Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 69170 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 83 - Basics of Deconstruction
« Reply #855 on: September 22, 2013, 07:14:54 am »

Shashari sighed and stopped struggling for a bit, briefly fantasizing about a handsome prince to come and save her.

Then she remembered she had God's work to carry out. No time to faff about hoping a lonely prince will wander along prior to someone planning to wear her as a coat, after all!

Speaking of which... she was very tempted to call on God's aid a bit for this predicament. She really just wasn't cut out for escaping from things, apparently.

On the other hand... it seemed a bit silly to pray to God herself for assistance escaping from an unattended rope.

Once more! Remember stories about people considerably more adventurous than myself! THEY wouldn't have let a simple rope stop them! They'd also probably be competent and armed and strong but NEGATIVE THINKING GETS US NOWHERE NOW DOES IT.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 84 - Divine Demonstration
« Reply #856 on: September 22, 2013, 01:37:27 pm »

Turn 84 - Divine Demonstration

Lars explains the measures that will be required to achieve the requisite destruction of temples and so forth.

"It is quite simple.  We need a battering ram!  A large tree trunk would do.  Beyond that, hammers, chisels, and rope!  It is only a matter of putting your heart and faith into your work, and allowing divine inspiration to take you all!"

The crowd seems into it, Lars supposes. They immediately set about working, everybody pitching in for the building of a mighty ram to shake the foundations of buildings and faiths alike, a surprisingly well-done thing, Lars must say. It only takes them about three hours to get it all together, too. Luckily, there was plenty of stuff to use for such a purpose.

The villagers, one ram richer and having found a bunch of hammers and chisels as well, stand and look at Lars expectantly, waiting for instruction, it seems. A spot of divine inspiration, maybe.

Phiali tries to remain as truthful as possible, explaining his position.

"In order: Not that I know of, no, no, and yes."

And since this doesn't sound very good, he decides to summon up some mad divine favor to get the guy's attention. He focuses upon the open palm of his hand, praying for this to work. He isn't sure what's going to happen, but it better be good! He feels he isn't very popular with God right now.

As he slightly opens his eyes to see what's happening, he notices a small sphere of light appear in the palm of his hand. Sweet! He wonders what it might do. Fortunately, he doesn't need to wander long, as it momentarily erupts into tiny little luminous ribbons that stream and dance along his palm for a short bit before dissipating quickly. Okay, gotta make this good.

"The God's power can flow through anyone faithful who has earned The God's favor."

"Erm... okay. Does it do anything useful? How much of it can you do? Anything more impressive in your repertoire? I mean, that was quite intriguing, but I doubt it's going to persuade anyone you've got the best religion ever, you know?"

1 MP spent!

Elizas introduces himself straightforwardly.

"I am indeed foreign. I am Elizas, professional virtuoso. I was cast out of my African homeland due to intolerance of my beliefs in the true God. I hope that I may serve you all well as a musician."

There is a moment of quiet as the room looks at Elizas ponderously.

"... true god?"

Before people can think on this further, the leader of Elizas' sponsors intervenes.

"Perhaps a bit of a performance will serve adequately as well?"

Gronok decides to approach this from another angle.

"I apologize for my directness, good mother. What are you reading?"

The lady doesn't respond in any way, closing her eyes and resuming a recital.

Shashari, deciding to stop her desperate struggle before she pulls something important, wonders about what she could do about this predicament. She could pray, sure, but it seems kind of stupid to seek divine aid to escape a length of rope. Why, most people could escape a length of rope without even giving their wits much of a workout!

It then occurs to her that the people who could indeed do this are also likely to be the ones who would dislocate their ankles in the process. Deliberately. And dislocating her ankle, which Shashari isn't sure she could even do in good conscience, sounds like it would really, really hurt. Not to mention that she wouldn't really know how to pop it back into place, which would also consequently manifest as a world of hurt.

All in all, she doesn't think she can pull off the truly adventurous method of escaping the surly bonds of entrapment and touching the earth once more.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 22, 2013, 02:15:37 pm »

"Indeed, there are many other things the God's power can do, from healing to smiting enemies to accelerating travel! I would show you, but I have nothing in mind, and um..."

Shift about uncomfortably.

"...I haven't exactly been doing much to earn the God's favor. Not successfully, at least."

Try to convert them. Please roll for it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: September 22, 2013, 02:19:19 pm »

Try to convert them. Please roll for it.

To be honest, I really prefer not to. That way, it makes more sense.

And you of all people shouldn't be advocating more rolling, I would say.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 22, 2013, 02:24:07 pm »

Especially with my bonus, it works better than hoping they agree with me. Besides, I'd like it if Phiali failed by overshot and not by critfail for once.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: September 22, 2013, 02:45:36 pm »

Actually, about that. There's this thing - lots of people here have social interaction bonuses, but I'm seriously considering doing away with rolling for social interaction altogether, and just sticking with initial (hidden, of course) reaction rolls instead, with people being largely in charge of the whole interacting business themselves. If the players all agree, this would also necessitate some changes in their respective perks - in essence, you could change your abilities if you had something as vague as a +1 to charisma, and choose something more narrowly defined and differently useful instead.

If that doesn't sound like something you all want, I can just keep on rolling, of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: September 22, 2013, 03:36:11 pm »

Actually, about that. There's this thing - lots of people here have social interaction bonuses, but I'm seriously considering doing away with rolling for social interaction altogether, and just sticking with initial (hidden, of course) reaction rolls instead, with people being largely in charge of the whole interacting business themselves. If the players all agree, this would also necessitate some changes in their respective perks - in essence, you could change your abilities if you had something as vague as a +1 to charisma, and choose something more narrowly defined and differently useful instead.

If that doesn't sound like something you all want, I can just keep on rolling, of course.
((Not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, it's probably more flavorful. On the other, I do like the idea of being good (or bad) at social interaction.))

Shashari sighed.

"Are you suuuuuuuuure you don't want to come talk about this and be reasonable?" she called into the depths. "It'd probably be a lot better for everyone involved in the long run!"

Futile diplomacy.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: September 22, 2013, 07:47:31 pm »

Tap the lady on the shoulder in an attempt to get her attention.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: September 22, 2013, 08:15:13 pm »

Lars raised his arms.

"Well done, faithful of the True God!  Now we shall tear down this heretical structure!  Start with the support pillars!

Get ramming.  Point out obvious external pillars and stuff, then work on the exterior walls.  Outside in, basically.

Color me ambivalent on this one- I'll bow to your will.  How would my ability need to change, since it's my only negative?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: September 22, 2013, 08:16:55 pm »

((Hmm. While this is my primary skill and the only thing that's kept me alive, I wouldn't mind changing if that's what you want to do.))
Sig! Onol

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 29, 2013, 01:11:43 pm »

Perform.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 85 - And We're Back
« Reply #866 on: October 05, 2013, 01:52:32 pm »

Turn 85 - And We're Back

Phiali gently eases into explaining to the fellow that times have been a mite rough lately.

"Indeed, there are many other things the God's power can do, from healing to smiting enemies to accelerating travel! I would show you, but I have nothing in mind, and um..." he stammers, shifting his posture. "... I haven't exactly been doing much to earn the God's favor. Not successfully, at least."

"But hey! We can start turning that around, can't we? You and I, we can put God on the map together! Get believers and so forth, spread the word, get tithes and lovely cultists to instruct in our policy of polygamy, that sort of thing. It's not very often that you can say that you're working with a bona fide prophet? A magical bona fide prophet?"

"Can you do any more of that magic?"

"Not yet, no. I need to do things that please God to get more miraculous magical abilities."

"And that would be..."

"Theft, burning heretics, ruining marriages, among other things. Like converting people, for instance."

"Doesn't sound too difficult. So, first priority is to get more divine favor, which we do right here, as surreptitiously as possible. Any preferences on what sort of activity you'd like to do? I'm thinking you should try theft first - adultery's punishable by death, after all."

Shashari tries to reason with the darkness some more.

"Are you suuuuuuuuure you don't want to come talk about this and be reasonable? It'd probably be a lot better for everyone involved in the long run!" she yells, the blood still rushing to her head and getting highly uncomfortable at this point. She clearly hears something laughing a distance away.

She isn't sure what exactly it finds so funny. Maybe uneducated troglodytes have a terribly overactive sense of humor.

Gronok taps the lady on the shoulder. She looks at him in a manner that makes Gronok step back, not out of any sense of intimidation, but rather because he suddenly feels he has violated some sort of rule. She looks at him questioningly, though Gronok gets the feeling that she is doing this purely out of politeness and not out of any interest in what he is really saying.

Lars congratulates the faithful on their marvelous engineering work, and instructs them further.

"Well done, faithful of the True God!  Now we shall tear down this heretical structure!  Start with the support pillars!"

And the people do begin their work - it goes quite slowly, most unfortunately. This temple seems ancient and sturdy, and the battering ram is having trouble with its mighty, fortress-like walls and giant columns. Perhaps some more powerful device is required, Lars thinks.

Elizas goes ahead and gives the temple residents a free sample of what he's offering - the freshest musical stylings in Berikalam, no more, no less!

[Elizas performance roll: 3+1+1]

Though hardly the same fervor he experienced back in the brothel, he manages to pull off a very nice showcasing of his musical talents, performing complex, yet also quite catchy riffs, the alien nature of his music catching the temple residents by surprise at first, though they ease into the music quickly enough. After about ten minutes of showing off, his sponsor motions for him to quiet down for a moment.

"He is quite good, is he not?"

"Certainly very foreign, yes."

"Add a few vocal harmonies and he might become even better! I say we take him on."

The oldest woman in the temple, about sixty from the looks of it, suddenly speaks up.

"What of our current musician?" she asks, pointing at the zither man, who looks quite crushed. "Are we to throw him out as repayment for the years he has spent with us?"

"Oh, certainly not. We will allow him to stay here for the rest of his days, of course. It's just that our new temple musician will-"

"And what about this true god that the new candidate mentioned? Is he even a faithful of Kezilam?"

She turns to Elizas, looking at him with a measure of hostility. The hall is rather quiet now.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 05, 2013, 06:58:46 pm »

Hmm. I'd like to keep the bonus to storytelling, so how about have it be for making them convincing instead? A 1 would be inconsistent in details, crappy in delivery, or just percieved badly by the person I'm telling it to for whatever reason, with the bonuses slowly adding up.
The +1 for charisma, on the other hand ... hmm. Probably ... I'd like to say 'making it seem like I know what I'm talking about/sincerity', but if that can't apply, let me know.
Also, am I wrong in guessing that she took a vow of silence?
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 05, 2013, 07:59:01 pm »

"Hm...theft wouldn't be terrible, but I'd prefer not to be perceived as a cult of criminals. Um...yeah, theft unless you can think of someone easily-converted...can you think of something or someone to steal or steal from that most people would either not care about or approve of?"

Begin planning heist.

Oh, and another thing that I wish to address - Phiali's advantages. I have come to realize over a long time that "+1 to rolls to avoid death" and "+1 to rolls involving faith" are incredibly vague, and haven't done anything about it mostly because Phiali doesn't get to put either of these bonuses to much use. If you don't mind, GWG, I'd like you to change those to something more precise. For avoiding death, specify dodging, toughness or something else, and for faith... not so sure. You could theoretically argue that pretty much everything you do as a prophet involves faith, so that description does not tell me much at all.
((For the avoid-death thing, I was imagining more of the "toughness" thing. For the faith...I have no idea, actually. Let me check that character sheet...))

((EDIT: Yeah, no idea what that would be. Not getting converted? Resisting magic of enemy gods? I honestly don't know what I had in mind.))
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:14:49 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 05, 2013, 08:16:43 pm »

"Of course. Yeah."

Bluff with whatever these people are talking about.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60