cowards and postponing is a proper strategy if you are actually doing something with the time-- like researching some important spell or conjuring some enemy-specific army out of your gems or bribing some other player with your gems to join the war.
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 24, 2013, 09:34:31 am »

Well everyturn i get more freespawn naked ladys... I mean, the continued orgys in the name of mother nature are paying there tribute to my armys. Yeah. To bad all my money goes out for upkeep (how? I dunno, i don't have any "real" units).

Catch me if you can, Karlito

(I have no idea how turn order works, so yeah, you might actually catch and destroy me this turn, maybe not. I have no idea.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2013, 09:47:08 am »

Here's the turn resolution page:

http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Turn_resolution

Important stuff to know for advanced sneaky strats :)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2013, 11:56:34 am »

Thanks Knave - now what nation goes first, if all other things are equal? The faster one? ~crosses fingers~

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 24, 2013, 12:04:50 pm »

The relevant thing to realize is that all movement is calculated and finished before battles are calculated. This means that an army can never catch another army by chasing it. They have to guess where their enemy will be moving next turn. The one exception to this is when two armies move toward each other (though even then I believe they occasionally will move past each other without fighting). I believe I could stop your army with an assassin or teleporting mage, but I don't have access to either.

This is the one part of the game that I really don't enjoy, but at least the rules are fairly easy to understand.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:07:21 pm by Karlito »

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2013, 03:17:44 pm »

You could also likely force and engagement by shoving your army down his throat and taking his capital. Assuming, of course, you're ready to deal with the obvious response of him cutting off all retreat paths before fighting you there.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 24, 2013, 03:57:51 pm »

Or you could use flyers with a higher map move than the enemy.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 24, 2013, 04:11:43 pm »

Hey Akhier (Tien'chi), I think one of your provinces had a magic site that horror marks units.  One of my scouts was moving through and got one but I'm not exactly sure where it came from.

Woops sorry about the double post, I was tired and didn't even notice when I did it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:19:42 am by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 25, 2013, 06:58:15 am »

I found 0 nature magic sites so far, so thats fun.

There are normally no magic sites that need rank 4 or higher to find or? (The wiki seems down :I)

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 25, 2013, 01:24:13 pm »

I've lucked out in that regard-- my nature gem income is up to 3 now. Admittedly this is in part due to a LOT of searching(Conj 4 national spell of Agartha-- searches E, W, F, D all for 8 earth gems.), and my other results have been mediocre at best.

There are sites that require rank 4 in a given magic type to find; however, they are generally exceedingly rare. According to http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-3-the-awakening/forum/thread/site-searching-strategies there are a total of 17 level 4 sites. And since they are all 'rare' (which lowers their generation odds incredibly) we'd be lucky if there are 2 on the entire map.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 25, 2013, 01:35:52 pm »

One thing to keep in mind is how terrain types affect site searches. Forests are more likely to contain nature sites, mountains are more likely to contain earth sites. Any non-farmland province with a terrain is more likely to contain magic sites in general. Knowing where to focus your initial search efforts can pay off in the long run. Of course, if there aren't actually any nature sites to being with then it's not much help. I guess your only course of action is to invade the Agarthans. ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:39:48 pm by Karlito »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #282 on: January 26, 2013, 07:01:17 pm »

Darn it, I sent a turn in and the game did its thing and hosted and what not but then when I opened my turn it said stale turn so I rolled it back. Use the turn file that is newest as that should be right.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 26, 2013, 07:45:55 pm »

Seems to have worked out - using the latest turn i received and all is "in order."

This is like in the movies... there is a big thing that wants to eat you, you surive it - because something else eats it. Then that bigger thing stares at you. Hey there Argartha, snuggly allied with Sauromatia I assume? At least the fish are busy fighting each other for the moment...

*edit* I'm not going to come after - or near - you Karlito, even if you hate me for it, I wouldn't mind getting comfy on my side of the stalemate for a few turns longer... maybe I'll magically catch up?

*edit2* Argarta is to the North, Northeast, west and South of my provinces - on land and underwater. Oversized much?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:00:58 pm by ThtblovesDF »

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 26, 2013, 08:03:02 pm »

Seems to have worked out - using the latest turn i received and all is "in order."

This is like in the movies... there is a big thing that wants to eat you, you surive it - because something else eats it. Then that bigger thing stares at you. Hey there Argartha, snuggly allied with Sauromatia I assume? At least the fish are busy fighting each other for the moment...

*edit* I'm not going to come after - or near - you Karlito, even if you hate me for it, I wouldn't mind getting comfy on my side of the stalemate for a few turns longer... maybe I'll magically catch up?

*edit2* Argarta is to the North, west and South of my empire. Oversized much?

Yeah, that would be one of the "problems" of water provinces-- they're bigger than land provinces and as such amazing for movement and whatnot. I think that as of this turn I am the first nation to officially share a border with every other player in the game. Unless R'yleh had taken that honor a few turns back when he had taken my lake.

Anyways, there was quite the battle in the ocean that turn. I'll grab some screenshots and type up a post on it tonight or tomorrow so you can all enjoy, since I don't think anyone had scouts down there.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47