Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves building roads?  (Read 3661 times)

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
Dwarves building roads?
« on: December 27, 2012, 03:32:53 am »

I have a dwarf civ that up and decided to build roads and bridges. Do they occassionally like to do this? None of my other dwarf civs are doing so.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves building roads?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 04:10:32 am »

I've only noticed it in world gen when a civ conquers another civ.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 04:25:13 am »

They did it after nearly succeeding on genociding an elven civ, elves don't build roads either but... related perhaps?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 11:35:46 am »

Perhaps some human could have snuck into the process somewhere along the road...perhaps the elves were conquered by humans beforehand or something?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 12:14:57 pm »

Dwarves build roads, no ifs or buts.

[WORLD_CONSTRUCTION:ROAD]

Well, okay, some ifs and buts. They build roads between important/large settlements, which includes the major mountainhomes and human towns. It might include major forest retreats and dark towers that were conquered (or, in mods, created by a civ that builds roads - in the stock universe, elves and goblins don't build roads). It may take a bit for dwarven settlements to reach the level where they are considered "roadable", so that may be a reason why people seem to be surprised by that.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 12:48:08 pm »

Typically if you're poking around in legends mode, you'll see some civs that spend pretty much all their time at war, and others that are just building stupid crap and fighting the occasional named badger. If you take an embark out with the more warlike ones, you'll get a near 100% military trained immigrant population, but will get hardly any dwarves with decent civilian skills. If you pick one of the pansy civs, hardly any immigrants will have military experience, but there'll be many skilled civilians. There's some gray area between, but in general it's one or the other.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 05:08:13 pm »

Typically if you're poking around in legends mode, you'll see some civs that spend pretty much all their time at war, and others that are just building stupid crap and fighting the occasional named badger. If you take an embark out with the more warlike ones, you'll get a near 100% military trained immigrant population, but will get hardly any dwarves with decent civilian skills. If you pick one of the pansy civs, hardly any immigrants will have military experience, but there'll be many skilled civilians. There's some gray area between, but in general it's one or the other.
You're forgetting the large Dwarven empires that have already conquered their competitors or else live near areas of conflict; meaning you get skilled workers, and occasionally veteran gods of war show up armed with masterwork bronze weapons.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 12:48:59 am »

That's neat, I haven't heard of migrants like that before. I recall seeing one civ that had been fighting for its entire existence, and of about 200 immigrants in a fort there weren't any skilled civilians at all. It makes me think that world gen automatically drafts everyone whenever there's a war, starting them with a minimum 'adequate' in a civ skill and 'competent' in a weapon skill, and preventing more important dwarves from learning their social skills and the like. It may be more complicated than that, but there don't seem to be any extensive studies on it, unfortunately.  :/

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 01:58:27 pm »

I recall one world gen i had a dwarven civ lived entirely in an evil zone, half of the dwarves had troll and ogre kills under their belts and combat skills, the other half were fish dissectors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 10:39:26 pm »

...That is SO sigged.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.