Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 69151 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 39 - Alas, Poor Stumpy
« Reply #360 on: April 04, 2013, 03:43:41 pm »

If we can't get MP from displays of power, what CAN we get it from?
You may remember getting some from being in the water. Other MP-gathering activities include teaching things to people, stealing valuable objects, praying while drunk and more. Just do what God likes and you will be rewarded. Oh, and when Prophet Lars joins up, you will be able to get MP for setting people on fire. So that's good.
Why don't I have MP?
Who did you teach? I may have missed that one.
I gave a nice history/religion lesson over the last few turns, no?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 05, 2013, 12:07:46 am »

I gave a nice history/religion lesson over the last few turns, no?

Well, Zarah didn't really learn anything from that except that you're a lunatic who listens to weird spirits.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 40 - After Last Night
« Reply #362 on: April 05, 2013, 02:25:55 pm »

Turn 40 - After Last Night

Sejena the Temptress, having bandaged her wounds, is at a loss on what to do. She supposes she'll slink into shadows like one of the rats of the city. After all, it is quite a dangerous world she lives in. Despite her failure, she is not going to give up. This is merely a setback. As Sejena gets up and slowly proceeds out of the building, she curses the name of Naphezim of Vipuka, making a solemn promise on the way.

She will come back. Mark her words. And when she does, the people will know the wrath of Aulana the Terrible.

Gronok decides that it is best to skedaddle while the iron is still hot, so to speak.

"Well, if they were walking in oil I'm fairly sure Mo'kar wasn't favoring them. Anyhow, we might as well go the other way now that any guards down that way have died in a completely accidental fire."

"Stumpy was never known for his smarts, I have to admit. Let us go, then."

Together they head down another passage, walking through the maze of burned-out tunnels and taking in the scent of horrible devastation. Eventually they reach the passageway that leads out into the main hall.

It appears Gronok was incorrect in that last assumption of his. The guards are still very much alive. And now there's a whole lot more of them.

"Look, my fellows! Some of the infected yet live! Draw your bows! For Kezilam!"

Ah.

Phiali gathers up a very nice vegetarian lunch from the available food, then sets to making some useful things for himself.

[Craftsmanship roll: 5]

He takes out his trusty bone needle and thread, a wise traveler's constant companion. Taking some particularly large leaves from one of the nearby trees, he fashions a rather interesting-looking pack. Though it is bright green, it looks quite waterproof. And spacious, too.

However, to make a bow he'll have to hunt down an animal or two. And get some good wood as well. Both of those are things he doesn't have the tools for.

Elizas sighs at the woman's use-impaired state.

"These are dire consequences. Thank you, madam."

"Um. Yes. Good day, sir."

She runs away quickly. Elizas supposes it's time to get to work. He starts to search the house, looking in every corner, on every table and under every bed, but he cannot find so much as a single clue anywhere. Maybe he went on an errand and the women just scattered on their own business? If that's the case, they should come back eventually.

Shashari, faced with logistical difficulties, considers the bounty of nature. It probably exists, she supposes. She's never really partaken of it, to tell the truth, but she's heard of it from other people. Nature provides and all that. So there has to be some kind of bridgemaking material lying around.

Oh, she's got it!

"...well, can we haul a log?"

"Depends on the log, really."

"I will take that as a yes."

They go out and look for downed logs to steal from Mother Nature's greedy, unforgiving talons. Interestingly enough, they don't have to look very far - there seems to be a whole lot of toppled trees right nearby, and what's more, rather than old, dry husks that could break any second, these seem like rather young, flexible and durable trees. In fact, they seem to have been toppled by an animal digging out the earth around its roots rather than, say, the wind. Interesting and useful! The best kind of loot.

Shashari has the Siren and the ram drag the firm young trees over to the spot next to the bridge while she supervises. In no time at all, useful lumber is acquired and ready for use.

In the fields of East Tezelom, a middle-aged man slumbers. Well, perhaps slumbering isn't the best word for it. More like half-comatose from an overwhelming vision of the divine, a glimpse of a new awakening in the fundamental fabric of the universe. However, as all states of confusion and trauma, this too must pass. And right now is the perfect time for it.

Lars the Shepherd opens his eyes, taking in the sight of the midday sun. Where is he? What happened? Wait, it's coming back to him.

The flames. The light. God. Everything. It's all so clear to him now. There's the way the world is and there's the way the world should be. These are radically different, as one might suppose. And to minimize the difference between these, there is only one thing that will do. Fire. If there's one thing those Kezilamites have gotten right, it's all the fire. The flames will cleanse all, cull the unworthy and elevate the faithful. This is how it must be.

So, where was he? Oh, right. Shepherding the flock. The literal one, in this case. Hopefully nothing bad has happened to it. As Lars steps over the hill, he sees that the flock is still in place. Oh, good. It would be most unfortunate if anything had...

Wait a minute. Where has the ram gone?

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:41:18 pm by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 05, 2013, 02:50:02 pm »

((People threatening me? BULLSHITTING POWERS ACTIVATE))

Walking confidently towards them, Gronok unleashes his patent-pending Mouth of Words:
"Yes indeed we must find those heretics! Now, judging from what I know of heretics they always go to the most holy place so they can destroy them, so the altar room's where we'll find them! Let's go, faithful of God!"

Convert - play along.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:18:15 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 05, 2013, 03:10:40 pm »

Lars took in the scene.  Blast.  Old Hejad, the ram, had wandered again.  It was usually one of the others, but when Hejad wandered, he tended to make it a good one.  First is to check is favorite spot, though- downhill toward water, the lazy oaf.

But should he even bother?  So much had happened, so much new to consider... the flames... did these sheep even matter, now?

He couldn't just leave, though.  This would give him time to think.

"Hejad, come back here..."

Head downhill to search near water.  Ponder the nature of God, and try to recall any mission assigned to him in the vision.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 05, 2013, 04:13:27 pm »

"Meh, I don't need a bow that much."

Pack as much food as I can, and head in some civilized-looking direction.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 07, 2013, 10:16:25 am »

The return of the Second Day Bump.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 07, 2013, 10:24:04 am »

"Well, it comes to this."

Elizas finds a bottle of fine liquid, and gulps it down, as he uses Divine Knowledge to find Gezerim's location!
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 41 - The Buzz of Truth
« Reply #368 on: April 08, 2013, 12:23:02 pm »

Turn 41 - The Buzz of Truth

Gronok, seeing that the guards have their bows drawn with homicidal intent, attempts to counter their vile intent with his sheer charisma and confidence.

[Gronok charisma roll: 5+1]

"Yes, indeed we must find those heretics! Now, judging from what I know of heretics, they always go to the most holy place so they can destroy it, so the altar room's where we'll find them! Let's go, faithful of God!"

[Guard intelligence roll: ?]

The guards lower their bows.

"What in Kezilam's name are you talking about, you silly old bastard? There's no altar room, just the main hall! And it's the infected we're here to keep back!"

"And kill righteously in Kezilam's name if they happen to come into our line of sight."

"Yeah, that as well."

"So, is he infected or not? Looks pretty pestilent to me. And that guy over there looks to be under the weather as well."

[Convert charisma roll: 3]

The old man looks confusedly at Gronok, unsure of what one should do in such a situation.

Lars, noting the conspicuous absence of Old Hejad, decides to look for him. Probably couldn't have wandered far. He's probably just in his favorite spot downhill, right by the river. He heads over there and takes a gander, searching for any sign of the wayward cattle.

Well, he isn't there. That's odd. Scratching his head and going back to the flock, he notices something. Right there on the soft, damp ground. Tracks. One set of them seems to belong to a sheep or a ram - presumably Old Hejad. The other set belongs to a human being. A human being with rather small feet. A-hah! He knows of only one person in the area with feet that small, and that's Jezufim, the old, mean-spirited codger living some miles to the south. So he's at it again, the fiend. Rustling sheep that rightfully belong to someone else. Why, he ought to...

Wait. This isn't about him anymore. He has a greater purpose in life now. Well, he thinks. God has ordained that he become His prophet, and this takes precedence over any other matter. Lars tries to remember bits of his visions and recall something resembling a set of instructions.

It takes him but a second to remember. There is a great nest of heretics to the east of here, a temple of some kind. It is an unholy monument to a false god and as such presents a horrid affront to the One True God. The gist of the vision was that he do something about it, he recalls. And that there were some faithful needing help or some such. Or they will need help. It was a bit ambiguous. It's apparently a pretty dark place in a metaphorical sense. The name for it was... Kil-something. Kila... Kile... Kilnipom! Right, Kilnipom. So God wants him to go to Kilnipom, he's reasonably sure, then do something (in accordance with His nature, probably bring light and/or flames) about the horrible affront to Him that has been built there. Sounds simple enough, really.

From what he could understand, the place is some distance away, though not unreasonably so. However, Jezufim lives just beyond the nearby valley. Hm, obey immediately or do something else first? The ever-present dilemma of the wandering prophet, it seems.

Phiali fills his newly-made pack with all the food he can get, then tries to look for more civilized parts of the world. Can't live out in the frontier, after all. Not enough people, you know. And the ones present are largely zealots, annoyingly skeptic people or prone to giving him impossible quests. Therefore, they should best be left to their own devices for now.

Phiali climbs a tall tree and looks around for civilization. It looks to be a primeval forest apart from... wait, is that...? It is! A village in the distance! Maybe not a completely terrible one this time! He must get to it and bring the holy word to them!

He climbs down and moves toward the village at a steady pace, reaching it in several hours. Upon his arrival, he finds that the village is not, strictly speaking, a village. More like a collection of dilapidated wooden houses that look to be empty of life. Well, most of them, anyway. One house looks to be inhabited, a rather large clay and wood building at the foot of what looks like an unusually steep hill with a small stone shack-like thing on top of it.

Elizas realizes that there is only one thing left to do. Only one thing he can do. He grabs a nearby bottle of very fine wine and drinks it, pacing himself rather well. It's not very strong, but it does give him a very good buzz by the end. And with this buzz, he will know the truth!

He falls back in a comfy chair, looking at the ceiling. He closes his eyes.

Gezerim appears in his mind. He seems to be going down a street toward some sort of large house with a storehouse right next to it. As he goes toward it, he looks at a square right next to it, reflecting on the saddening lack of the proud golden statue of Azlippus that once stood there. The square looks kind of familiar - Elizas remembers passing it when going to Patalim's wife's residence. As Gezerim enters the house, Elizas wakes up.

Well, he supposes he knows where that guy is now.

1 MP expended!
Miracle performed while drunk! 1 MP regained!

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:25:27 pm by Harry Baldman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 08, 2013, 03:22:08 pm »

Double-check the other dwellings.

If no life is found, head to the inhabited house and knock on the door.

Oh, and what actions provide MP again? Teaching, setting heretics on fire, stuff I don't remember...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 03:38:16 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 08, 2013, 03:33:02 pm »

Well, that's an easy one, now that clarity of purpose has been obtained.

Lars considered for a minute, then nodded to himself.  Really, there were more important things in life.  The flock could take care of itself, and if Lars left for any real length of time, Jezufim would make off with the sheep.  At least they would be taken care of.  For now, his life had become subordinate to another purpose.  Just to be sure, he would pray for their safety.

Pray for the safety of the flock, then head straight to Kilnipom.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 08, 2013, 06:25:36 pm »

"Everyone knows that heretics are very sneaky, however! They'll even accuse faithful of being heretics in order to escape! Fortunately, I know a way to catch them, yes I do! I've caught plenty of heretics using this method Would you like to hear it? By now I'm sure the heretics have begun sneaking around - they've gone to ground and the only surefire, approved by Kezilam herself, way to catch them once they've begun sneaking is this one."

((Behold the power of the Bavarian Fire Drill!))
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:32:16 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 08, 2013, 07:08:35 pm »

"I got it!"

Elizas jumps up and heads out to the location he saw in his dream, bottle still in hand.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 09, 2013, 10:55:36 am »

Finally caught back up.  You are all pretty sad prophets.

Except Gronok.  He's awesome, even if he is reasonably incompetent.

Now we just all have to stand in water and deliver lessons to burning heretics whom you just robbed blind, all while drunk off your gourd to fund the fancy miracles!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 09, 2013, 11:13:24 am »

"Everyone knows that heretics are very sneaky, however! They'll even accuse faithful of being heretics in order to escape! Fortunately, I know a way to catch them, yes I do! I've caught plenty of heretics using this method. Would you like to hear it? By now I'm sure the heretics have begun sneaking around - they've gone to ground and the only surefire, approved by Kezilam herself, way to catch them once they've begun sneaking is this one."

"Oh, really now? Well, why don't you tell us about it?"

"Yeah, tell us!"
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 60